U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2009, 09:27 PM

742 posts, read 1,049,589 times

Advertisements

feral cats need to be put down because they can not be acclimated to civilization, are they the analog for slaves?

Old 09-12-2009, 08:38 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,640,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
feral cats need to be put down because they can not be acclimated to civilization, are they the analog for slaves?
Virtually any housecat can revert to feral; just like us humans-----------especially when the rules of society break down and it becomes survival of the fittest. War and severe natural disasters come to mind............

The difference its that us humans as a group can be 'socialized' to at least function----------even isolated captives from early childhood.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:19 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,091,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Virtually any housecat can revert to feral; just like us humans-----------especially when the rules of society break down and it becomes survival of the fittest. War and severe natural disasters come to mind............

The difference its that us humans as a group can be 'socialized' to at least function----------even isolated captives from early childhood.
true...and lets not forget, the word 'feral' is merely a descriptor of behavior...not necessarily a reference their biological composition.

Last edited by solytaire; 09-12-2009 at 11:31 AM..

Old 09-13-2009, 04:57 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,991,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Blacks and Hispanics are more likely to get pulled over for drugs than Whites. There is statistical evidence to support this. Every ethnic group is subject to getting pulled over sadly enough, but Blacks and Hispanics suffer from it more than most people. There is statistical evidence.
Blacks are more likely than whites to be stopped? True enough. For example, in New York City during the first three months of 2009 52% of all people stopped for questioning by the police were black. Blacks are 24% of the city's population.

According to data from victims and witnesses, blacks commit about 82% of all shootings and 72% of all robberies. So although blacks are over represented in stops compared to their numbers, they are under represented compared to the number of crimes committed by them.

If the stops mirrored racial rather than crime demographics, the police would be ignoring where crime is actually occurring. The police are not interested in harrassing blacks. They are interested in preventing crime. The number of blacks stopped is no more racial profiling than stopping more men than women is sexual profiling.

- Reel

Old 09-13-2009, 06:57 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,640,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
Blacks are more likely than whites to be stopped? True enough. For example, in New York City during the first three months of 2009 52% of all people stopped for questioning by the police were black. Blacks are 24% of the city's population.

According to data from victims and witnesses, blacks commit about 82% of all shootings and 72% of all robberies. So although blacks are over represented in stops compared to their numbers, they are under represented compared to the number of crimes committed by them.

If the stops mirrored racial rather than crime demographics, the police would be ignoring where crime is actually occurring. The police are not interested in harrassing blacks. They are interested in preventing crime. The number of blacks stopped is no more racial profiling than stopping more men than women is sexual profiling.

- Reel
And most crime committed by Blacks is against other Blacks----------which nixes any 'race card' right there.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:02 AM

2,256 posts, read 5,907,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And most crime committed by Blacks is against other Blacks----------which nixes any 'race card' right there.
Agreed

Because if it was white on black all the time, we would be seeing Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson on the news everyday. Just the facts.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:50 AM

487 posts, read 549,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post

The 100% effort required of whites is that the whites would also have to be willing accept that blacks are in their very peculiar situation for a historical reason.
Lol sorry but I don't owe anybody anything. Its not my fault some blacks refuse to get an education and would rather live in the projects selling drugs and poppin' caps.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:26 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,991,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
The 100% effort required of whites is that the whites would also have to be willing accept that blacks are in their very peculiar situation for a historical reason. Without attempting to parallel the experience of virtually the entire black culture, to the experience of one or two generations of mistreated European/Asian immigrants. Because there is no experience that correlates with the history of the black experience in this country. Plain and simple.
Aw come on. It's not just in this country. It's many, many other countries as well. And it's not just the last 400 years of the slave trade and colonialism. It's all throughout history.

What the heck has the black experience in this country got to do with how well YOU are or are not doing. I suggest the answer is nothing, zero, nada. How well you do is up to you, my friend!

- Reel

Old 09-13-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
Lol sorry but I don't owe anybody anything.

Again, 100% effort on all behalves...

You dont owe anyone anything for sure...no one stated you did..that is why I said that whites would also have to be willing (which I fully understand that many arent) to consider the history of blacks in this country, when assessing their situation.

As you arent willing to do so, then you are also a part of the problem imo...no doubt you will deny this and deflect the responsibility you share for helping to prevent societal problems back upon minorities.

Oversimplification, such as your's, of the source of the problem in the minority community is every bit as much of a restraint upon their progress, as them 'choosing' to live in the projects and sell drugs. This is telling of someone with absolutely no perspective other than that of a gleeful spectator. If that continues to be the outlook of people we can never truly expect blacks to help themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
Its not my fault some blacks refuse to get an education and would rather live in the projects selling drugs and poppin' caps.
Its not anyone's fault that some whites choose to live in trailer parks, (as well as suburban areas) and USE drugs, and pop caps as well, while ALSO refusing to get an education..

however according to people in this thread education is useless and undesirable anyway, as both public and private educational institutions are dictated by the liberal agenda/theology...so truthfully the education factor is voided -- as education these days is lent no credence anyway.

Its easy to say what all is not our fault..that is an indolent/inactive position which allows us to stay snuggly nestled in our enclaves, remaining as spectators to calamity. It's almost a coward's mantra. What's harder is making the decision to imbibe a responsibility to aid in the enhancement of something other than ourselves.

It wasnt our "fault" that Sadaam Hussein was an "evil dictator" or supposedly had weapons of mass destruction..yet our nation still felt completely justified in imposing our presence upon his territory; because we believed that we had a moral responsibility as "compassionate" humans, and as a society, to interject. Yet in our own country we are quite content with the inactive stance that dictates that since something isnt our "fault", it is perfectly acceptable to watch the decline of others. Why cant we take that same proactive attitude in our own country, that we take in others?

Again, I simply dislike the hypocrisy of our nation.

Lol

Old 09-13-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Aw come on. It's not just in this country. It's many, many other countries as well. And it's not just the last 400 years of the slave trade and colonialism. It's all throughout history.

What the heck has the black experience in this country got to do with how well YOU are or are not doing. I suggest the answer is nothing, zero, nada. How well you do is up to you, my friend!

- Reel
I cant disagree entirely, because I say the same thing...but I do think that that perspective is also a problem when its not used in the proper context...the black experience (which spans centuries in this country) has EVERYTHING to do with how well black individuals do in this country...it has quite frankly placed them well behind the starting line of cultural, educational, and economic advancement in this country.

Though great sounding slogans, stating reality in such binaries as "How well you do is up to you"..or "Well those sympathizers of the black experience are only advocating a lack of personal accountability." -- those slogans really do our society a disservice towards actually changing the current conditions of blacks. (of course, that too is dependent upon whether all of us are complaining because we truly want to see a change, or whether we only like having certain scapegoat cultures to complain about)...
I say this because, though I am ALSO a believer that blacks are accountable for their own future progress...I am in no way foolish enough to think that they are fully responsible for their current situation.

I personally think there is a distinction to be made between holding black culture accountable for its own progress going forward, and attributing total responsibility to a failed black culture for its present state. Similarly, I dont think that whites are fully responsible for their current situation, but they should also be held accountable for their actions going forward. It may sound like mere semantics, but the distinction is one that would be beneficial to both blacks, and whites...and it makes the provision for historical context.

Because, again, if we honestly believe that blacks just innately love to live in squalor and crime infested culture, then that would be an implication toward their natural predilections, rather than the effects of their history/experience in this country.

And, as I will continue to say, if blacks are naturally inclined to live in such conditions, then there are no corrections to be made nor complaints to be had..after all, one wouldnt expect a flower
to grow as tall as a tree...and then complain when it doesnt

Quote:
And Reelist, Im not sure if you've seen some of my other posts, but if you have, I hope you notice that I do acknowledge that neither slavery nor oppression is exclusive to the black culture. But in this country, (the country in which African Americans are expected to thrive and succeed) the black experience is indeed unique. It would be very irresponsible of me to divert any mention of a unique black experience in this country, by redirecting and expanding the subject to absorb every other civilization; thereby diluting the focus on the absolutely unique experience of blacks in this country.

Every civilization has had crime, drugs, and a sector of its populace that is uneducated. But I wouldnt dare redirect the topic towards every other civilization when attempting to address the misbehavior and underachievement of blacks in this country..

so I wont begin doing it when speaking on the misbehavior of early Europeans in this country either.

Last edited by solytaire; 09-13-2009 at 12:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates