U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2009, 05:30 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,990,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
My question is in every city in America the worst area and most poor area is Black and the second most poor or dangerous is Hispanic but how and why have Asians bucked this minority trend? ... All our Asians for the most part are well educated well mannered and clean orderly people. Even the blue collar Asians have very nice homes and nice yards and you never see a Asian homeless guy in Milwaukee or anywhere else that I have seen. Milwaukee averages around 115-130 homicides even though last year we only had 70, not one Asian was killed or arrested for a homicide.

So how have Asians Americans advanced and progressed and blacks and Hispanics not ? I'm talking as a whole society. You don't see Asian hoods in every city or Indian thugs on every corner in the hood.
This is an easy one, my friend from Milwaukee, but the explanation is one that nobody will talk about. IQ is the single most acurate predictor of success in life including success on the job. For people with IQs below 90, life is an uphill battle and folks with IQs below 70 are at high risk for failure. Even if not talked about, I think the following is obvious. People with low IQs:

- are more likely to be unemployed
- are more likely to be divorce
- are more likely to have illegitimate children
- are more likely to be incarcerated
- are more likely to be chronic welfare recipients
- are more likely to be high school drop outs

The average IQ of Blacks in this country is about 85. For Hispanics its slightly higher at around 87. The average IQ of Whites in this country is 100 with Asian IQ being slightly higher than that of Whites.

I know there are those who would claim that IQ tests are not accurate and that this difference is the result of culteral differences. But wouldn't there be a cultural difference for Asians as well? Also, there has been much study and research done on this issue. This is not just some 'off the wall' theory. Tests have been devised to be culturless using such things as shapes and reaction times and the results are the same. There have been tests devised to be culturally biased in favor of Blacks and Whites and Asians still out perform Blacks and Hispanics.

Before someone jumps in with the 'Not all blah blahs are bleep bleep. I know a lot of blahs who are not bleep', let me say that I am talking about averages here. Enough said about that.

- Reel

Old 06-08-2009, 11:36 PM

17,413 posts, read 18,272,289 times
People who generalize about an ENTIRE group of other people always come across as uneducated and unknowledgeable.

In my experience as a Black person, there are always "other people" who will ignore examples of Blackness which are positive and productive. These people will hold any example of the negative as the "standard".

The Black community in America is very diverse within itself. (Same with the Latino community) I am descended from a very long line of Black business owners, educators and other professionals. Many individuals in my family owned vast amounts of property in the rural South as early as the 1850s which is a major accomplishment considering that many Blacks were still bound by slavery during that time.

People who point accusatory fingers at "those people" (ie Black people) have no clue or desire to really learn the answers to the "whys" and "how comes"....its easier to make up a thread with a blanket race baiting question that feeds their own unjustifiable sense of superiority.

I can only imagine that these same types of people can't "understand" when a Black person earns more, has more, or can do more than they are even capable.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:51 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,392,137 times
its calculus not hip hop and salsa.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:25 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,990,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
People who generalize about an ENTIRE group of other people always come across as uneducated and unknowledgeable.

In my experience as a Black person, there are always "other people" who will ignore examples of Blackness which are positive and productive. These people will hold any example of the negative as the "standard".

The Black community in America is very diverse within itself.
Here we go with the "not all blah blahs are bleep bleep. I know lots of blah blahs who are not bleep bleep" argument. We are talking about averages, my friend. This is the best you can do and you call others uneducated and inknowledgeable?

Old 06-09-2009, 10:05 AM

8,792 posts, read 9,617,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
This is an easy one, my friend from Milwaukee, but the explanation is one that nobody will talk about. IQ is the single most acurate predictor of success in life including success on the job. For people with IQs below 90, life is an uphill battle and folks with IQs below 70 are at high risk for failure. Even if not talked about, I think the following is obvious. People with low IQs:

- are more likely to be unemployed
- are more likely to be divorce
- are more likely to have illegitimate children
- are more likely to be incarcerated
- are more likely to be chronic welfare recipients
- are more likely to be high school drop outs

The average IQ of Blacks in this country is about 85. For Hispanics its slightly higher at around 87. The average IQ of Whites in this country is 100 with Asian IQ being slightly higher than that of Whites.

I know there are those who would claim that IQ tests are not accurate and that this difference is the result of culteral differences. But wouldn't there be a cultural difference for Asians as well? Also, there has been much study and research done on this issue. This is not just some 'off the wall' theory. Tests have been devised to be culturless using such things as shapes and reaction times and the results are the same. There have been tests devised to be culturally biased in favor of Blacks and Whites and Asians still out perform Blacks and Hispanics.

Before someone jumps in with the 'Not all blah blahs are bleep bleep. I know a lot of blahs who are not bleep', let me say that I am talking about averages here. Enough said about that.

- Reel
Myth No 1: The final score you get after passing an IQ test reflects your intelligence and abilities
Myth No 2: The higher IQ, the brighter an individual who has it
Myth No 3: An individual with a high IQ has more chances of succeeding in life

Old 06-09-2009, 10:32 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,087,259 times
Quote:

The Black community in America is very diverse within itself. (Same with the Latino community) I am descended from a very long line of Black business owners, educators and other professionals. Many individuals in my family owned vast amounts of property in the rural South as early as the 1850s which is a major accomplishment considering that many Blacks were still bound by slavery during that time.

People who point accusatory fingers at "those people" (ie Black people) have no clue or desire to really learn the answers to the "whys" and "how comes"....its easier to make up a thread with a blanket race baiting question that feeds their own unjustifiable sense of superiority.

I can only imagine that these same types of people can't "understand" when a Black person earns more, has more, or can do more than they are even capable.

I wholeheartedly agree...as you said, no one wants to truly know the pathogen of the disease, they only like to make generalizations about those with the symptoms of the affliction...one will never be able to reform the mentality of those who make such generalizations...there will never be an explanation that they want to hear, which doesnt involve the explanation of human behavior in terms such as: "one group is naturally this way and another group is naturally that way."; as they have predetermined that certain ethnic groups are inherently one way or another....it is the foundation of race based supremacy ideology.

The fact that anyone actually seriously subscribed to the notion that blacks are inherently better at sports, is indicative of a mindset that has such an insular preconception of reality, that it will not be compromised, regardless of any dialogue we may try to have....and suggests an attempt to reinforce some masochistic race-based superiority/inferiority perversion one may have (as has long been documented to be the case, in which people set forth such generalized contrasts on the basis of race)...

They may completely disregard the fact that whites excel equally, though in different sports (swimming, hockey, crosscountry, skiing, weight lifting, etc.) than those that blacks excel in. They discard the fact that whites excel in certain sports as well, as to acknowledge such would decimate their prior race based parsing of natural attributes. And it would mean that (in that example specifically) whites, too, have a natural predilection to excel at sports. But then again, we see what we want to see.

I attribute this to a sort programmed mindset that demands that they view one race as inherently this, and other races as that, and never the two shall meet...lest we indulge in some sort of forbidden taboo against accepted societal norms. ("Oh dear, an intelligent _______ rather than the prototypical athletic, carnal acting _______. That simply doesnt exist.") This has been the cultural mindset in this country for centuries, regardless of what minorities do to bring the contradictions of such stereotypes, to the fore.

So its best to not try to change that mindset...I, like you, agree to let those who assume as much, retain that mentality....I have concluded that if you know you are a decent person, then you simply cannot waste your entire life trying to disprove stereotypes....One should not spend ANY of their energy, in futile efforts to disprove the preconceptions of others who have already subscribed to race based stereotypes and who will not change the generalizations of their outlooks anyway. Else, your outlook on people and life will become as detached and despondent as that belonging to those whom you are trying to influence to change.

Thats one reason this thread is no longer being as frequently entertained...While the question is deliberately provocative, it has become clear that there is no explanation that will be considered beyond: "these groups are naturally this and those groups are naturally that." And there isnt sufficient credibility to any of the things being stated as "averages"..lol and "predisposition"...some of the contents found in this thread are a lot like asserting that generally whites are inherently dysfunctional and ignorant based on the culture that can be found in parts of Utah, Appalachia and the Blue Ridge, and Ozark mountains.

And we need not think that CEO's and Personnel Managers do not subscribe to these generalizations and "averages" as well. As close minded and dismissive as many posters in this thread seem to be, Im sure most responses will be deflected as "Blah, blah, blah". But let me guess: the "average" IQ for biracial (black, white) individuals was 86?...lol

Last edited by solytaire; 06-09-2009 at 11:17 AM..

Old 06-09-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Myth No 1: The final score you get after passing an IQ test reflects your intelligence and abilities
Myth No 2: The higher IQ, the brighter an individual who has it
Myth No 3: An individual with a high IQ has more chances of succeeding in life
Myth No 4: There has been a concensus reached on a single standardized IQ test by which intellect is able to be accurately measured...lol

Old 06-09-2009, 11:43 AM

17,413 posts, read 18,272,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
Here we go with the "not all blah blahs are bleep bleep. I know lots of blah blahs who are not bleep bleep" argument. We are talking about averages, my friend. This is the best you can do and you call others uneducated and inknowledgeable?
The fact is that it IS relevant.

If (I weren't Black) and all I knew of Black people in American was what I saw on rap videos and the local news, I would have a screwed perception of what it means to be a Black person.

The daily lives of the "avergae" Black person do not make it to the airwaves. Who wants to see a normal Black family going to work everyday, raising their kids, taking vacations, running errands, etc.

What makes great TV is finding those Blacks who have no problem with their lack of self awareness being exploited for ratings (ie Jerry Springer, Maury Povich et al)

Generalizations are not "the rule". And those who have no problem with blanket generalizations regarding race will be the first ones to protest should those same generalizations be used about their own race.

Do hillbillies and trailer park residents soley represent White Americans?

Old 06-09-2009, 11:57 AM

7,675 posts, read 18,902,029 times
Quote:
Do hillbillies and trailer park residents solely represent White Americans?
No b/c the number of white trash is a lot smaller than the ghetto black people.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
The fact is that it IS relevant.

If (I weren't Black) and all I knew of Black people in American was what I saw on rap videos and the local news, I would have a screwed perception of what it means to be a Black person.

The daily lives of the "avergae" Black person do not make it to the airwaves. Who wants to see a normal Black family going to work everyday, raising their kids, taking vacations, running errands, etc.

What makes great TV is finding those Blacks who have no problem with their lack of self awareness being exploited for ratings (ie Jerry Springer, Maury Povich et al)

Generalizations are not "the rule". And those who have no problem with blanket generalizations regarding race will be the first ones to protest should those same generalizations be used about their own race.

Do hillbillies and trailer park residents soley represent White Americans?

Ive discussed this repeatedly...Its one of the reasons that a show like "My Wife and Kids." was quickly canceled while movies like the Tyler Perry series are in constant demand. There is a preconception about blacks that most people of non African American heritage demand reaffirmation of.

Stereotypical blacks will always garner more attention, A) because the squeaky wheel gets the grease B) They, as with any other group of individuals who have no shame nor sense of morality, are simply more entertaining to watch and look down upon (while not accounting for the familial lineage/history that preceded their behavior.) C) Hollywood/Media outlets are scarcely ran/owned by blacks.

As you will notice, seldom do whites, a group which DOES have power in many media outlets, go out of their way to portray the everyday lifestyle of typical, functionally healthy whites as similar to that of Neo-Nazi's/KKK members...those groups are portrayed as some sort of distal 'netherworlders', almost a completely separate entity from goodhearted whites.

Last edited by solytaire; 06-09-2009 at 12:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates