U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 06:14 PM

8,796 posts, read 9,620,365 times

Advertisements

There was still Civil rights legislation being proposed in 2008, we still have to come along way before we can show our frustration with how African Americans doing. All non whites in America; Jews , Asians, Indians, Mexicans, Irish, and Immigrants were treated poorly if not like second class citizen and animals in some cases. African Americans were the only ones to stand up in great numbers to be slaughtered by their government for Civil rights. In the African American community there are still too many people who are doing every right and still not reaping the benefits they would receive if they were Asian , Jewish or Irish, who were not even considered to be white people at one time.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:38 PM

7,678 posts, read 18,905,816 times
Quote:
In the African American community there are still too many people who are doing every right and still not reaping the benefits they would receive if they were Asian , Jewish or Irish, who were not even considered to be white people at one time.
I have no idea what you are saying, please explain a little more.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:49 PM

640 posts, read 1,514,007 times
Well this seems like a thread that is going to crash and burn so I'm going to keep this short.
In regards to Hispanic immigrants, I would start with a google search of "Self Selected Immigrants."

Old 05-11-2009, 09:07 PM

1,613 posts, read 2,327,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
So why don't we see the cream of blacks or Hispanics in cities in America? you don't need money to be well behaved or to go to school. How many times have you seen people turn down good paying jobs b/c the job was below them or " I don't want to do that". How about doing what you have to do not what you want to do.
You don't see the "Cream of the crop" because IMO you don't choose to. Watching music videos and other media images is where you sound like you are getting most of your information from. The trash that you are discussing is not representative of the group as a whole.

I have seen and know minorities who are successful, highly educated along with some who may not be highly educated but still work hard, have their families intact who go to work everyday to live their version of the "American Dream"

Many of those families are living in the cities of America.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
My opinion is: it's a cultural thing, too many blacks/Hispanics and white trash included focus or glorify the bad things in this world as "cool" and this eventually holds them down. Moving from the "hood" to the suburbs is not selling out, it's saving your life.

1. Being a gangster is not cool
2. You are not more gangster b/c you live in a rougher neighborhood
3. Using the F-bomb every other word is not cool and not swearing doesn't make you a nerd.
4. Going to school everyday and taking summer school is not lame or nerdy but very smart.
5. Being poor gives you no reason to dress like a homeless man or shoot people or rob people.
6. If you can't find a job create your own and work for your self.
7. The working man is not a fool he is a man who provides for his family and lives to life expectancy.
8. Exercise and eating health doesn't mean you have to be rich to do so.
9. Being materialistic and self centered leaves alone and broke.
10. Stop Blaming others for things that have happened to you and start working through it without shooting someone
11. Going out every weekend and getting drunk is not what your supposed to do.
12. Stop this "Woe is me" attitude and you'll be better off for it.

Our whole society in America glorifies things that shouldn't be glorified but just b/c our society sells the following does not mean you have to buy what our society is selling.
sex
gangs
drugs
pimpin'
fighting

here's is a little saying I like to use:

"If you think everyone is out to get you, then everyone will get you"

or

"If you think the man is holding you down then the man will hold you down"

meaning: only you can control your own destiny, some of us have more bumps in the road to get around but that's life just deal with it. I don't know how many rags to riches stories we need before people actually realize it's up to you to make things happen or work through things that have happened to you
#1 - Being a ganster is not cool, but what demographic is buying the muic that supposedly glorifies it?

#2 - This advice is good to all kinds of people, just not minorities. The answer to question #1 is proof of that.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
You don't see the "Cream of the crop" because IMO you don't choose to. Watching music videos and other media images is where you sound like you are getting most of your information from. The trash that you are discussing is not representative of the group as a whole.
Of course not! I don't watch music videos and that's also not where I get most of my information from. It's mile after mile of living in Milwaukee and Chicago and Miami and San Diego and Louisiana.

Quote:
I have seen and know minorities who are successful, highly educated along with some who may not be highly educated but still work hard, have their families intact who go to work everyday to live their version of the "American Dream" Many of those families are living in the cities of America.
Again obviously! but your missing the point of the question. Why are some ethnic groups more successful than others? why are our jails filled with minorities ? it's not b/c of G.Bush it's b/c they commit more crimes and why do they commit more crime and don't tell me poverty=crime, it's more like stupid people=crime.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Of course not! I don't watch music videos and that's also not where I get most of my information from. It's mile after mile of living in Milwaukee and Chicago and Miami and San Diego and Louisiana.

Again obviously! but your missing the point of the question. Why are some ethnic groups more successful than others? why are our jails filled with minorities ? it's not b/c of G.Bush it's b/c they commit more crimes and why do they commit more crime and don't tell me poverty=crime, it's more like stupid people=crime.

Well, I agree there...in most cases. There have been too many instances of mistaken identity where innocent people have gone to jail.

For the most part, I do agree about people who commit crime are not too swift.

I grew up in a very bad neighborhood, so I have been in the "mile after mile" of "badness"

and I was still able to see people as I described above. I think in too many cases, people don't want to see that because it's easier to say "see what they ALL do?"

Old 05-11-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
I think in too many cases, people don't want to see that because it's easier to say "see what they ALL do?"
I agree there there however it's very easy to do so when a city has 130 homicides and 125 are either committed by blacks or Hispanics on other blacks and Hispanics. It's like I'm watching LOST in real life where we are all on an island with the same goal in mind but can't even get along and we end up killing people instead of settling our differences the Hurley way.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
I agree there there however it's very easy to do so when a city has 130 homicides and 125 are either committed by blacks or Hispanics on other blacks and Hispanics. It's like I'm watching LOST in real life where we are all on an island with the same goal in mind but can't even get along and we end up killing people instead of settling our differences the Hurley way.
There goes my point. You said thatstupid people=criminals. Maybe you should expand your views so that you can see past the "stupid" people and realize that they just represent themselves, not their families and definitely not their race or ethnicity.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:47 PM

72 posts, read 237,886 times
Blacks and Hispanics are more likely to commit crimes than Eastern and Southern Asians. This is a fact and to those of you who say "All races commit crime! Stop being racist!", you are only preventing the problem from being acknowledged and solved.

Here are some statistics to prove how much more prone to crime Hispanics and Blacks are compared to whites and Asians. I posted this in another forum comparing Canada's and America's immigration systems.

49.97% of Toronto's population is foreign born.
59% of Miami is foreign born.
Miami's homicide rate is 19.6 per 100,000.
Toronto's homicide rate is 3.3 per 100,000!

There were 84 murders in Toronto (a city of 2.5 million) compared to 77 murders in Miami (a city of roughly 400,000).

Lets take a look at Census data for Toronto and Miami!

Toronto:

When adding up the East Asian groups, they make up 13.3% of Toronto's population. Southern Asians (the vast majority of which are Indians) make up 12% of the population. Southeast Asian groups make up another 5.6% of the population.

Essentially, Toronto's immigrant population is composed of mostly Southern and Eastern Asians.

Miami:

In miami, 66% of the population is of Hispanic origin (mostly Cuban). The city also has a very large Haitian community, but the census doesn't give reference to its exact numbers.

When linking the census data to the crime statistics in the post above, I do firmly believe that Asians are less likely to commit crime than Blacks or Hispanics.

Clearly, immigrants from China, India, Korea, and Taiwan cause less crime than immigrants from Latin America and the Caribbean. If more proof of this needs to be shown, it can be provided quite easily.

Statistic references:

Crime in Toronto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
TheStar.com | GTA | A city of unmatched diversity
BBC NEWS | Americas | Miami tops 'foreign-born' cities

Demographics of Toronto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Miami city, Florida - DP-1. Profile of General Demographic Characteristics:**2000

Last edited by Yac; 05-22-2009 at 07:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.