U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2009, 06:59 AM

8,293 posts, read 22,476,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Until blacks and many Hispanic communities move away from the culture of having children out of wedlock it will remain the way it is.

I live in an area that is about 50/50 black/white. When I see a black woman with children I fully expect that there will not be a wedding ring on her finger. It is the opposite with white women with children.
Where I live is well over 50% black, and what you're saying about black ladies with children is spot on. In fact, it goes beyond the wedding ring thing. If said lady has 3-4 children, it's a good bet that there are 3-4 fathers (sperm donors).

One of the heart-breaking aspects of this is that mentioning it is sure to bring about comments like, "You're a racist! You're a hater! You're a bigot!" And in so doing, a very important message is ignored.

Regardless of race, statistics show that young girls who have babies are almost guaranteeing themselves (and their kids) that they'll live their lives in poverty. Also, boys have a very hard time growing up to be good men if they have no good men to emulate. A family without a dad can succeed, but it is much harder.

So... What do we do?

Old 05-23-2009, 09:39 AM
miu

16,475 posts, read 33,447,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Where I live is well over 50% black, and what you're saying about black ladies with children is spot on. In fact, it goes beyond the wedding ring thing. If said lady has 3-4 children, it's a good bet that there are 3-4 fathers (sperm donors).

One of the heart-breaking aspects of this is that mentioning it is sure to bring about comments like, "You're a racist! You're a hater! You're a bigot!" And in so doing, a very important message is ignored.

Regardless of race, statistics show that young girls who have babies are almost guaranteeing themselves (and their kids) that they'll live their lives in poverty. Also, boys have a very hard time growing up to be good men if they have no good men to emulate. A family without a dad can succeed, but it is much harder.

So... What do we do?
Change the welfare system. Provide free birth control. There also needs to be birth control pill developed for the guys, just to protect them from the women that hope to keep the men by having their babies.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:01 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,706,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Change the welfare system. Provide free birth control. There also needs to be birth control pill developed for the guys, just to protect them from the women that hope to keep the men by having their babies.
Male birth control is on it's way right now.

Male birth control pill soon a reality - Men's Sexual Health Guide- msnbc.com

But I make the prediction that if it has the same side effects for men as it does for women (weight gain, moodiness, acne, lowered libido), the men will stop taking it with a quickness. For most men, the urgency just isn't there like it is for women.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:01 AM

38,770 posts, read 37,960,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Male birth control is on it's way right now.

Male birth control pill soon a reality - Men's Sexual Health Guide- msnbc.com

But I make the prediction that if it has the same side effects for men as it does for women (weight gain, moodiness, acne, lowered libido), the men will stop taking it with a quickness. For most men, the urgency just isn't there like it is for women.
I think it probably will never be as urgent for men because our bodies don't dramatically like a womans.

I don't know if men could ever understand completely.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:49 PM

2,880 posts, read 5,076,559 times
The focus on birth control is intriguing. Maybe felons can be persuaded to sterilize themselves in exchange for a lighter sentence or better education once in the pen.

Breaking the cycle of poverty is virtually impossible with uneducated teenagers from poor broken families giving birth to children whose similarly uneducated teen "sperm donators" have left.

I think such egregious burdens placed on society should not come without costs. Some kind of indentured servitude, say cleaning public toilets or other abused public spaces for weekends until said children are 18 would seem to be a good place to start. Add to that some garnishing of wages.

Nor are the teen Mom's going to get out of this without a similar sentence. Incentives for voluntary sterilization should be given. Hard enough raising one...Some incentives from home biz to real salaried jobs. And before anyone thinks this is horrible, such incentivized help should be appreciated, as they are virtually nonexistent to most of the poor of the world.

One or two years after Kid graduates from college, all parent-funded programs cease. And poverty cycle is broken.

Right now, the burden of ten irresponsibility falls on taxpayers. Let's push it on to the parties involved but with a bit more structure and indentured servitude.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:58 PM

343 posts, read 1,232,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Until blacks and many Hispanic communities move away from the culture of having children out of wedlock it will remain the way it is.

I live in an area that is about 50/50 black/white. When I see a black woman with children I fully expect that there will not be a wedding ring on her finger. It is the opposite with white women with children.

The problem is that alot of whites are beginning to embrace having kids out of wedlock as well.

Its not a racial thing, but it is a cultural problem.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:37 PM

43,858 posts, read 43,585,576 times
People can be stupid in any color.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:06 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,706,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
People can be stupid in any color.
Yeah, but do you think some colors get more than their fair share?

Old 05-29-2009, 04:47 AM

943 posts, read 2,708,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
The problem is that alot of whites are beginning to embrace having kids out of wedlock as well.

Its not a racial thing, but it is a cultural problem.
White kids have always had babies out of wedlock but not to the level of Hispanic or black kids. It is the degree of the problem that makes the difference.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:40 AM

1,055 posts, read 2,055,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
White kids have always had babies out of wedlock but not to the level of Hispanic or black kids. It is the degree of the problem that makes the difference.
It still doesn't matter. An OOW kid is an OOW kid, no matter the color or the amount born. If there are OOW kids, then we need to find the cultural problems for this, not racial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates