Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 12:12 AM

932 posts, read 1,673,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
No it doesn't surprise me I would like to see which college's these are, but women have always been better at school than men. AA should be taken away, I'm for the best man win scenario. It's not b/c of color that these people commit crimes it's a culture thing that only seems to exist in a lot higher numbers than white people and Asians and Indians and my point is it's not b/c of a lack of money but lack of parenting and lazy people but why ? Being poor only means you don't go to Tahiti for vacation but you drive to Florida and camp instead of staying in a hotel.
I posted the link a while back.

"But now Harvard's black student graduation rate has increased to 95 percent, once again the highest among U.S. colleges and universities."

http://www.jbhe.com/images/issue50/b...gradrates3.gif

Old 05-12-2009, 12:12 AM

8,276 posts, read 23,007,221 times
Quote:
Asians only make up 5 percent of the U.S. population but account for nearly 30 percent of all new med school grads. The number is alot higher in fields like engineering. It seems these days that even white students are falling behind because alot of American families are breaking down.

When it comes down to it, the break down to the family unit and personal responsibility has alot to do with poverty these days.

A little ironic don't you think? So its just not a black thing, its a trend that is very distubring in North America today.
Agreed, but if white people can't get into college's in cali...too bad either do better to get in or go to college in Vermont

Old 05-12-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Then why have Jews done so well? or German's ? aren't they affected by WW2?

I'm not trying to be mean or rude or insensitive but if people are still affected by things that happened before they were even born then they are mental midgets. Then they have more problems to worry about not just racism. Why not the attitude of " We'll I'll change that!!!"
I posted a link on my first response to you that shows how the psychological effects have manifested itself in black culture. But you dismissed a college professors work as ask.com....

If you want to know and be educated on these issues you are so curious about, you should just read.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
I posted a link on my first response to you that shows how the psychological effects have manifested itself in black culture. But you dismissed a college professors work as ask.com....

If you want to know and be educated on these issues you are so curious about, you should just read.

You misunderstood me, thank you for the links but I would like to know what others here personally thought on the issue.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:21 AM

But opinions only matter so much. Everyone thinks differently and opinions can not be refuted. Every thing I say, you can counter back with whatever you think and then nothing will ever change, it will be a full on rant.

With scholarly pieces of work demonstrating why such things occur, one can refute them, but only if they prove these facts to be wrong.

Remember, if you want to learn, then you have to learn by reading factual data and not opinions because opinions are not fact.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:25 AM

I guess I'm fascinated with the issue, here in Milwaukee several reports have come out with Milwaukee being the most segregated city in the us and others have debunked these reports but I live here and we are segregated and I'm amazed on how many people in Wisconsin, Milwaukee and the us think Milwaukee is a crime ridden city but our crime was bad and is still more than it should be but 99.99% of our violent crime happens in the north side inner city and the near south side one section 90% or more black and the other 90% all Hispanic or more.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
But opinions only matter so much. Everyone thinks differently and opinions can not be refuted. Every thing I say, you can counter back with whatever you think and then nothing will ever change, it will be a full on rant.
No not really I asked for opinions and that's all I expect to get, it's just debating. I don't lose my cool like other cd'ers here.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:35 AM

Violence and socioeconomic status go hand in hand.

The lower the income level, the higher the murder rate. Of course parents(those who are not on drugs themselves) teach their kids that their is more to life than the street life, but if you are 14 and your lights are constantly turned off, or you have no hot water, or adequate food, and people are selling drugs around you then its a stronger possibility that you are going to want the fast money. Teachers in the schools can combat that so much.

Why? Because these kids may have to be the parent at home and then come to school and expect to be a child. The kid then drops out because he has to take care of his brothers and sisters at home. And being in school doesn't make you money. Drugs=violence. Its a perpetual cycle that continues.

Even if say, the middle brother goes to college and breaks the cycle, that is not changing the fact that his younger sisters and brothers are still living in that environment.

Yes, there are programs in place to help, but money is the root of all evil.

I work at a Charter School, which used to be one of the worst public schools in Philly, until they changed the program to charter. I see kids everyday that deal with these issues. Like I said, its deeper and more complex than any of us can understand.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
With scholarly pieces of work demonstrating why such things occur, one can refute them, but only if they prove these facts to be wrong.

Remember, if you want to learn, then you have to learn by reading factual data and not opinions because opinions are not fact.
When it comes to sociology it just educated opinion anyways, if scholarly works were all fact then we wouldn't have a lot of the problems we have. They are just theories not fact but they have stats to back up their theories but in the end they are just theories. But that's another debate.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:46 AM

What I can do in my life is to live by my values and try to reach out to one person at a time. If I can stop a young girl from becoming a teen parent, then I am ok with that. You can only set an example and hope that they see what is better for them in the long run, one person at a time. Then that one person can turn into 2,3,4 etc. and hopefully they give back to their community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates