U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-10-2009, 08:05 PM

13,169 posts, read 5,003,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Hey about this, I think it is misleading to act as though the MAJORITY of Asians came here during this time period..the reality is, that this "wave" of Asian immigrants...was actually very small in number.

Meaning that the injustices they faced were A) not pervasive over several generations B) were not imposed upon a more than a couple of hundred thousand Asian families.

Thats not to suggest that the injustices were any less egregious. BUT the magnitude of the EFFECTS from those injustices pale, if compared to a culture in which several generations and several million FAMILIES were subjected to inequality and mistreatment..

Later in your post you also mention that Asians who came here worked for cheap. That alone places them on a different trajectory than those who descend from a people who were brought here against their will to work for free.

* You also mention that those same Asians were able to save and "send money home" to their relatives who were then also able to come here when they were ready...

^^ See where Im going with this?

Am I the only one who clearly sees how being unable to trace lineage, unable to return to and communicate with one's homeland at will, and being prohibited from retaining cultural identity would impede this objective?

IMO The Black and Asian experiences are just not analogous.
EXECELLENTE!! point well taken! As an AA I cannot speak for my Latino counterparts, but I can relate to not being able to trace my ancestory back to a particuliar country in Africa, unlike the Asians that came to this country later in it's development.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:47 PM

1,828 posts, read 2,320,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
Im not going to even begin to address this becuase my motto with things like this is to kill ignorance with intelligence.

What I suggest you do is take a class called The Psychology of the Black Experience, or read a book about it. There is a lot to this issue with out just looking at the outside of the issue. Its deep and complex.

Here is an article: https://blackboard.temple.edu/@@BDCEB08C1014B105DA595D5B134FCBC3/courses/1/1216200811119/content/_1409644_1/Akbar%20Psy%20Legacy%20of%20Slavery.pdf (broken link)

However, if you didn't want an intellectual explaination then troll on!

I forgot to add that not all blacks live in the ghetto and murder and steal, or all in jail.

Black Student College Graduation Rates Remain Low, But Modest Progress Begins to Show
Slavery was over 140 years ago,quit using it as an excuse. Also, it would help if blacks only had children they could afford, like the vast majority of whites and Asians do.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:54 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,012,320 times
Good boy!!! That's it, let it all out.

Now, don't you have a message for the Jews?

Old 07-10-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Good boy!!! That's it, let it all out.

Now, don't you have a message for the Jews?
Actually I dont particularly care for them either, smart-ass, but at least they support themselves. And I am one-eighth Jewish, so I cannot completely rag on them.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:03 PM

Is there anyone else we have forgotten on our list?

Old 07-10-2009, 09:05 PM

Pandemonium, you seem to be following me from one forum to another, trying to disprove my posts. Why dont you just ---- off and leave us who know what we are talking about alone?

Old 07-10-2009, 09:12 PM

No, actually this is the main forum that I post on. You don't know diddly and you speak from a place of ignorance. All I am asking is how much of that you have? Obviously, you have spent a great deal of time and thought to come to the conclusions that you have. I just want to see how you got from point A to point B.

Your the one that drug up one of my posts. I see that you don't really want to play. You want to pontificate.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:06 AM

640 posts, read 1,085,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
I consider the problems with many hispanics as being a large part due to having a failed immigration policy. Canada has a great policy that should be used as a model.

Canada does take in refugees but the vast majority of their immigrants are skilled and educated workers. The candidates must also have some proficiency in the two official languages. They also have to demonstrate they have a certain amount of money before they can immigrate. I think they also made it more difficult for immigrants to bring in family members unless their immediate family. This cuts down the number of people that are let in without showing how they are beneficial to the local economy. It is also extremely difficult to get decent jobs and housing and services without the proper, legal documents.

I'm not saying its perfect but the Canadian immigrant cities are multi-ethnic BUT without much of the overt racial tension of U.S. cities. I think the Canadian point system is a great model to help reform our immigration system. It sets a standard that helps weed out those that would not be able to make it in the first place rather than leaving the door wide open for any and every one.
YES THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS POINT! Your posts in this thread have been awesome.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:17 AM

8,294 posts, read 14,101,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
EXECELLENTE!! point well taken! As an AA I cannot speak for my Latino counterparts, but I can relate to not being able to trace my ancestory back to a particuliar country in Africa, unlike the Asians that came to this country later in it's development.
This may be an extremely stupid question, by why are you unable to trace your ancestory back to a particular country in Africa?

Not too long ago, I was speaking with a black lady in my office who had traced her lineage back to Kenya. She acted as though it required virtually no effort.

What am I missing?

Old 07-11-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
No, actually this is the main forum that I post on. You don't know diddly and you speak from a place of ignorance. All I am asking is how much of that you have? Obviously, you have spent a great deal of time and thought to come to the conclusions that you have. I just want to see how you got from point A to point B.

Your the one that drug up one of my posts. I see that you don't really want to play. You want to pontificate.
You can prattle on all you want, I still say those facts I mentioned tell everyone about all they need to know. When white out of wedlock birthrates are even close to half of that of blacks,then come back and maybe it would be worth the time to have a discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates