U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 08:23 AM

9,371 posts, read 17,500,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
My opinion is: it's a cultural thing, too many blacks/Hispanics and white trash included focus or glorify the bad things in this world as "cool" and this eventually holds them down. Moving from the "hood" to the suburbs is not selling out, it's saving your life.

1. Being a gangster is not cool
2. You are not more gangster b/c you live in a rougher neighborhood
3. Using the F-bomb every other word is not cool and not swearing doesn't make you a nerd.
4. Going to school everyday and taking summer school is not lame or nerdy but very smart.
5. Being poor gives you no reason to dress like a homeless man or shoot people or rob people.
6. If you can't find a job create your own and work for your self.
7. The working man is not a fool he is a man who provides for his family and lives to life expectancy.
8. Exercise and eating health doesn't mean you have to be rich to do so.
9. Being materialistic and self centered leaves alone and broke.
10. Stop Blaming others for things that have happened to you and start working through it without shooting someone
11. Going out every weekend and getting drunk is not what your supposed to do.
12. Stop this "Woe is me" attitude and you'll be better off for it.

Our whole society in America glorifies things that shouldn't be glorified but just b/c our society sells the following does not mean you have to buy what our society is selling.
sex
gangs
drugs
pimpin'
fighting

here's is a little saying I like to use:

"If you think everyone is out to get you, then everyone will get you"

or

"If you think the man is holding you down then the man will hold you down"

meaning: only you can control your own destiny, some of us have more bumps in the road to get around but that's life just deal with it. I don't know how many rags to riches stories we need before people actually realize it's up to you to make things happen or work through things that have happened to you.

Apparently you haven't visited some of the southeast Asian communities in southern and northern California where gangs are rampant and the gangsta culture is alive and kicking.

Each race and ethnicity has a social pecking order. Whites, blacks, hispanics and yes, even Asians. Within each ethnicity it is common for let's say lighter skinned Mexicans to frown upon the darker skinned Mexicans. Lighter skinned south Americans often look at themselves as superior to the black hispanics and Native Indians of S.A.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:36 AM
miu

16,471 posts, read 33,443,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Personally, I believe that once the problem of out of wedlock birth is solved in the black community then things will really turn around.
No society can prosper when over 70% of it's children are born out of wedlock. It is the surest way to poverty that exists.
I agree. And the Hispanic community is second to the blacks in terms of having a high percentage of single parents.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:37 AM

8,812 posts, read 9,631,609 times
Why doesn’t someone start a thread about what’s wrong in America when Millions of hard working, educated, law abiding, Black families (with father and mother present) still don’t do as well as whites families. That is the tough question nobody wants to answer. African Americans who are gang banging, fatherless, dope pedaling gun toting, high school drop outs who don’t succeed are easy to fix. Forget about them, let them die, in the black community they don’t represent main stream black culture. Although they do serve as a reminder to some people as to why they don’t like African Americans. The African Americans that I see who are not getting ahead share the same American values that Asians, Whites and hard working immigrants are rewarded for.
There was a famous Indian killer in the 17th century who sacked and burned an Indian village slaughtering all the inhabitants’ women, children and men too. He reported that for all practical purposes they were living just like White settlers. In fact you could not tell the difference. But they were all killed any way.
That’s the mindset that I would question in America. African Americans who for all practical purposes live like whites are treated and thought of no differently than the worst examples of the group.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 05-12-2009, 09:51 AM

72 posts, read 238,020 times
To the poster who said I manipulated my statistics, I disagree.

Toronto is primarily populated by european and asian peoples. Toronto's homicide rate is 3.3 per 100,000.

Miami is populated mostly by hispanics and blacks. Its homicide rate is 19 per 100,000.

I think that race is a factor in this correlation.

Please don't use the argument "Asians are in gangs and commit crimes too!" That is so silly. What percentage of L.A.'s prison population is Asian? .5%??? (I don't know the real answer to this question and don't have time to find it right now).
Asians are no where near as likely to be incarcerated as Hispanics and Blacks.

Instead of simply bashing or throwing away my argument, I would expect you to find statistical evidence proving it wrong. I'm all ears!
'Prove' your point! Show me one study that proves that Asians commit more crime that other minorities!

Old 05-12-2009, 10:02 AM

4,990 posts, read 4,456,969 times
For a group that 40 yrs ago were 2nd class citizens to now not only dominating popular culture but also the mantle of presidency, African Americans have done pretty well for themselves.

We have to remember that even though we have Oprah, Will Smith, 50 Cents (I believe he signed a 400 million dollar deal with a soda comp.), Tiger Woods are pop icons blacks went through major hurdles in the 60's-80's. It probably hard to imagine nowadays but the NBA did not accept blacks (and I think even jews) once upon a time.

If Obama can get this green economy rolling, middle class jobs that are for available first and foremost for U.S. citizens, inspired by the Obamas many blacks will go into non-traditional areas just like they did in the 60's, 70's and 80's.

Oh and by the way if not for the civil rights movement many of the successful non black minorities might not only not be as successful as they are now but they might not even be in the country in the first place.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:12 AM

812 posts, read 2,079,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
For a group that 40 yrs ago were 2nd class citizens to now not only dominating popular culture but also the mantle of presidency, African Americans have done pretty well for themselves.

We have to remember that even though we have Oprah, Will Smith, 50 Cents (I believe he signed a 400 million dollar deal with a soda comp.), Tiger Woods are pop icons blacks went through major hurdles in the 60's-80's. It probably hard to imagine nowadays but the NBA did not accept blacks (and I think even jews) once upon a time.

If Obama can get this green economy rolling, middle class jobs that are for available first and foremost for U.S. citizens, inspired by the Obamas many blacks will go into non-traditional areas just like they did in the 60's, 70's and 80's.

Oh and by the way if not for the civil rights movement many of the successful non black minorities might not only not be as successful as they are now but they might not even be in the country in the first place.
well, this doesn't answer the question but good point. i never did understand though why such discriminated group such as african americans would want desegregation and want to live around those responsible for it. that doesn't make much sense to me, i would want to live away.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:23 AM

8,293 posts, read 22,473,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Why doesnít someone start a thread about whatís wrong in America when Millions of hard working, educated, law abiding, Black families (with father and mother present) still donít do as well as whites families. That is the tough question nobody wants to answer. African Americans who are gang banging, fatherless, dope pedaling gun toting, high school drop outs who donít succeed are easy to fix. Forget about them, let them die, in the black community they donít represent main stream black culture. Although they do serve as a reminder to some people as to why they donít like African Americans. The African Americans that I see who are not getting ahead share the same American values that Asians, Whites and hard working immigrants are rewarded for.
There was a famous Indian killer in the 17th century who sacked and burned an Indian village slaughtering all the inhabitantsí women, children and men too. He reported that for all practical purposes they were living just like White settlers. In fact you could not tell the difference. But they were all killed any way.
Thatís the mindset that I would question in America. African Americans who for all practical purposes live like whites are treated and thought of no differently than the worst examples of the group.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Hmmmmm... Interesting broad-brushing going on there.

I live in a black neighborhood, in a predominantly black area of our city.

My neighbors are just good, cool, friendly, hard-working successful people - who happen to be black. I guess I've failed to assume that they're gang-banging drug-dealing murderers and rapists. I just think of them as my neighbors.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
well, this doesn't answer the question but good point. i never did understand though why such discriminated group such as african americans would want desegregation and want to live around those responsible for it. that doesn't make much sense to me, i would want to live away.
The supreme Court ruled that to be Segregated was Psychologicaly harmful to African Americans. The courts didn't decide this alone, a major psychological institute found this to be true.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Hmmmmm... Interesting broad-brushing going on there.

I live in a black neighborhood, in a predominantly black area of our city.

My neighbors are just good, cool, friendly, hard-working successful people - who happen to be black. I guess I've failed to assume that they're gang-banging drug-dealing murderers and rapists. I just think of them as my neighbors.
there are 30 million African Americans in the US what are the chances that all of them have neighbors like you?

Old 05-12-2009, 11:10 AM

8,293 posts, read 22,473,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
there are 30 million African Americans in the US what are the chances that all of them have neighbors like you?
What does that have to do with anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates