U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-15-2009, 08:20 PM
 
44,891 posts, read 43,448,036 times
Reputation: 14479

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
This might be the best controversial thread ever, with all the post being educated theories and ideas without the name calling or people getting overly offended. I have read some great ideas and suggestions and have to commend all for staying respectful to all.
Well, I had to do research to make my points valid. I knew there was more than meets the eye.

 
Old 07-15-2009, 10:32 PM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,292 posts, read 10,168,587 times
Reputation: 3535
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
cool...Im not sure what you mean by putting you on, and dont wish to know...

You were trying to be sarcastic by stating that you guess Africa was doing just fine, and that they didnt realize we could stop sending them "aide" and it didnt really work...simple as that...

You sarcastically said that you guess Africa was doing well "in its own way" and I replied by stating that Africa was doing just fine before being invaded, and imperialised and I maintain that stance...They certainly didnt ask to be colonized...Perhaps you thought I was joking..

I wasnt, Africa was subsisting perfectly fine before foreign invasion and imperialism...I dont recall any historical evidence that they initially asked for any foreign "aide"....other than the fact that the imperialist felt as though Africa was "behind" and thus took it upon themselves to enter and exploit the nation's resources under the guises of "aiding" them.

if you feel you are being "put on" or whatever, too bad..you CHOSE not to accept my statement my valid opinion...and since you cant take me seriously and I certainly havent been taking you seriously then why not just refrain from addressing each other?

You know, I never quite thought of it that way before. Africa and the Americas for that matter was doing fine before colonization. the natives in their respective countries lived as one with nature and never took more from the land than needed. A example of this is before the settlers came to the Americas there were miles of buffalo throughout the plains and in a few decades they were almost gone.

I really haqte to point fingers but the heck with it......IT WAS THE BRITISH FAULT! They created Kuwait and you see what happened after that. They colonized South Africa racist system along with the Dutch, Austraila and other parts of "uncivilized Africa"
 
Old 07-15-2009, 10:51 PM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,292 posts, read 10,168,587 times
Reputation: 3535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
This may be an extremely stupid question, by why are you unable to trace your ancestory back to a particular country in Africa?

Not too long ago, I was speaking with a black lady in my office who had traced her lineage back to Kenya. She acted as though it required virtually no effort.

What am I missing?
Not all black's ancestory is easy to trace, alot of it depends on the family history that has been past on from word of mouth (remember blacks were not allow to read or write for some time). Some Blacks who have large families and kept some sort of records told through stories, quilts ect. not to mention that thing called slavery which broke up more families and displaced their members throughout the country. I have a Irish surname which is very rare for blacks (5 families in the US) and a very small family 5th generation of only children (all Males). Your friend although she is black, family made not have desended from slaves which would make tracing her roots alot easier.
 
Old 07-15-2009, 11:40 PM
 
3,424 posts, read 5,109,946 times
Reputation: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
You know, I never quite thought of it that way before. Africa and the Americas for that matter was doing fine before colonization. the natives in their respective countries lived as one with nature and never took more from the land than needed. A example of this is before the settlers came to the Americas there were miles of buffalo throughout the plains and in a few decades they were almost gone.

I really haqte to point fingers but the heck with it......IT WAS THE BRITISH FAULT! They created Kuwait and you see what happened after that. They colonized South Africa racist system along with the Dutch, Austraila and other parts of "uncivilized Africa"

I agree...The reality is that Africa was "improved" according to who?...who even determined that it needed to be improved, prior to the arrival of Europeans? But now that it has been exploited and pillaged we can try to act as though it has always been some under-civilized continent that begged Europe to send her saviors to develop it...please

When Europeans arrived in America they viewed the Native Americans as savages in need of "development"...and so they set out to "develop" the nation and they did alright..

This country is certainly developed now. But again at who's expense? Where has European imperialism left the Native Americans? And again, the development of this nation has been successful according to the European definition of improvement...I suspect Native Americans from that era would think otherwise...the only way to disregard that possibility would be through a purely Eurocentric outlook.

Each of these cultures somehow existed well enough long before receiving any "aide"/being invaded..perhaps they didnt exist well enough according to European standards but they were content in their lifestyles..

It has been Europeans who have determined who needs to be improved and "developed"; according to their European standards...

ironically each of these attempts at 'development' have resulted in the exploitation of people, land or both. And the native inhabitants of the lands certainly have lost more than they have gained through the development process.
 
Old 07-16-2009, 09:33 AM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,564,250 times
Reputation: 3876
It certainly is nice to know that every place in the world was perfect before Europeans messed with it.

I guess all the history books are lying.
 
Old 07-16-2009, 10:33 AM
 
1,718 posts, read 1,998,900 times
Reputation: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
It certainly is nice to know that every place in the world was perfect before Europeans messed with it.

I guess all the history books are lying.
Things were not all that rosy in North America and Africa before Europeans went to those places in large numbers. Europeans were not the only ones conducting war. The different ethnic groups and different tribes in North America and Africa fought vicious wars with each other. While advances were being made in Europe that made life easier, life in North America and Africa was very tough. Advances in Europe in agriculture and medicine were making for healthier and longer lives for Europeans. This was not the case in North America and Africa. Etc., etc.

- Reel
 
Old 07-16-2009, 10:42 AM
 
44,891 posts, read 43,448,036 times
Reputation: 14479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
Things were not all that rosy in North America and Africa before Europeans went to those places in large numbers. Europeans were not the only ones conducting war. The different ethnic groups and different tribes in North America and Africa fought vicious wars with each other. While advances were being made in Europe that made life easier, life in North America and Africa was very tough. Advances in Europe in agriculture and medicine were making for healthier and longer lives for Europeans. This was not the case in North America and Africa. Etc., etc.

- Reel
I will admit, they were not all rosy, but neither were things in Europe. Every continent had issues. Things got worse when people tried to exploit other people. This is something you should look at and think about: Guns Germs, & Steel: Home
 
Old 07-16-2009, 10:54 AM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,564,250 times
Reputation: 3876
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I will admit, they were not all rosy, but neither were things in Europe. Every continent had issues.
Ya don't say.

So may be it's kind of a human nature thing, and all the ills of the world are not the fault of white heterosexual men?
 
Old 07-16-2009, 10:58 AM
 
44,891 posts, read 43,448,036 times
Reputation: 14479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Ya don't say.

So may be it's kind of a human nature thing, and all the ills of the world are not the fault of white heterosexual men?
Again, I am not here to turn this into a "blame the white man" issue. I am just stating historical facts. None of the continents were perfect, but explorers who came from Europe did more exploiting from Africa than anyone else. That is just a fact. Africa had turmoil before hand. That is a fact too. Africa turned into a worse mess when the continent was taken advantage off. That is a fact too.
 
Old 07-16-2009, 11:03 AM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,564,250 times
Reputation: 3876
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Again, I am not here to turn this into a "blame the white man" issue. I am just stating historical facts. None of the continents were perfect, but explorers who came from Europe did more exploiting from Africa than anyone else. That is just a fact. Africa had turmoil before hand. That is a fact too. Africa turned into a worse mess when the continent was taken advantage off. That is a fact too.
Doublespeak.

You start by saying you're not here to turn this into a "blame the white man" issue, then you turn around and spend the reset of the paragraph blaming the white man.

So... Would you assert that there were never Africans that invaded other areas or countries?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top