U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2009, 12:07 PM

17,611 posts, read 18,970,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
No b/c the number of white trash is a lot smaller than the ghetto black people.
Statistics, please.

So sad when racist irrationality overrules logic and reason.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:13 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,214,636 times
Quote:
No b/c the number of white trash is a lot smaller than the ghetto black people.
Im sorry but this is just flatly wrong...Today, meaning since the mid 90's, Middle class blacks comprise the bulk of the black population of this generation...HOWEVER the overwhelming bulk of the black Middle class are still first generation middle class families and even at that, those blacks are lower middle class; which may explain the "ghetto" behavior you speak of.

But to your comment, while it is untrue of this particular generation, there has been a historical reason that blacks have traditionally come from "ghetto"/impoverished backgrounds. There are historical reasons that the percentage of impoverished blacks is higher than the percentage of impoverished whites in this country.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Statistics, please.

Not to belabor this point but he is flatly wrong...there are more poor whites aka "white trash" (his words not mine) in this country than there are "ghetto" blacks...

which stands to reason as there are in general far more whites in this country than there are blacks.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:27 PM

7,826 posts, read 19,506,242 times
It might be b/c I live in the north and I haven't seen white trash in months. However down in Louisiana is a different story. We don't even have trailer parks up here.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:31 PM

Are Stereotypes True?

Old 06-09-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
It might be b/c I live in the north and I haven't seen white trash in months. However down in Louisiana is a different story. We don't even have trailer parks up here.
Soooo poor, uneducated Whites are an exclusive phenomenom of the South?

Old 06-09-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
How is it racist when that's all you see compared to another group? In Milwaukee/Wisconsin you rarely see white trash but there is "ghetto Black people" everywhere? Same thing in the Twin Cities and Chicago, Detroit, Gary. however I will say in Rockford IL there seems to be a lot of white trash.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
uneducated Whites are an exclusive phenomenon of the South?
Could be I don't know, I just know you really don't start seeing white trash until the mason Dixon line. This may also explain why Jerry springer shows have all white people from the south so, I would venture to say 90% of white trash in this country is in the south.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Could be I don't know, I just know you really don't start seeing white trash until the mason Dixon line. This may also explain why Jerry springer shows have all white people from the south so, I would venture to say 90% of white trash in this country is in the south.
Thank you for proving my point regarding generalizations.

I was born and raised in Los Angeles. Seeing Black people who own mansions and drive Rolls Royces were the norm in my experience. I was raised around Blacks who are college educated, professionals and business owners. That is my world.

Perception and one's individual experiences shape how we see the world BUT we must understand that it isn't the complete picture. And even though you wouldn't necessarily consider some of the people (Caucasian) that you know or associate with in Milwaukee as lower class but someone else with different life experience would. And I am quite positive that there are lower class Whites living in Milwaukee just as there are in the Los Angeles area.

ETA: By the way, there are A LOT of wealthy White people in the South. Just as there are A LOT of poor Whites in the North, Midwest and the West Coast

Old 06-09-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
How is it racist when that's all you see compared to another group? In Milwaukee/Wisconsin you rarely see white trash but there is "ghetto Black people" everywhere? Same thing in the Twin Cities and Chicago, Detroit, Gary. however I will say in Rockford IL there seems to be a lot of white trash.
Its not racist but you are making my point....thats all YOU see compared to another group....because thats literally all you choose to see...I promise you, based on my visits to the Ozarks and parts of Arkansas, I could move there and say thats ALL you see...I could live in parts of Virginia, West Virginia, and Kentucky (Allegany Mountains, Blue Ridge Mountains) and sit on here and say "Well how could it NOT be the truth?"...ALL you see is "white trash" everywhere...

But there are places you can experience (Denver, Houston/Sugarland, TX, parts of Richmond, Raleigh etc.) where you will find blacks living with the same integrity and morality that we accept that whites in general live with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates