U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-27-2009, 01:04 PM
 
44,701 posts, read 43,237,894 times
Reputation: 14435

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I read what you posted. No problems here comprehending. But just because you posted it doesnt mean I agree with it. I disagree with your opinion that Mr. Gates was the only person with racial motivations in the situation. He may have been the only one who verbally placed a racial connotation to the situation. But it doesnt mean he is the only person who used race as the backdrop for the entire situation.

I do not understand how and will not accept that speaking disrespectfully towards police warrants an arrest in one's own home. If Mr. Gates is playing the race card here, the policeman sure placed it in the deck by unduly arresting him.
You made a point that very few people want to accept. Yelling at a police officer is not grounds for arrest. I think many people just want to attack Gates. I was talking to a friend of mine last night about the police. He told me that as long as I act like the police officer's "female dog"(substitute for the actually word he used), the cops would not mess with me. If I questioned the cop, the cop might have a problem. Personally, the only reason I don't yell at cops is because I am afraid of being in a confrontation with the police.

 
Old 07-27-2009, 01:20 PM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
16,521 posts, read 33,501,499 times
Reputation: 15259
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I read what you posted. No problems here comprehending. But just because you posted it doesnt mean I agree with it. I disagree with your opinion that Mr. Gates was the only person with racial motivations in the situation. He may have been the only one who verbally placed a racial connotation to the situation. But it doesnt mean he is the only person who used race as the backdrop for the entire situation.

I do not understand how and will not accept that speaking disrespectfully towards police warrants an arrest in one's own home. If Mr. Gates is playing the race card here, the policeman sure placed it in the deck by unduly arresting him.
But Gates ranted on about being a black man in America long before he was placed under arrest.... so I can't follow your logic on this post.

If Gates hadn't said anything about being a black man, then got arrested, then I could understand your post. However Gates threw out the race card in his first replies to the police officer when asked for his identification, Gates said "No, I will not. This is what happens to black men in America." And he apparently repeated this loudly several times outside.
 
Old 07-27-2009, 01:26 PM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
16,521 posts, read 33,501,499 times
Reputation: 15259
Even five days after his arrest, Gates was spewing racial crap like this:

Quote:
I believe the police officer should apologize to me for what he knows he did that was wrong,’’ Gates said in a phone interview from Martha’s Vineyard. “If he apologizes sincerely, I am willing to forgive him. And if he admits his error, I am willing to educate him about the history of racism in America and the issue of racial profiling.

“That’s what I do for a living,’’ he added.
He may be book smart, but he needs some lessons in diplomacy.And look at all those "I" statements also. As if he was royalty, but he just comes across as an arrogant bastard. And how nice that he can afford to stay in pricey Martha's Vineyard during the summer months. This conflict is about class and not race imo.
 
Old 07-27-2009, 01:32 PM
 
31 posts, read 31,881 times
Reputation: 19
you are crazy

think about this from the cops point of view for 1 minute

is the person breaking in going to be able to provide i.d.? no
did gates provide i.d.? no

what is the person breaking in going to do when confronted by the cops?
a. run
or
b. stay and pretend they are the owner of the house. which is a lie and to support that lie you may need to act above the officers and get yell at them or demean them

what did gates do

i want a blood test from gates.

yes its easier to get around cops when you work with them to resolve the issue but making them your ***** gets you locked up. gates is proof

did you miss the part where gates says "ill talk to your momma outside" to the officer?

gates made a complete fool of himself and the worst thing about it is that obama backed him and had to apologize when the facts came out.

the whole thing is over and the jury is in-gates is an idiot

now where is that blood test? cant open his door, goes on a rampage when asked for his i.d., yells at officers to the point they arrest him, and now he wants everyone to forget about it and move on. hhhmmmmm BLOOD TEST!!!!!
 
Old 07-27-2009, 02:14 PM
 
812 posts, read 2,081,674 times
Reputation: 467
if the police report is accurate to the truth, then this case is simple. it's obvious they both were wrong. mr. gates overreacted when the cop was just doing his job. he did not pick him out for profiling. someone had called there might be a burglary.

the cop overreacted by arresting him which was unnecessary. you don't arrest someone for cursing or yelling. you can arrest them for threatening stance, behavior or verbal threats. he was not chasing after the cop. he was just yelling because he was angry as the cop was leaving.

the thing is there are bad cops and cops who get off on a power trip, biased, racist and what have you. unfortunately, some of it can never be proven unless it was taped. it's understandable that he was offended treated like a criminal or suspiciously when he hadn't done anything wrong.
 
Old 07-27-2009, 02:46 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,505,414 times
Reputation: 3869
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Well I disagree that the professor was the one who made the entire scenario about race. Perhaps he made his interaction with the arresting officer about race. But again, I think a neighbor who initially suspects the homeowner, an 'unrecognized' black male, of breaking into his own home is as culpable of racial profiling as Mr. Gates is of "making it about race", so to speak.

I just dont think Mr. Gates initiated the racial undertone of the entire situation.
But here's the problem with your position: The neighbor who called the police said NOTHING about there being two BLACK men trying to break into the house. NOTHING.


This whole problem is completely and totally the fault of Gates. Period.
 
Old 07-27-2009, 02:48 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,505,414 times
Reputation: 3869
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Even five days after his arrest, Gates was spewing racial crap like this:

He may be book smart, but he needs some lessons in diplomacy.And look at all those "I" statements also. As if he was royalty, but he just comes across as an arrogant bastard. And how nice that he can afford to stay in pricey Martha's Vineyard during the summer months. This conflict is about class and not race imo.
Gates is repeatedly proving himself to be a racially bigoted, hate-filled man.

Keep talking professor. You're making a complete, total and utter fool of yourself!
 
Old 07-27-2009, 02:49 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,505,414 times
Reputation: 3869
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
if the police report is accurate to the truth, then this case is simple. it's obvious they both were wrong. mr. gates overreacted when the cop was just doing his job. he did not pick him out for profiling. someone had called there might be a burglary.

the cop overreacted by arresting him which was unnecessary. you don't arrest someone for cursing or yelling. you can arrest them for threatening stance, behavior or verbal threats. he was not chasing after the cop. he was just yelling because he was angry as the cop was leaving.


the thing is there are bad cops and cops who get off on a power trip, biased, racist and what have you. unfortunately, some of it can never be proven unless it was taped. it's understandable that he was offended treated like a criminal or suspiciously when he hadn't done anything wrong.
It's interesting that the Black cop who was at the scene, is 100% in agreement with Gates being arrested.


All this excuse-making for Gates' reprehensible behavior needs to stop.
 
Old 07-27-2009, 03:08 PM
 
3,424 posts, read 5,097,502 times
Reputation: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
But here's the problem with your position: The neighbor who called the police said NOTHING about there being two BLACK men trying to break into the house. NOTHING.
My position isnt positioned upon the caller's words. I realize the caller did not mention any black men. Thats a good thing, no doubt. However, because she placed the call on behalf of another concerned party/neighbor, I still dont/nor does anyone know the true motives behind the initial concern of the neighbor who requested that her friend call the police.

This is what I meant when I stated 'the initially concerned neighbor' -- meaning: not the neighbor who actually placed the call.

I wont speculate any further about the motives of the original concerned neighbor (not the caller heard in dispatch records). The original alarmed neighbor, possibly was or possibly wasnt basing request for someone to call the police, on the racial appearance of Mr. Gates. IMO unfortunately the released police tapes prove little if anything at all about why the original concerned neighbor became alarmed.

No one will know because there is no way of gauging her thought process. BUT, I do know that it is questionable how one could mistake their neighbor for an intruder. Nevertheless, as I stated previously, I think the whole situation has been overblown to begin with. From Mr. Gates antagonizing the policeman for what he perceived as racial profiling, to the police officer overeacting to a wayward elderly homeowner.
 
Old 07-27-2009, 03:13 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,505,414 times
Reputation: 3869
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
My position isnt positioned upon the caller's words. I realize the caller did not mention any black men. Thats a good thing, no doubt. However, because she placed the call on behalf of another concerned party/neighbor, I still dont/nor does anyone know the true motives behind the initial concern of the neighbor who requested that her friend call the police.

This is what I meant when I stated 'the initially concerned neighbor' -- meaning: not the neighbor who actually placed the call.

I wont speculate any further about the motives of the original concerned neighbor (not the caller heard in dispatch records). The original alarmed neighbor, possibly was or possibly wasnt basing request for someone to call the police, on the racial appearance of Mr. Gates.

No one will know because there is no way of gauging her thought process. BUT, I do know that it is questionable how one could mistake their neighbor for an intruder. Nevertheless, as I stated previously, I think the whole situation has been overblown to begin with. From Mr. Gates antagonizing the policeman for what he perceived as racial profiling, to the police officer overeacting to a wayward elderly homeowner.
58 years old is not elderly.

There is absolutely no indication that Officer Crowley over-reacted. In fact, the Black officer on the scene is in 100% agreement with Crowley arresting Gates.

Gates was out of control. He is obviously a raging racist that started in on a white officer, and he wouldn't shut up. He became irrational and got himself arrested.


Personally, I hope Officer Crowley sues the crap out of Gates. It's nothing less than what he deserves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top