U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2009, 11:48 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,087,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post

Solytaire and I are making the same point. Qualifing a definition of lynching with "especially by hanging" does not mean that it is exclusive to or even necessarily so. It's ok to admit that we have a valid point, you know.
The phrase 'especially by hanging' is a modifier/qualifier. Meaning that it qualifies hanging, specifically, as a form of lynching.

THANK YOU!..God I couldnt think of the word...lol.. But 'Qualifier'...thats the word I was looking for..(I kept wanting to call it a modifier)

Last edited by solytaire; 07-18-2009 at 12:07 PM..

Old 07-18-2009, 11:50 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,468,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
"by hanging" You left out these two words in your definition.......

lynch |lin ch |
verb [ trans. ]
(of a mob) kill (someone), esp. by hanging, for an alleged offense with or without a legal trial.
Great. Now for your next project, I need you to go find me the definition for "especially".

K Thanks.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:16 PM

481 posts, read 807,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsykes View Post
great. Now for your next project, i need you to go find me the definition for "especially".

K thanks.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:18 PM

481 posts, read 807,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
The phrase 'especially by hanging' is a modifier/qualifier. Meaning that it qualifies hanging, specifically, as a form of lynching.

THANK YOU!..God I couldnt think of the word...lol.. But 'Qualifier'...thats the word I was looking for..(I kept wanting to call it a modifier)
That's ok, you are just getting, as us Jews would say, faclemnt, with having to water an otherwise intellegnt debate, with lessons on how to use the dictionary.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:36 PM

2,381 posts, read 4,409,314 times
Well in my community we have a share from each ethnicity. The dominant gangs are from mexican-Americans, African-Americans, Asians from Hmong and Russian. What's wrong with all of them should be the question.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:51 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,457,074 times
Quote:

Say, "Emmitt Till was lynched!" to a thousand people. Then ask them what they see when they think of that statement.

999 of them will say they see a black boy/man hanging from a tree while a bunch of cowards in white sheets and hoods stand by burning a cross. The other 1 is lying or too stupid to understand the question.

Claiming somebody was lynched, when they indeed weren't, is dishonest. It is intentionally inflammatory and incendiary. It is used by non-whites to conjure up deep emotions and feelings of racism, hearkening back to slave days.

Anybody who claims otherwise is lying - as are the people on this thread who keep claiming such.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Say, "Emmitt Till was lynched!" to a thousand people. Then ask them what they see when they think of that statement.

999 of them will say they see a black boy/man hanging from a tree while a bunch of cowards in white sheets and hoods stand by burning a cross. The other 1 is lying or too stupid to understand the question.

Claiming somebody was lynched, when they indeed weren't, is dishonest. It is intentionally inflammatory and incendiary. It is used by non-whites to conjure up deep emotions and feelings of racism, hearkening back to slave days.

Anybody who claims otherwise is lying - as are the people on this thread who keep claiming such.
Emmett Till was lynched according to the textbook definition of 'lynch'.

Based on that textbook definition, anyone who states otherwise is being dishonest...

I realize that hanging is a form of lynching as well.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Emmett Till was lynched according to the textbook definition of 'lynch'.

Based on that textbook definition, anyone who states otherwise is being dishonest...

I realize that hanging is a form of lynching as well.
Spin it any way you want. The definitions are there, as is the connotation. The public perception is absolute.

So is your dishonesty. But do keep at it. It's kind of amusing - albeit, in a sad sort of way.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:29 PM

Using the textbook definition of a word is "spinning" something?

Old 07-18-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Using the textbook definition of a word is "spinning" something?
No. But that's not what you're doing. What you're doing is intentionally dishonest, inflammatory and incendiary.

But that has been made more than obvious - and often. So you're free to continue to wallow if you wish. But all you're really doing is peeing into the wind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates