U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2009, 04:40 PM

1,310 posts, read 2,644,226 times

Advertisements

'What's Wrong With Blacks, Hispanics but Not Asians? '

REPLY: Asians gave us alot of great Chinese Restaurants, Hyundai, and Ty Kwan Do (??)

Old 07-16-2009, 05:47 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,498,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I am asking why and reading books about these things. In my anthropology class, my professor showed the film, Guns,Germs,and Steel. It helped me to launch more research.

I am a firm believer than no human being is inferior and that people are often products of their environment.
I couldn't agree more. And THE single most toxic environment is an environment of excuse-making and self-perpetuating victimhood.

Nobody can change the past. And those who are unwilling to move beyond it are doomed to be its victims.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:54 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,095,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I never said Africa was the only continent that was ever invade. I said it was treated WORSE than any other continent. That was the point I was trying to make. It was invaded and colonized WORSE.
I agree with this statement...The magnitude to which Africa was exploited was more profound than in other regions....more profound in both the sense that its resources were removed and pillaged IN ADDITION TO the fact that those SAME resources were then reallocated towards the improvement of countries that we recognize today as more advanced.

Africa was at one time the richest continent on the earth (with regards to natural resources)...If the continent with the most natural resources is pilfered, then (obviously) whoever pillages that continent stands to reap the most benefit...

In that Africa had no region based govt. bodies established at the time of its colonization, there were few boundaries to the exploitation that occurred throughout its varied regions...

Old 07-16-2009, 09:04 PM

481 posts, read 809,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I agree with this statement...The magnitude to which Africa was exploited was more profound than in other regions....more profound in both the sense that its resources were removed and pillaged IN ADDITION TO the fact that those SAME resources were then reallocated towards the improvement of countries that we recognize today as more advanced.

Africa was at one time the richest continent on the earth (with regards to natural resources)...If the continent with the most natural resources is pilfered, then (obviously) whoever pillages that continent stands to reap the most benefit...

In that Africa had no region based govt. bodies established at the time of its colonization, there were few boundaries to the exploitation that occurred throughout its varied regions...
And to piggy back of that, those societies that some of the people here have been talking about as being more advanced and superior got that way from exploitation. Do you think England would have gained it's wealth without colonizing and exploiting India? Do you think France, Britian, and Belgium would have gotten as far without the wealth taken from Africa? Of course not.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:59 PM
miu

16,521 posts, read 33,487,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post

But you could really make the same observations about what happened in North America with the Native Americans and in South America too with the Spaniards being the dominating outsiders. Also in Hawaii and the islands in the Pacific. When the natives are so much more behind in their cultural and technical development than the invaders, it's just human nature to take advantage of the situation.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:28 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,662,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
You know, I never quite thought of it that way before. Africa and the Americas for that matter was doing fine before colonization. the natives in their respective countries lived as one with nature and never took more from the land than needed. A example of this is before the settlers came to the Americas there were miles of buffalo throughout the plains and in a few decades they were almost gone.

I really haqte to point fingers but the heck with it......IT WAS THE BRITISH FAULT! They created Kuwait and you see what happened after that. They colonized South Africa racist system along with the Dutch, Austraila and other parts of "uncivilized Africa"
And the word Darwinism comes to mind here: the stronger vanquishing the weaker.

Not just by 'force of arms' but; by better education, etc.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
And to piggy back of that, those societies that some of the people here have been talking about as being more advanced and superior got that way from exploitation. Do you think England would have gained it's wealth without colonizing and exploiting India? Do you think France, Britian, and Belgium would have gotten as far without the wealth taken from Africa? Of course not.
My point exactly...and I realize that ALMOST every group of people on this earth has committed wrong doings at some point or another...I have mentioned as much several times in my past posts...

but I think that the DEGREE of exploitation and war campaigns to which adversaries have been subjected is what first and most importantly determines how successful or unsuccessful they will be in their subsequent recovery.

I also feel as though while Africa, particularly, is struggling to rebound, much of their complications can be traced to the fact that their native land has been drastically altered from its original state through both poaching/over poaching and the destruction of their native habitat.

Many parts of Africa which were once lush rainforests are now little more than grassland...Many villages were only accustomed to subsisting in the rainforests habitat and struggled to maintain their way of life after native plants, animals, and other foods and resources were either displaced, decreased in number, or altogether destroyed during colonization and imperialization.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
One thing that I have found in doing my research that I think may have a lot to do with it is the average IQs of the inhabitants of the various nations. The average IQ in Africa south of the Sahara is about 70. The average IQ of the nations in Western Europe and the US is about 100. That's 2 standard deviations and is quite significant.

- Reel
Such discrepancies of IQ are essentially due to cultural upbringing, not race.

Why I say that is the difference between American Blacks and Whites may be 10 points-----------tops. And the avg IQ of the former has been increasing due to changes in attitudes at home.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
Flip side: Japan had its territories taken away after WW II and that nation is many times the economic powerhouse today compared to the 1930's. Too Japan had also been blown to smithereens-----------conventional wisdom would suggest that it would have remained a shattered shell for generations.

Remember that in many cases the Brits, French, etc. cut their colonies loose two generations back because they were becoming net liabilities.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Flip side: Japan had its territories taken away after WW II and that nation is many times the economic powerhouse today compared to the 1930's. Too Japan had also been blown to smithereens-----------conventional wisdom would suggest that it would have remained a shattered shell for generations.

Remember that in many cases the Brits, French, etc. cut their colonies loose two generations back because they were becoming net liabilities.

Good point ArizonaB...I could certainly be mistaken, but didnt the U.S. (one of Japan's presumed adversaries) actually help rebuild Japan after the destruction of it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates