U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-17-2009, 09:33 PM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,292 posts, read 10,101,303 times
Reputation: 3530

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I know that the overall IQ of people in SubSaharan Africa is lower, but have you ever thought of why that is?
Since you all want to compare IQs, what about the Japanese? Their IQ's are collectively higher than the average american, what does that signify?

It

 
Old 07-17-2009, 09:38 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,457,074 times
Reputation: 3868
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
That may be true but blacks were still being lynched AFTER the the bill was passed. Johnny Gammage in Pittsburgh, Rodney King in LA I think that you get the point
Pssssttttt... Rodney King wasn't lynched. And though he didn't deserve the beating that got caught on tape, he was a career criminal who was constantly in trouble with the law. He was hardly an innocent victim.
 
Old 07-17-2009, 09:49 PM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,292 posts, read 10,101,303 times
Reputation: 3530
[quote=History Rules;9766977][/color]

Jews have been able to Garner (you mean study, work hard and make an influence without handouts)? Also unlike American Blacks, no Jew will ever be president and I can tell you there are several Jews out there that can give a speech without a teleprompter.

Apparently if all things were equal there wouldn't be equal minorities like the equal exam the firefighters where given in New Haven connecticut.

How can you say that a jew will never be president? Jews in America have a considerable amount of power in the world, why would they need a handout? As far as the other assinine statement that you made about blacks needing handouts. For one, if the 200 hundred years of racial oppression that the blacks had suffered had never happened and were treated equally in the first place this discussion would not take place at all. You quoted ONE instance of racial disparity and ran with it, how many landmark decisions have been against blacks and are still going on today that you did not mention? Oh by the way since you are an avid FOX watcher, did they mention that this really had nothing to do with any black action against the fire dept? The black firefighters did not say or do anything to promote that fight, the administration created their own probelms ASSUMING that the blacks would sue if the test was not changed.
Please explain what does reading from a teleprompter have to do with anything?
 
Old 07-17-2009, 09:51 PM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,292 posts, read 10,101,303 times
Reputation: 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Pssssttttt... Rodney King wasn't lynched. And though he didn't deserve the beating that got caught on tape, he was a career criminal who was constantly in trouble with the law. He was hardly an innocent victim.
A lynching does not have to be a hanging, irregardless what his past was NO one should have been beaten like he was, especially by law enforcement. This is the NEW lynching
 
Old 07-17-2009, 09:52 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,457,074 times
Reputation: 3868
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
A lynching does not have to be a hanging, irregardless what his past was NO one should have been beaten like he was, especially by law enforcement. This is the NEW lynching
Ahhhh... So it's okay for you to intentionally use inflammatory language, even though it's incorrect.

Methinks your intentions are far too obvious.
 
Old 07-17-2009, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
16,116 posts, read 20,148,778 times
Reputation: 8204
Rodney King was lynched?
Couldn't we all just get along?
 
Old 07-17-2009, 09:58 PM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,292 posts, read 10,101,303 times
Reputation: 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Why are you continuing this little game?

First you're acting like only Africa was ever invade - and that, of course, by whites. Then when that's proven wrong, you simply move to random blame claim. Then when that's proven wrong, you simply move on to another excuse.

And all the while, you simply insist that Whites have somehow permanently victimized the rest of the world.

But you're wrong. You're just plain wrong. And if you would spend some time studying history, you'd know that. Every race, every country, every continent and every religion (or lack thereof) has engaged in warfare and/or persecution. You just want to believe that Blacks and/or Africa have been more victimized than anybody else in the history of the world - and thus, you have an excuse for anything that is wrong in your life.

I guess you see what you want to see.
Hmmm, lets put it this way Europeans took conquering/colonizing to a whole different level with american slavery. I really feel that b/c Africa does not have a centralized government or one common culture made it easier to be exploited. Had it not been the Euros it whould have been someone else
 
Old 07-17-2009, 10:02 PM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,292 posts, read 10,101,303 times
Reputation: 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Ahhhh... So it's okay for you to intentionally use inflammatory language, even though it's incorrect.

Methinks your intentions are far too obvious.
Lynching in most peoples minds consist of a rope and some poor unfortunate person on the other end. This is not necessarily true, granted Rodney did not die but the symbolism was there. Well if you won't accept that example, how about the man who was dragged by a chain from a p/u truck in Texas. Would that be considered a lynching?
 
Old 07-17-2009, 10:06 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,457,074 times
Reputation: 3868
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Lynching in most peoples minds consist of a rope and some poor unfortunate person on the other end. This is not necessarily true, granted Rodney did not die but the symbolism was there. Well if you won't accept that example, how about the man who was dragged by a chain from a p/u truck in Texas. Would that be considered a lynching?
No, that was no lynching. Let's be honest about the definition of words. Let's stop using inflammatory rhetoric - incorrectly - in order to incite racial tension.

Here's the definition of lynching: "to put to death, esp. by hanging, by mob action and without legal authority."


The black gentleman in Texas, who was dragged to death behind a pickup, was NOT lynched. The perpetrators of the crime should have been tried for and convicted of First Degree Murder - which I believe they were. In fact, two of the three of them received the death penalty.


But no, he was not lynched.
 
Old 07-17-2009, 10:12 PM
 
3,424 posts, read 5,087,903 times
Reputation: 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
But you could really make the same observations about what happened in North America with the Native Americans and in South America too with the Spaniards being the dominating outsiders. Also in Hawaii and the islands in the Pacific. When the natives are so much more behind in their cultural and technical development than the invaders, it's just human nature to take advantage of the situation.
You make a good point miu...and I agree that the same could be said of the Native Americans and Hawaiians, but thats one of my points...

IMO: If you look at Hawaii - the TRUE Hawaiian culture is almost destitute as a result of the cultural and geographical exploitation they have undergone. Despite its flourishing tourism industry most Native Hawiians (the ones outside the tourism industry) are barely living above the poverty threshold...of course the 'developed' areas of the islands are worth inhabiting but again, the Native Hawiians live in comparably (to the rest of the U.S.) abject poverty.

The Native Americans - well that one is pretty self explanatory IMO...

Their culture AND homeland has been left in ruins...WE dont consider it 'ruins' because we are the ones benefiting from it...but to a culture who was reliant on their natural native habitat for subsistence, I contend that the Native American culture would view their natural environment as destroyed ...Again, when their native habitat (including bison) was destroyed, and they were relocated to unfamiliar reservation territory, their culture suffered colossal setbacks as well....(a point Sandpointian made rather well)
and it is still struggling today

Similar geographical decimation occurred in Africa; however on a much larger scale due to the abundance of naturally occurring resources there.

Last edited by solytaire; 07-17-2009 at 10:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top