Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 09:51 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Depends on the job you're after.

Interview for a professional job using "Gangsta Thug Speak" or "I'm A Redneck Name Raef Speak" and you're not getting the job. Period.

Interview for an Administrative Assistant position and answer the phone saying, "Yeah whatcha wants?" and you're not getting the job. Nor should you.

It's not always about racism and discrimination, for crying out loud. Sometimes there are very specific and reasonable job expectations, and the people who fail to meet those expectations will not get the job - regardless of skin color.

On the other hand, if you're a minority you can ALWAYS say you were discriminated against, even though you may have been completely and totally unqualified, and may have sucked in the interview. It is, after all, easier than looking at what often is the simple truth.
True, and that is a door that swings both ways...If you are a non minority and didnt get a job, you can always blame it on those minorities who got the job through affirmative action rather than looking at what is often the simple truth: As a non minority you may have been completely unqualified and sucked at the work asked of you. (Im using the word "You" figuratively...not intended to literally mean - You..lol)

Old 07-13-2009, 09:55 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
True, and that is a door that swings both ways...If you are a non minority and didnt get a job, you can always blame it on those minorities who got the job through affirmative action rather than looking at what is often the simple truth: As a non minority you may have been completely unqualified and sucked at the work asked of you. (Im using the word "You" figuratively...not intended to literally mean - You..lol)
Absolutely! It sickens me how often I hear people screaming about "Them there !@#$!~! Illegal Mexicans comin' in here and stealin' our good jobs!" when the truth is that the Mexicans are working at jobs most of the White people are too lazy to do.

There are also jobs where a Black person would fit the criteria more closely specifically because he/she is Black. In that case, it would be stupid for a White person to get the job.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:02 PM

481 posts, read 943,404 times
Quote:
Or act like a stupid idiot who can only say, "Uhhhh," "Duhhhh," "Ummmmm...." when the teleprompter is down, and you too can be President of the United States. You can get millions of people to vote for you for no other reason that because of your race.

Good on you!

By the way, George Bush is a graduate of BOTH Harvard and Yale. Are you?
No I just have a PhD from the University of Virgina. I'z iz stoopid.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Absolutely! It sickens me how often I hear people screaming about "Them there !@#$!~! Illegal Mexicans comin' in here and stealin' our good jobs!" when the truth is that the Mexicans are working at jobs most of the White people are too lazy to do.

There are also jobs where a Black person would fit the criteria more closely specifically because he/she is Black. In that case, it would be stupid for a White person to get the job.
I understand why you hate that sentiment...when expressed in that manner, it is one that DOES denote racism and bigotry...

On the other hand I DO take exception with ANYONE who is here illegally taking jobs...They may be taking jobs that whites have become too financially superior to do (which I actually dont believe...I know some EXTREMELY hardworking whites who feel no more entitled to a white collar job than anyone else...they do not feel they are above working Blue collar jobs)...But those same jobs used to be filled by underprivileged citizens from all ethnic backgrounds.

I dont agree that illegal aliens (whether Mexican, Irish, African or whoever) should be allowed to come in and undercut other underprivileged groups just because they will accept illegal wages...

It undermines the integrity of the job market, it incents stingy employers, and undercuts those who are here legally and NEED employment.

The illegal alien problem only exacerbates the crime rates & drug trade, by removing jobs from otherwise legal residents who are willing to, or who have a need to work low wage jobs; in addition to driving down the wages of those jobs...IMO

Old 07-13-2009, 10:04 PM

481 posts, read 943,404 times
Quote:

Hmm, just wondering what jobs those are that only African-Americans can fill? For the life of me I can't think of what that would be.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
No I just have a PhD from the University of Virgina. I'z iz stoopid.

Way way waaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttt a minute.

Here all this time, you've been on this forum bi**hing and screaming about how minorities can't succeed, and how you claim to be both a minority and have a PhD?

Something is very wrong here! VERY wrong! You are either lying, or you're proving your main bi**hing points to be moot.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:05 PM

29 posts, read 82,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
From the outside looking in this is what you see, but the difference between the folks who came here after the REAL work of building this country and the Euros is the that they ALL were able to keep their culture as well as their native tongues. You would really be suprised the difference that makes! When you can can come home to your own language/culture and away from the discrimination and racism of the day.

Good points!

Old 07-13-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
Hmm, just wondering what jobs those are that only African-Americans can fill? For the life of me I can't think of what that would be.
Of course you can't. Never mind that that is NOT what I said.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I understand why you hate that sentiment...when expressed in that manner, it is one that DOES denote racism and bigotry...

On the other hand I DO take exception with ANYONE who is here illegally taking jobs...They may be taking jobs that whites have become too financially superior to do (which I actually dont believe...I know some EXTREMELY hardworking whites who feel no more entitled to a white collar job than anyone else...they do not feel they are above working Blue collar jobs)...But those same jobs used to be filled by underprivileged citizens from all ethnic backgrounds.

I dont agree that illegal aliens (whether Mexican, Irish, African or whoever) should be allowed to come in and undercut other underprivileged groups just because they will accept illegal wages...

It undermines the integrity of the job market, it incents stingy employers, and undercuts those who are here legally and NEED employment.

The illegal alien problem only exacerbates the crime rates & drug trade, by removing jobs from otherwise legal residents who are willing to, or who have a need to work low wage jobs; in addition to driving down the wages of those jobs...IMO
First of all, Illegal Immigrants is not really the topic of this thread, so I won't go into much on it.

But I will say that there ARE actually a lot of immigrants who honestly thought they were legal, but their government didn't give them the proper documentation that they paid for.

There are a LOT of reasons people are bailing out of Mexico like rats of a sinking ship.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Or act like a stupid idiot who can only say, "Uhhhh," "Duhhhh," "Ummmmm...." when the teleprompter is down, and you too can be President of the United States. You can get millions of people to vote for you for no other reason that because of your race.

Good on you!

By the way, George Bush is a graduate of BOTH Harvard and Yale. Are you?

You know what's interesting?...The fact that more than likely when most non minorities see culturedmom's response to this statement they probably immediately pictured affirmative action, no?

What they dont envision is the legacy by his father, and the nepotism that pulled GW into the Ivies....At any rate, I suspect that after watching the past 8 years of zany, clown-like gaffes, faux pas and out right mis-articulations, the current president is probably trying to play it safe by using a teleprompter...I dont blame him...lest he wind up bumbling, stumbling, and bungling speaking engagements to the extent that we have witnessed for the past two administrations..lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates