U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 04:34 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,992,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Are you serious? If a cop came up to me and gave me grief about getting into my own house even after showing him my ID I would be pissed off regardless what race he was.

I guess that makes me irrational
The 'cop' was not giving Mr. Gates grief. He was only trying to find out if there was anyone in the house who belonged there. Mr. Gates gave the cop grief well before he produced any ID. I think the rational thing would have been for Mr. Gates to promptly provide ID and then thank the cop for investigating the possible burglary of his home. So, yes, I am serious.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:19 AM
miu

16,503 posts, read 33,474,047 times
I like Colin Powell's take on the Gates incident.

Quote:
"When you're faced with an officer trying to do his job and get to the bottom of something, this is not the time to get in an argument with him," Powell told CNN's "Larry King Live."

"I was taught that as a child. You don't argue with a police officer."
Colin Powell on arrest of Prof. Henry Louis Gates: You don't argue with cops

Old 07-29-2009, 01:01 PM

44,664 posts, read 43,196,982 times
If I was a cop and a suspect was yelling at me I would sit there and ignore it, then laugh at them for acting like a fool. If they spit on my, hit me, or did anything else that qualifies as assault, then I would arrest the person, this goes for anyone, even a drunk.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:57 PM

13,292 posts, read 10,115,127 times
The root of the probelm seems to be perception. Mr Gates b/c of past experiences with racist(?) or power hungry police officers perceived the officer as fitting into one of the two categories. The Officer trying to do his job, and possibly a little thinned skinned overreacted by arresting Mr Gates. Obama should not have been involved in the first place, said what many blacks in this country was thinking (it's stupid). The officer's supervisor had no business trying to involk other police officers nationally to take up his cause. Personally, I feel that Mr Gates should not have overacted and gave the officer his ID in the first place and the officer should not have arrested him either.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:39 AM

2,880 posts, read 5,081,064 times
The suggestion of a beer-in was exactly Gates needed, Crowley needed and yes, Obama needed. All three ought to remember the PR genius in the White House who suggested it and lobbied to make it happen. He/She had better receive three nice stocking stuffers!!

I hope also that the country takes sometime out to reflect on our desperate need to chill out on matters of race. This was a situation that got way, way out of hand. Surely, we have progressed more than to make every black-white interface a matter of national policy? Yes, there are far more important things to worry about than blows to egos and name calling. People, this is not 1830. We seem to be manufacturing hatred where there is little to no cause as if we are making up for lost time! Ya Basta! We are better than that, are we not?

S.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:07 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,228,701 times
Exclamation VERY Well Said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
The suggestion of a beer-in was exactly Gates needed, Crowley needed and yes, Obama needed. All three ought to remember the PR genius in the White House who suggested it and lobbied to make it happen. He/She had better receive three nice stocking stuffers!!

I hope also that the country takes sometime out to reflect on our desperate need to chill out on matters of race. This was a situation that got way, way out of hand. Surely, we have progressed more than to make every black-white interface a matter of national policy? Yes, there are far more important things to worry about than blows to egos and name calling. People, this is not 1830. We seem to be manufacturing hatred where there is little to no cause as if we are making up for lost time! Ya Basta! We are better than that, are we not?

S.
Yes, Sandpointian, we ARE better than that! I still believe in my deepest heart that someday, race will no longer be a source of tension or angry conversation in America...one can only hope

Old 08-01-2009, 03:27 AM

31 posts, read 31,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
Yes, Sandpointian, we ARE better than that! I still believe in my deepest heart that someday, race will no longer be a source of tension or angry conversation in America...one can only hope

i hope soon. here is a new list of the black people i work with and their homicide problems

-1 white guy with adopted black kids-one of his kids was shot 5-7 times for his cell phone.
-my black female manager hit her baby daddy with a car
-my black female co worker's sister was the getaway driver in a bank robbery in which the sisters boyfriend was killed by police
-black female co worker's mom is in prison for murder
-black female co worker had 2 abortions and would have had another if it wasnt for the fact she could never have kids again. so she kept the 3rd one. she is 18!!! in her defense her boyfriend doesnt like to wear condoms.

i only work with 2 other black people besides the ones listed. and one of them seems to want to fight everyone. thats so insane!!!!!!!!

i produce rap music and i can literally see my chances of being shot, robbed or killed jump by 5% for every black person i work with. is being statistically accurate racist? how about the fact that to continue doing what i do in safety i am better off leaving town and going somewhere else.

on yahoo news type in 53213 for your local zip code and keep up with milwaukee news. there are 1-2 murders per week and several shootings and arsons and hit and run deaths and almost every bit of it is black on black. say poverty at 20-30% among blacks is the problem how then do you explain the other 60 murders? and the other 800 shootings? and the other 1500 robberies?

i really dont know what else to say

Old 08-01-2009, 03:33 AM

31 posts, read 31,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreak9 View Post
i hope soon. here is a new list of the black people i work with and their homicide problems

-1 white guy with adopted black kids-one of his kids was shot 5-7 times for his cell phone.
-my black female manager hit her baby daddy with a car
-my black female co worker's sister was the getaway driver in a bank robbery in which the sisters boyfriend was killed by police
-black female co worker's mom is in prison for murder
-black female co worker had 2 abortions and would have had another if it wasnt for the fact she could never have kids again. so she kept the 3rd one. she is 18!!! in her defense her boyfriend doesnt like to wear condoms.

i only work with 2 other black people besides the ones listed. and one of them seems to want to fight everyone. thats so insane!!!!!!!!

i produce rap music and i can literally see my chances of being shot, robbed or killed jump by 5% for every black person i work with. is being statistically accurate racist? how about the fact that to continue doing what i do in safety i am better off leaving town and going somewhere else.

on yahoo news type in 53213 for your local zip code and keep up with milwaukee news. there are 1-2 murders per week and several shootings and arsons and hit and run deaths and almost every bit of it is black on black. say poverty at 20-30% among blacks is the problem how then do you explain the other 60 murders? and the other 800 shootings? and the other 1500 robberies?

i really dont know what else to say

and when the article says "north side" or an address north west of 1st street address its black crime. milwaukee is that segregated. seriously

Old 08-01-2009, 07:54 AM

8,293 posts, read 22,490,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
The root of the probelm seems to be perception. Mr Gates b/c of past experiences with racist(?) or power hungry police officers perceived the officer as fitting into one of the two categories.
Wrong. The root of the problem is Gates. He is a racist. He is an arrogant hot-head with a big mouth he has no control over. He is an excuse maker.

Officer Crowley is obviously a MUCH better man than Gates, or there would already be multiple lawsuits against Gates.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:30 AM

2,880 posts, read 5,081,064 times
I see the Gate incident as one of class and social status than race.

Gates: academic star, income probably north of $400K (Harvard, plus all other goodies that come along with that), a man who like anyone else probably thinks that money and fame buys pure freedom, a guy in ultra liberal Cambridge where liberals bend over backwards in favor of anyone but the working class authority figures, and a man who probably thinks everyone should know who he is. Plus his in his 50s when the puzzles of the world seem so easy to solve.

Crowley. Young. Working class. Working class job. Deals with filth and scum everyday. A guy who knows that the presume wrong is to put you six feet under. A guy who does not read 02138, the Harvard alumni magazine. A guy who was called to investigate a possible break-in. A guy who does not equate his commands with a debate on semantics (we are a long way from Mayberry). A guy working at night when the hairs stand up on one's head and/or the adrenaline flows faster than normal.

Come on, everyone, how can anyone expect a smooth outcome??? Their encounter would have had to have come off perfectly for nothing to have happened.

No mention of race above. Were Gates White, I'll bet you my favorite gold sovereign that something similar to what transpired would still have happened.

It is not that I discount the possibility of race as a factor, but it is just that the influence of income and social status are far more pervasive than one might think.

Too bad. I am sure both are good people...
S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates