U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-11-2009, 09:48 PM
 
Location: British Columbia.
343 posts, read 1,231,997 times
Reputation: 305

Advertisements

For starters you have to remember that education is highly valued in many east asian cultures. The Chinnese, Japannese, and Koreans have a long history of civlization before even the Europeans.

Secondly most Asians living in the United States and Canada did not come against their own will. They came to North America voluntairly unlike Africans! Makes a huge difference bud!

You can't put every ethinc group in the same mold, many Africans who did not come to the U.S. as slaves are doing way better then African Americans born in the states. It could be that they did not grow up with a mentality of poverty like so many people in the inner cities of America. Alot of immigrants see the United States as a land of oppurtunity.

 
Old 05-11-2009, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Mequon, WI
7,678 posts, read 18,909,463 times
Reputation: 4154
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
For starters you have to remember that education is highly valued in many east asian cultures. The Chinnese, Japannese, and Koreans have a long history of civlization before even the Europeans.

Secondly most Asians living in the United States and Canada did not come against their own will. They came to North America voluntairly unlike Africans! Makes a huge difference bud!

You can't put every ethinc group in the same mold, many Africans who did not come to the U.S. as slaves are doing way better then African Americans born in the states. It could be that they did not grow up with a mentality of poverty like so many people in the inner cities of America. Alot of immigrants see the United States as a land of oppurtunity.
This would be true if we weren't talking about people born in 1980-present that were born here and already are still committing crimes and are still very poor...there is no excuse for this. There is no excuse for blacks and Hispanics to be leading in a lot of bad categories.
 
Old 05-11-2009, 10:23 PM
 
Location: Chicago- Lawrence and Kedzie/Maywood
2,242 posts, read 5,435,220 times
Reputation: 735
Because most asians come in smaller numbers, and with wealth.

Hispanics come in great numbers, with little wealth.

Blacks as a whole never had wealth since the old days.

The cycle continues.

And there are slums in countries where the population is white.

It has nothing to do with race. It has to do with culture.
Or sub-cultures to be more exact.

The sub-culture of classes.
 
Old 05-11-2009, 10:29 PM
 
Location: Mequon, WI
7,678 posts, read 18,909,463 times
Reputation: 4154
Quote:
It has nothing to do with race. It has to do with culture.
Or sub-cultures to be more exact.
Exactly!!!! I used to have a black friend who would always tell me it's a black thing, blacks have to work twice as hard as whites and I always agreed with him, however I said you can do things to take an advantage away from someone by always dressing nice, surrounding yourself with good people and having a positive attitude. Were not friends anymore b/c he was always whining about how bad things were he was way too negative and I think that is what held him back.
 
Old 05-11-2009, 10:36 PM
 
Location: Chicago- Lawrence and Kedzie/Maywood
2,242 posts, read 5,435,220 times
Reputation: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Exactly!!!! I used to have a black friend who would always tell me it's a black thing, blacks have to work twice as hard as whites and I always agreed with him, however I said you can do things to take an advantage away from someone by always dressing nice, surrounding yourself with good people and having a positive attitude. Were not friends anymore b/c he was always whining about how bad things were he was way too negative and I think that is what held him back.
Yeah, I used to be like that.
Except I'm from Mexican descent. Like most teens, being rebellious in different forms... I used to try to fit in that Mexican Gangbanger category and hate on everything else that considered us "lower"
But eh, I was young and brainwashable. I'm starting to dress differently now...
I still have a couple quirks though, but nothing too big.

"I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my enviornment to be a product of me"
 
Old 05-11-2009, 10:39 PM
 
Location: Philly, Philly
932 posts, read 1,494,030 times
Reputation: 331
Milwaukee, does it surprise you that 550 colleges/ universities in the US have reported a higher graduation rate of black females than white males?

And please do not say because of AA, that would discount the hard work that these women did to get to graduation day.
 
Old 05-11-2009, 10:58 PM
 
Location: British Columbia.
343 posts, read 1,231,997 times
Reputation: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
This would be true if we weren't talking about people born in 1980-present that were born here and already are still committing crimes and are still very poor...there is no excuse for this. There is no excuse for blacks and Hispanics to be leading in a lot of bad categories.

You forget that mentality and culture is passed down from previous generations. The reality is that most blacks living in America today still have alot of scars related to segregation.
 
Old 05-11-2009, 11:00 PM
 
Location: Mequon, WI
7,678 posts, read 18,909,463 times
Reputation: 4154
No it doesn't surprise me I would like to see which college's these are, but women have always been better at school than men. AA should be taken away, I'm for the best man win scenario. It's not b/c of color that these people commit crimes it's a culture thing that only seems to exist in a lot higher numbers than white people and Asians and Indians and my point is it's not b/c of a lack of money but lack of parenting and lazy people but why ? Being poor only means you don't go to Tahiti for vacation but you drive to Florida and camp instead of staying in a hotel.
 
Old 05-11-2009, 11:05 PM
 
Location: Mequon, WI
7,678 posts, read 18,909,463 times
Reputation: 4154
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
You forget that mentality and culture is passed down from previous generations. The reality is that most blacks living in America today still have alot of scars related to segregation.

Then why have Jews done so well? or German's ? aren't they affected by WW2?

I'm not trying to be mean or rude or insensitive but if people are still affected by things that happened before they were even born then they are mental midgets. Then they have more problems to worry about not just racism. Why not the attitude of " We'll I'll change that!!!"
 
Old 05-11-2009, 11:07 PM
 
Location: British Columbia.
343 posts, read 1,231,997 times
Reputation: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
No it doesn't surprise me I would like to see which college's these are, but women have always been better at school than men. AA should be taken away, I'm for the best man win scenario. It's not b/c of color that these people commit crimes it's a culture thing that only seems to exist in a lot higher numbers than white people and Asians and Indians and my point is it's not b/c of a lack of money but lack of parenting and lazy people but why ? Being poor only means you don't go to Tahiti for vacation but you drive to Florida and camp instead of staying in a hotel.

I agree that its not a racial thing, but it would be silly to ignore how the past has an affect on the future. That being said I do think that people need to take personal responsibility.

As far as Affirmative Action goes, I find it funny what happend in California. Essentially AA was banned from all the public univerisities. And since Asians do not benefit from AA they essentially took over all the universities. UC Irvine has a population of over half Asians, and many schools in Cali have Asians making up a large segement of the student body. Now white people are begging for quotas again because they are at a disadvantage to Asian students.

Asians only make up 5 percent of the U.S. population but account for nearly 30 percent of all new med school grads. The number is alot higher in fields like engineering. It seems these days that even white students are falling behind because alot of American families are breaking down.

When it comes down to it, the break down to the family unit and personal responsibility has alot to do with poverty these days.

A little ironic don't you think? So its just not a black thing, its a trend that is very distubring in North America today.

I will say that the history of blacks is very different from any ethnic group because blacks are pretty much discriminated agianst wherever they go. You think white people are bad? Asian people in Japan and China show open disdain for black people. So you can't compare the black race to any other ethinc group.


P.S. Slavery lasted 400 years in America. Totally different animal then the holocaust. You forget that the jews of the holocaust were educated people: doctors, lawyers, physicist. Totally different then American slavery. Blacks in America had zero education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top