U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-18-2009, 09:53 AM
 
3,424 posts, read 5,087,903 times
Reputation: 1814

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Emmitt Till was not lynched, regardless of how many times you repeat the lie. He was beaten to death. That is not lynching.

But don't despair, Emmitt Till was (unless all evidence was incorrect) a black boy that was beaten to death by white men - so you can still sit smugly on your claim that it was racially motivated (something nobody has ever denied).

In fact, it goes without saying that every black person killed in the United States was somehow - in some way - killed by a White person. There HAS to be a connection in there somehow. It might be a Black teen that was drunk and crashed his crotch-rocket. If he was killed it was somehow the fault of a White person. Maybe a White person sold him the motorcycle - or the whiskey. But it was inevitably the fault of Whites. In fact, it was undoubtedly a "lynching"!!!!!
Cool, you dont think Emmitt Till was lynched, and I know he was, based on the definitions of "lynching" that I found..which is all I can go by.

Just because you (some regular, random person on the internet) gives a definition of lynching that you accept and would like to have accepted by everyone doesnt mean that I should have to disregard the textbook definition of the word as provided by multiple ACADEMIC INSTITUTIONS simply because you say otherwise...

If Im lying about Emmitt Till being lynched, then those who defined the word are lying about the definition of the word.

 
Old 07-18-2009, 09:56 AM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,457,074 times
Reputation: 3868
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Cool, you dont think Emmitt Till was lynched, and I know he was, based on the definitions of "lynching" that I found..which is all I can go by.

Just because you (some regular, random person on the internet) gives a definition of lynching that you accept and would like to have accepted by everyone doesnt mean that I should have to disregard the textbook definition of the word as provided by multiple ACADEMIC INSTITUTIONS simply because you say otherwise...

If Im lying about the definition, then those who defined the word are lying about the definition of the word.
You are lying because every dictionary includes "especially hanging" or "by hanging" in their definition of "lynching", not because I say you are lying.


But it's okay. It's fine. Lying in an effort to incite undue anger - albeit completely dishonestly - is perfectly fine, provided a non-White is doing it. And if it can stir up race-based tensions, even better!


So I ask you... Is it the fault of whites, if non-whites are caught lying? I suppose it is, isn't it?
 
Old 07-18-2009, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Rogers, AR
481 posts, read 807,841 times
Reputation: 391
It is beneath me to debate stupid. So go ahead and have the last word as a gift from me to you because I know how agrivated you get when you can't get that last line in and I would hate for you to have a coronary over it. After that though, I am done with you. Go harrass your wife, she's stuck with you and has to take your abuse. Not me.
 
Old 07-18-2009, 10:08 AM
 
3,424 posts, read 5,087,903 times
Reputation: 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
You are lying because every dictionary includes "especially hanging" or "by hanging" in their definition of "lynching", not because I say you are lying.


But it's okay. It's fine. Lying in an effort to incite undue anger - albeit completely dishonestly - is perfectly fine, provided a non-White is doing it. And if it can stir up race-based tensions, even better!

If Im lying, you are lying as well...because the definitions I found did not specify hangings as the only form of lynching.

Whoever is getting emotionally "stirred" by the mere use of the word 'lynching' has their own emotional instability to contend with...the word is not the problem.

- 'Especially by hanging' does not negate the fact that the broader definition of "lynching" is: GENERALLY MEANS AN EXECUTION BY A MOB...or TO KILL WITHOUT LEGAL SANCTION...(according to the web definitions that I found)

Citing ONE form of lynching does not make untrue, the BROADER definition..

Emmitt Till was killed by a GROUP of non-adjudicating men for breaking THEIR LAW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
So I ask you... Is it the fault of whites, if non-whites are caught lying? I suppose it is, isn't it?
It is the fault of whoever is doing the wrongful accusing...
 
Old 07-18-2009, 10:12 AM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,457,074 times
Reputation: 3868
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
It is beneath me to debate stupid. So go ahead and have the last word as a gift from me to you because I know how agrivated you get when you can't get that last line in and I would hate for you to have a coronary over it. After that though, I am done with you. Go harrass your wife, she's stuck with you and has to take your abuse. Not me.
It must be kind of horrible to live with such seething hatred. I pity you. I actually fear for your kids.

And it's okay. You can admit that you've been beaten again. You provided dishonest definitions and were called out on it. You were trying to use racially-incendiary language, and were exposed.

If you want to actually talk to somebody about racial issues, I would suggest that you start by being honest. Obviously, that would be quite a stretch for you, but if you tried it you might like it.


On the other hand, you could just start LIVING racial equality. It's something that I've found to be amazingly refreshing and eye-opening. Maybe you could do what my family did and intentionally move into a neighborhood where you're the minority - and just live there and be a person. You might learn something!
 
Old 07-18-2009, 10:14 AM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,457,074 times
Reputation: 3868
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
If Im lying, you are lying as well...because the definitions I found did not specify hangings as the only form of lynching.

Whoever is getting emotionally "stirred" by the mere use of the word 'lynching' has their own emotional instability to contend with...the word is not the problem.

- 'Especially by hanging' does not negate the fact that the broader definition of "lynching" is: GENERALLY MEANS AN EXECUTION BY A MOB...or TO KILL WITHOUT LEGAL SANCTION...(according to the web definitions that I found)

Citing ONE form of lynching does not make untrue, the BROADER definition..

Emmitt Till was killed by a GROUP of non-adjudicating men for breaking THEIR LAW.

It is the fault of whoever is doing the wrongful accusing...
Now you're making up crap about how Emmitt Till was killed.

And you continue to lie about the definition of "lynching".


I don't know why you people continue to do this.
 
Old 07-18-2009, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
16,116 posts, read 20,148,778 times
Reputation: 8204
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
A lynching does not have to be a hanging, irregardless what his past was NO one should have been beaten like he was, especially by law enforcement. This is the NEW lynching
OK Mumia http://www.amren.com/mtnews/archives/faulkner.jpg (broken link) for a while I was offended by some of the generalizations about blacks but then you go to the other extreme. This thread will go nowhere because both sides are stuck to extreme beliefs. Dann Faulkner was my friend

Last edited by Boompa; 07-18-2009 at 10:41 AM..
 
Old 07-18-2009, 10:31 AM
 
3,424 posts, read 5,087,903 times
Reputation: 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Now you're making up crap about how Emmitt Till was killed.

And you continue to lie about the definition of "lynching".


I don't know why you people continue to do this.
whatever...you have yet to prove how I am lying about any of the definitions of lynching I have used.

And you are lying about the Emmett Till story as well.
 
Old 07-18-2009, 10:36 AM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,457,074 times
Reputation: 3868
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
whatever...you have yet to prove how I am lying about any of the definitions of lynching I have used.

And you are lying about the Emmett Till story as well.
Explain exactly how I'm lying about the Emmitt Till story, or just admit that you're lying about that too.


As for definitions of Lynching, I'll simply refer you to Post #666 - put up by your twin lung CulturedMom. The only definition that does NOT include "by hanging" or "especially hanging" is the definition that does not come from a dictionary.


Too bad for you two. You've simply been beaten. Again.
 
Old 07-18-2009, 10:39 AM
 
8,649 posts, read 14,870,155 times
Reputation: 4563
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
If Im lying, you are lying as well...because the definitions I found did not specify hangings as the only form of lynching.

Whoever is getting emotionally "stirred" by the mere use of the word 'lynching' has their own emotional instability to contend with...the word is not the problem.

- 'Especially by hanging' does not negate the fact that the broader definition of "lynching" is: GENERALLY MEANS AN EXECUTION BY A MOB...or TO KILL WITHOUT LEGAL SANCTION...(according to the web definitions that I found)

Citing ONE form of lynching does not make untrue, the BROADER definition..

Emmitt Till was killed by a GROUP of non-adjudicating men for breaking THEIR LAW.



It is the fault of whoever is doing the wrongful accusing...
"by hanging" You left out these two words in your definition.......


lynch |lin ch |
verb [ trans. ]
(of a mob) kill (someone), esp. by hanging, for an alleged offense with or without a legal trial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top