Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2009, 03:48 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Then why even start a thread with such a provocative title as this in the first place? Doesn't make sense to me.
Call it an experiment it was my first one in great debates that is provocative.

Another part of me believes that there is no reason for blacks and Hispanics to be "down trodden" as they are. It's not b/c of the color of their skin but a culture thing that no seems in a big hurry to fix.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:33 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Then why even start a thread with such a provocative title as this in the first place? Doesn't make sense to me.

This has been my position on it the whole time as well...I kept asking that same question myself:

Why ask this question (Whats wrong with Blacks, Hispanics but not Asians), under the guise of trying to obtain an explanation for the status of minority cultures, when its blatantly obvious that you dont TRULY want to hear the real reason? The purpose of this thread was for someone to be able to anonymously air a shallow assessment of the state of specific minority cultures, and receive affirmation for their perceptions of those minority cultures.

Essentially this thread was only a surreptitious attempt to put forth what some think is a valid, (albeit very superficial) observation regarding what they perceive to be minority cultures. It was intended to be a vapid commentary on the current condition of certain minorities while masquerading as a question posed by some disingenuous "concerned" poster.

Last edited by solytaire; 06-03-2009 at 04:43 PM..

Old 06-03-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
a question posed by some disingenuous "concerned" poster.
Oh okay. Since there have been numerous books written on this very issue.

Quote:
perceptions of those minority cultures.
Just like how they are portrayed in real life in every city and 99% of movies and books and studies. I also throw in white trash as well in my posts.

Quote:
you dont TRULY want to hear the real reason?
I know I have been told it's b/c of slavery and scars of slavery, but doesn't explain how the Jewish people go from nearly extinct to one of the more prosperous ethnic groups?

Old 06-03-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Oh okay. Since there have been numerous books written on this very issue.

Just like how they are portrayed in real life in every city and 99% of movies and books and studies. I also throw in white trash as well in my posts.

I know I have been told it's b/c of slavery and scars of slavery, but doesn't explain how the Jewish people go from nearly extinct to one of the more prosperous ethnic groups?

They are one of the more prosperous groups in THIS country (not inside the country that holds the multi-generational lineage of persecution of that group). Check out how well they have done inside the country in which they were persecuted, prior to foreign intervention and the CONCERTED EFFORT by the German govt. to acknowledge their disparagement, appoint Jews to positions of authority, and fund the prosperity of Jews in their country. They (Jews) are just now BEGINNING to rebound from disenfranchisement in the country in which they were persecuted.

Secondly, I really think the comparison of Jews (a religious minority) and blacks (a racial minority) is a flawed one. Many Jews (ethnic Jews) renounce their faith or are not openly practicing the religion, as was the case with my former coworker. It is not possible for Black people to renounce their history nor appearance; even if, in seeking an easier course in life, they did want to.

But one mis-communication in this whole debate it seems, is that people keep insisting that sympathizers of the black plight are attributing the lack of progress to general slavery AND racism...I notice that these are the two main focal points that non-minorities seem to extract from the statements of those who attempt to put the plight of, particularly blacks, into perspective.

Personally, you have never seen me, on this thread, and rarely in reality do I imply that the plight of present day blacks have much to do with general enslavement. As Im sure you're aware, slavery happened to be a tragic incident in history that had its tentacles in virtually every region of the globe, and to a lesser extent involving every race as both victim and perpetrator at some time, and in some capacity.

I think people should quit extracting from the explanations that mere enslavement was one of the main components that has impeded the progress of Blacks in this country. Because it is too general of an explanation and slavery on its face IS just an excuse.

The most impacting disparity that we can actually account for, came about after slavery had ended, when Blacks were systematically restricted from the entities of this country that empowers ANY and EVERY demographic seeking a better future for its FUTURE GENERATIONS. That is but one of the few roles that actual race played in the hindrance of blacks (aside from lynchings/intimidation of course...lol).

The rest of the hindrances were largely immaterial elements of society occurring as collateral damage from the economic enterprise of slavery that, today, we take for granted: (familial cohesiveness, retention of ancestral culture if we so choose, retention of native language if we so choose, access to equal or at least decent education, the OPTION to assimilate to the mainstream culture OR continue engaging in our respective cultural traditions, having and knowing one's ancestral/geographic origins and having a valid and unified ethnic identity, the ability to come to this country and return to a homeland as one pleases...sustaining relationships with relatives in ones homeland, etc.)

....these were the seemingly inconsequential intangibles that hundreds of thousands of Black families did not have the option to indulge in for generations (not for a couple of or even a few decades)...and by which subsequent generations have been impacted.

And again, those things were collateral damage from slavery. And they only resulted from the iniquitous WAY that slavery was conducted in this country; as opposed to the more humane way in which it was conducted with, oh lets say Jews (since they do seem to be the benchmark that people keep choosing to set forth in this thread), for example.

I try to make that distinction because it is so easy to dissemble those iniquities and inequalities with the vague, generic use of the term "slavery". Slavery in its self was what slavery was to every culture that experienced it (you dont hear many other cultures whining about the effects of slavery on their culture because textbook slavery, in itself, is hardly enough to cripple an entire culture)...but the WAY that "slavery" was conducted in this country did not even adhere to the what the definition of slavery was, in THAT time period nor in other regions of the world. And the events and written laws that were enacted since the inhumane transgressions resulting from the WAY slavery was conducted in this country, have precluded the formation of proper scar tissue.

Last edited by solytaire; 06-03-2009 at 07:05 PM..

Old 06-03-2009, 07:12 PM

Another point: young blacks today who are born in 1995 whining about how bad they have b/c of 400 yrs of slavery is like us whining about our current recession saying it's a depression. Something tells me just like our(humans) grandparent's don't want us whining about this recession and calling it a depression compared to what they went through in the 30's, is like the kid born in 1995 and beyond whining about how tough it is being black in this country. especially when you have every white kid acting "black" and a black president.

a little wordy

Old 06-03-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Another point: young blacks today who are born in 1995 whining about how bad they have b/c of 400 yrs of slavery is like us whining about our current recession saying it's a depression. Something tells me just like our(humans) grandparent's don't want us whining about this recession and calling it a depression compared to what they went through in the 30's, is like the kid born in 1995 and beyond whining about how tough it is being black in this country. especially when you have every white kid acting "black" and a black president.

a little wordy
It may be, whining...It is also like present day whites whining about how bad they now hate the state of our nation just because they are currently seeing the effects of 400 years of their ancestors enslaving others they need to quit crying over spilled milk eh?

p.s. a white kid "acting black" is exactly what it looks like - a phase. I dont see any 30 year olds "acting black" in corporate environments, where it would matter. So lets not pretend like that "act" is as genuine as we would like to portray it to be. And I dont see why whites are whining about the state of minorities when all these years black kids (and really any other minority kid) have been encouraged to "act white" and we've had no less than 43 white presidents...so lets not skirt the fact that blacks have just a bit of catching up to do. Lets wait till we see AT LEAST that 41st black president in there before we set the bar where their white counterparts have been.

Last edited by solytaire; 06-03-2009 at 07:42 PM..

Old 06-03-2009, 07:42 PM

I'm not whining, I grew up with only one white friend and the rest are Puerto Rican. I don't mind any group I wasn't even 10yrs old when I heard my rap cd and fell in love and became a very good break dancer. If we didn't have other groups this would be one plain Jane country.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I'm not whining, I grew up with only one white friend and the rest are Puerto Rican. I don't mind any group I wasn't even 10yrs old when I heard my rap cd and fell in love and became a very good break dancer. If we didn't have other groups this would be one plain Jane country.
I dont doubt you did. Im sure you are an quite open-minded individual in real life. Perchance, did you get a chance to ask your Puerto Rican friends whats wrong with them? They arent doing too hot themselves these days.

However, I agree that we are greatly benefitted by a consortium of cultures. BUT, thats not the point of your thread...you explicitly asked "Whats wrong with x and y but not z"...

You dont truly want to explore the reasons for the question you posed. All Im saying is that the premise of this thread is misleading, (and I personally feel it is misguided)...A more appropriate title would have been..."I was just wanting to get this off of my chest *sigh*...those Blacks and Hispanics sure seem to choose not to excel, stir up trouble, and live outside the bounds of civility."

Whats crazy is that there are non minority Historians who have conducted investigations behind the phenomenon of the cultural implosion that the black population is experiencing. Those same historians posit the same assertions that have been posted on this thread...as non minorities, that would make them "whiners" as well.

Heck, Ill say it again, its similar to asking why a rape victim (the rape victim in this case representing the black culture) is dysfunctional in relationships, and then telling her, her psychologists, and the forensic investigators to quit whining when they explain why she may not function as well in her relationships with men.

Its just irresponsible to ask the question if the true intent isnt to obtain the honest answer. It would be more productive and less of a headache for you to just say what you observe the minority cultures to be, and let people discuss it in the manner in which they choose. And at that point we all WOULD be whining...rather than offering an explanation that YOU asked for.

Last edited by solytaire; 06-03-2009 at 08:15 PM..

Old 06-03-2009, 08:12 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,240,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirlwow View Post
I haven't read all the responses here but let me educate you about the Asians living in North America. There are two types

1) The ones who inter-marry each other & live in an Asian ghetto which is "gated" and "protected" by lion statues. Its called CHINA TOWN. They dine on traditional Chinese food eg dog meat etc, the barbeque chicken you see hanging in their restaurants. If you are not Asian/Chinese you have not been there much & frankly you have not much reason to go there as everything is written in Chinese & you are not interested in their "exotic cuisine" as to you, those things are pets not food!

(I'm not making up that Chinese eat dog meat its well documented Dog meat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia so please dont attack me, attack wikipedia as I'm just but the messenger. )

2) The tiny Asian woman who escapes scenario (1) above to marry the tall white guy. Asian women are known for desparately escaping their ghetto/ Chinatown by marrying the white man & this interbreeding dramatically dilutes scenario (1) and creates a situation where you see "Asian" kids in colleges. These are the kids with "white fathers" & who dont speak Chinese. They basically look Chinese to white folks but to Chinese pple they are one step from white. Amongst the Chinese they are called the "bananas".

3) I haven't personally come across any "prosperous" Chinese/ Asian people but if the are, then attribute that to (2) above.
Asians couldn't possibly succeed without white blood? How incredibly stupid. And racist.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:38 PM

Another thing, I dont expect any white person today to "buy" what has been said on this board by posters or even black historical pundits when explaining the plight of African Americans in this country. I dont expect them to be able to correlate how this country's history set a trajectory for the future of blacks in this nation. They are too far removed from the sanguinary viscera of the beast that is the result of generations of disempowered, educationally deprived blacks in this country.

1) Many White Americans (not all) are undergoing a sort of superiority fatigue from hearing about past atrocities exacted by their ancestors upon minority culture; and the subsequent privileges they enjoy from those atrocities. (again, particularly as it concerns blacks.) Many of these Whites have moved beyond "white guilt". And due to this fatigue, and were they not required to by law, they would no longer even bother to hire/appoint token minorities, were in not for the fact that they still must fulfill their affirmative action quota.

2) They are too far removed from the inequalities of the past. Many cannot grasp the effect that having a LONG lineage in which education and innovation were discouraged (nor was it allowed, enmasse) would have on any culture...in addition to being economically and politically stagnated over multiple generations.

3) Several of the blacks they see ARE ignorant and they themselves cannot properly articulate to present day whites why they are the way they are, or the effect that the multi generational lack of emphasis on education and etiquette under which they have been reared, has had on them and will have on their offspring; and how that would effect whether they will be inclined to aspire to become to a rapper, inmate, or athlete, as opposed to an educated civilian. They are unable themselves to put into context the motives behind their ways.

4) Blacks have allowed the demagoguery of its leaders to propel them towards irrelevant pursuits. Pursuits in which racial discrimination either didnt play an imperative role or played no role at all. Many whites have become jaded with the reflexive cries of defamation and "racism" when there arent proper grounds for the accusation. Which only confirms preconceptions and amplifies the abhorrent behavior they witness from black deviants.

Last edited by solytaire; 06-03-2009 at 08:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates