U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-10-2009, 10:48 AM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,457,074 times
Reputation: 3868

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Obama did not play the race card. He did not mention race when he said that the cop behaved stupidly.
LOL!!! You're kidding, right?

 
Old 09-10-2009, 10:48 AM
 
1,891 posts, read 3,834,603 times
Reputation: 1463
Quote:
Originally Posted by gualm View Post
As far as Asians, not all of them have upstanding morals. There are many asian gangs, there are a lot of asians involved in drugs, prostitution and the child slave trade. Look at all the credit card fraud from India. All the unsafe products being produced in China & shipped here. We just had a woman in my area whose business last week was shut down and is being investigated. She is suspected of running a brothel under the guise of a massage parlor for the last 10 years. I think many times asians are not targeted as criminals because they are just more descreet about it. The same for whites. But many times it is their crimes that impact us on a greater scale i.e. Bernie Madoff, Enron. It is easier to go to black neighborhoods because they openly sell drugs or commit illegal acts. Even so, many times in black neighborhoods the cops only arrest when there is a public outcry to do so.
True. Asian communities in large urban centers have long had the presence of crooks and criminals, and I don't mean petty thieves or pickpockets. I mean organized crime just as you said. There have been Korean, Chinese, and Vietnamese-operated brothels in ethnic enclaves catering strictly to these communities, and they tend to 'employ' illegal alien females from those countries, who were often prostitutes in their home countries and some of whom came here voluntarily to perform the same job.

But one thing I'll say - Asians are probably less suspected than blacks or Hispanics because they don't figure as greatly in this nation's psyche when one thinks of violent crime. But that Asians do have criminals in their midst, that is true.
 
Old 09-10-2009, 12:01 PM
eek
 
Location: Queens, NY
3,576 posts, read 6,450,056 times
Reputation: 1419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
LOL!!! You're kidding, right?
person A lives in a house. can't get into said house because the door is locked.
person A, along with his chauffer tries to open the door through the back after struggling with the door in the front.
person B calls the police on person A because she doesn't recognize her neighbor and thinks that two ppl are attempting to break into person A's house.

officer C arrives on the scene with the information that two ppl are trying to break into a house.
officer C, after much discussion, some of it heated, i'm sure, realizes/comes to the conclusion that person A basically broke into his own home because the door was locked and he didn't have a key.

officer C does not leave after this, instead, officer C gets into a shouting match with person A who probably feels dumb as hell and now feels that there is racial profiling going on because officer C is still in his house after knowing who's house it was. he probably feels racial profiling occured because the police were called in the first place. person A is heated to the point where he isn't thinking rationally and he does not put himself in officer C's shoes.

officer C now knowing that he is standing in person A's house decides to arrest him for yelling.

not because he was a threat.
not because he broke into someone else's house.
but because he was yelling at an officer standing in his house.

officer C should have left. he acted stupidly by arresting person A.

from the president's point of view, where does race come into this??
 
Old 09-10-2009, 12:16 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,457,074 times
Reputation: 3868
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
from the president's point of view, where does race come into this??
BLACK professor arrested by a WHITE police officer.

Our BLACK President, after admitting both that he knows the BLACK professor and that he doesn't know all the facts, said that the police acted stupidly.


Don't even TRY to tell me that Obama's "acted stupidly" remark wasn't all about race. Any and everybody knows that it was. Period.

The only two people who "acted stupidly" are both black - Henry Gates and Barack Obama. And they did so because they made it all about race.
 
Old 09-10-2009, 12:16 PM
 
44,564 posts, read 43,103,689 times
Reputation: 14375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
LOL!!! You're kidding, right?
I am not kidding. Obama didn't mention race. He did not say anything about racism. He said something about the police officer acting stupid. The officer was acting stupid. I would agree that yelling at a police officer isn't smart, but according to the law in MA, it isn't illegal. The cop acted stupid by arresting Gates because a cop is suppose to know the law and uphold it. Arresting someone for something that isn't illegal is very stupid. Obama didn't say a word about race. He just said the police officer acted stupidly, not mentioning race or racism. How is that playing the race card if race isn't even mentioned?
 
Old 09-10-2009, 12:18 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,457,074 times
Reputation: 3868
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I am not kidding. Obama didn't mention race. He did not say anything about racism. He said something about the police officer acting stupid. The officer was acting stupid. I would agree that yelling at a police officer isn't smart, but according to the law in MA, it isn't illegal. The cop acted stupid by arresting Gates because a cop is suppose to know the law and uphold it. Arresting someone for something that isn't illegal is very stupid. Obama didn't say a word about race. He just said the police officer acted stupidly, not mentioning race or racism. How is that playing the race card if race isn't even mentioned?
You know better than that!

Read post 1274.

You, me, eek, and the rest of the world all know that Obama's remarks have EVERYTHING to do with race.
 
Old 09-10-2009, 12:18 PM
 
44,564 posts, read 43,103,689 times
Reputation: 14375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
BLACK professor arrested by a WHITE police officer.

Our BLACK President, after admitting both that he knows the BLACK professor and that he doesn't know all the facts, said that the police acted stupidly.


Don't even TRY to tell me that Obama's "acted stupidly" remark wasn't all about race. Any and everybody knows that it was. Period.

The only two people who "acted stupidly" are both black - Henry Gates and Barack Obama. And they did so because they made it all about race.
Gates may have mentioned race, but Obama didn't. He didn't say a word about Black and White.
 
Old 09-10-2009, 12:20 PM
eek
 
Location: Queens, NY
3,576 posts, read 6,450,056 times
Reputation: 1419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
BLACK professor arrested by a WHITE police officer.

Our BLACK President, after admitting both that he knows the BLACK professor and that he doesn't know all the facts, said that the police acted stupidly.
you're injecting race into the situation when race clearly wasn't a factor as far as obama coming to the conclusion that he came to.

reread my last post. the only one that put race into the situation was the professor.

with that said, i DO think that if he was white the officer would have left.
 
Old 09-10-2009, 12:21 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,457,074 times
Reputation: 3868
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
you're injecting race into the situation when race clearly wasn't a factor as far as obama coming to the conclusion that he came to.
LOL!!!!!!!! Too funny!

"But I think it's fair to say, No. 1, any of us would be pretty angry; No. 2, that the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home; and, No. 3 ... that there's a long history in this country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately."


Those are the words of the President himself. Care to rescind your claims, or just leave them there so that everyone cane read them?
 
Old 09-10-2009, 12:21 PM
 
65 posts, read 126,749 times
Reputation: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
You wrote an interesting post, but before I address the rest, can I ask you to explain this statement? What do you mean by "necessary?"
I believe my original post was quite clear what implicit action Whites, Asians, Hispanics, etc, all need to take since they believe that Blacks are bringing down their quality of life--since they have the means to band together and eliminate what they find repugnant to their collective psyches.

Quote:
You are wrong about that, and you need to re-think such broad-brush statements. You cannot presume to speak for hundreds of millions of people, and you shouldn't.
And I repeat again, it amazes me how Whites positively loathe being generalized and not being recognized for their individuality, but they have no problem generalizing and gleefully vilifying Blacks as is evidence based on this thread and by the myriad theories proposed and believed by the majority culture about black people from congenital birth defect, low IQ and somehow we just have a stunning propensity to be criminals and breed like rabbits. If Whites and Others truly saw Blacks as individuals instead of as a monolith, this thread would have died and there wouldn’t be a compulsive need to trumpet the failures of Black people.

Quote:
DMoon:

What your treatise just outlined could be applied to Asians as a group also.............the reality is we (the USA) tend to receive their best and brightest individuals as well. Think about it: most Chinese in China are dirt poor.
Of course there are parallel examples with immigrants but these groups are still seen quite differently and are not in any way pleased with their supposed parallel experiences. Asians certainly do not feel any solidarity with Blacks and often feel that they are better, plus as I state before, globally they are seen differently. One with willful contempt--Africans can't rule their own countries and always have their hand out looking for humanitarian aid, while Asians—can bask in the frank admiration and hidden fear of Whites and others-- with their long history and civilization whose burgeoning global dominance cannot be ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top