U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2009, 07:50 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,990,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
What is interesting is that the caller who reported this incident did not mention that the two men were Black. She also mentioned that they had suitcases, not backpacks.

So, why did the police report state that the caller reported that the two men were Black and were wearing backpacks? There seems to be a discrepancy with the police officer and Gates, as well as with the police officer and the person who reported the incident. Very interesting.
Never mind. I found it. I wonder if the witness did tell Crowley that it was black men and is now denying it? At the time she spoke to Crowley she did know it was black men. She didn't say anything about black men in the initial call. I don't know. This is a he said, she said.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:56 AM

8,293 posts, read 22,453,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
Never mind. I found it. I wonder if the witness did tell Crowley that it was black men and is now denying it? At the time she spoke to Crowley she did know it was black men. She didn't say anything about black men in the initial call. I don't know. This is a he said, she said.
It would appear that the initial caller has altered her story a bit.

Either that or (gasp!!!!) the media didn't get their facts straight in the first place. Imagine that!

Old 07-28-2009, 08:02 AM

1,467 posts, read 1,880,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
I just tried to research this and found an article that said just what you say. That the police report indicated the original caller had mentioned these men were black and had back packs.

However, the link to the police report says no such thing. The police report the article linked to did not say the original caller mentioned blacks or back packs. Is there another police report? Did they link to the wrong one?

Can you find a link to a police report that says the original caller mentioned blacks and back packs?

Thanks,
Reelist, now you know that I am too busy to be searching for this stuff

http://www.amnation.com/vfr/Police%2...s%20arrest.PDF

This is CNN coverage of the 911 tape. The person who reported the incident also says that she never talked to Crowley at the scene.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/27/gat...est/index.html (broken link)

This is more than a "he said, she said." It is also a "he said, he said." Both Whalen and Gates dispute what's in the police report.

Last edited by davey123; 07-28-2009 at 08:16 AM..

Old 07-28-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
It would appear that the initial caller has altered her story a bit.

Either that or (gasp!!!!) the media didn't get their facts straight in the first place. Imagine that!
This is not the fault of the media, although I like blaming them for many things. The person who reported this incident has a lawyer. Her lawyer claims that the police report is inaccaurate in stating that Whalen talked to Crowley at the scene.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
This is not the fault of the media, although I like blaming them for many things. The person who reported this incident has a lawyer. Her lawyer claims that the police report is inaccaurate in stating that Whalen talked to Crowley at the scene.
I read the police report before it got pulled off the internet. It doesn't mention Crowley visiting with the caller, but that the caller was believed to have been in the area when the arrest was made - and that by that point, a small crowd of onlookers had gathered.

But isn't it odd that the caller has a lawyer? Why would that be? There have been two times in the last year or so that I've called the police for a crime that was in progress, and I've never had any need for a lawyer. Hmmm...

Old 07-28-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I read the police report before it got pulled off the internet. It doesn't mention Crowley visiting with the caller, but that the caller was believed to have been in the area when the arrest was made - and that by that point, a small crowd of onlookers had gathered.

But isn't it odd that the caller has a lawyer? Why would that be? There have been two times in the last year or so that I've called the police for a crime that was in progress, and I've never had any need for a lawyer. Hmmm...
She may feel that she needs a lawyer if the police report states something that she did not say. And, given how contentious this case has gotten, one never knows when a lawyer will be necessary. If you listen to the 911 tape, she definitely does not mention anything about Black men. So, I'm not sure where that came from. Of course, the police report states that it came from her.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:23 AM
miu

16,469 posts, read 33,412,913 times
Quote:
This is CNN coverage of the 911 tape. The person who reported the incident also says that she never talked to Crowley at the scene.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/27/gat...est/index.html (broken link)

This is more than a "he said, she said." It is also a "he said, he said." Both Whalen and Gates dispute what's in the police report.
The police department is still investigating the whole incident with a special panel. I think that the woman Crowley talked to at the scene is the elderly woman that encouraged Whalen to call 911.

Quote:
Caller: Umm, well there were two larger men, one looked kind of Hispanic, but Iím not really sure. And the other one entered, and I didnít see what he looked like at all. I just saw it from a distance, and this older woman was worried, thinking someoneís breaking in someoneís house. Theyíve been barging in, and she interrupted me, and thatís when I had noticed. Otherwise, I probably wouldnít have noticed it at all, to be honest with you. So I was just calling ícause she was a concerned neighbor, I guess....
And I feel sorry for Whalen as I'm sure right away, she was getting a lot of negative feedback from the public for calling 911, and some people were accusing her of racial profiling, when she wasn't. And it's a shame that because of what happened to her, some people will be less likely to call 911 when they see suspicious behaviour. Thanks Professor Gates. Thanks for helping the real criminals do their job in the future. What a pompous self centered ass he is!!!

Old 07-28-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
She may feel that she needs a lawyer if the police report states something that she did not say. And, given how contentious this case has gotten, one never knows when a lawyer will be necessary. If you listen to the 911 tape, she definitely does not mention anything about Black men. So, I'm not sure where that came from. Of course, the police report states that it came from her.
Not to be argumentative (a break from my norm), but I still don't know why she'd need a lawyer. Even if she had said she thought she saw two black men breaking into a house, she's not liable for anything.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Not to be argumentative (a break from my norm), but I still don't know why she'd need a lawyer. Even if she had said she thought she saw two black men breaking into a house, she's not liable for anything.
I agree. But again, if you listen to the 911 tape, she did not even say that. The police report states that she mentioned this at the scene. This is what she is disputing. She says that she never had this conversation with the officer. Clearly someone is not telling the truth. I would assume that her lawyer is there to contend that she is not the one who is not telling the truth.

Oh, I forgot one other thing. Given that some have been saying that there could have been a possible profiling with Whalen, maybe she feels that she has to come out to defend herself. You know how national this case has become

Old 07-28-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
I agree. But again, if you listen to the 911 tape, she did not even say that. The police report states that she mentioned this at the scene. This is what she is disputing. She says that she never had this conversation with the officer. Clearly someone is not telling the truth. I would assume that her lawyer is there to contend that she is not the one who is not telling the truth.
Could be.

Or it could be that the officer thought he was talking to the caller, at the scene, but it was somebody else.

Even so, what legal trouble is this lady in even if she had said - in the call to the police - that she thought the two men were black?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates