U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-01-2009, 08:34 AM

841 posts, read 1,096,700 times

Advertisements

In Washington DC 94% of the murders are commited by blacks or hispanics........and they complain about profiling???

Old 08-01-2009, 09:41 AM

481 posts, read 538,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
The 'cop' was not giving Mr. Gates grief. He was only trying to find out if there was anyone in the house who belonged there. Mr. Gates gave the cop grief well before he produced any ID. I think the rational thing would have been for Mr. Gates to promptly provide ID and then thank the cop for investigating the possible burglary of his home. So, yes, I am serious.
I agree with you. I was taught that whenever dealing with an officer or anyone in a power position liek that, it is best to comply and complain later. But, I also don't blame anyone else for not complying and quietly taking it. The truth is, the majority of non-Black males, including myself, don't know what it is like to deal with profiling the way Gates and the millions of other Black men (or just men of Color) do. Unless you have had that experience, it is very easy to say one shoudl act the way you would or you think you would.

The truth is racism in power positions such as police officers, is prevelant. It is not a surprise that an e-mail surfaces a few days later from a Boston police calling Gates a "jungle-monkey". And I know there a many many other police officers who feel the same way. And someone like Gates knows that. So if you know and have had experiences with cops like the one who wrote that e-mail, and they come and harrass you and question you for entering your own home, it is very understandable that you woudl be angry about it and question the motives of those who are questioning you.

Unless it is your reality, I don't think anyone can fully understand, and thus how can we say what we would or he should have done?

Old 08-01-2009, 09:48 AM

481 posts, read 538,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
In Washington DC 94% of the murders are commited by blacks or hispanics........and they complain about profiling???
Not sure where you got that number, but considering that according to the 2007 census, 62% of the population was non-White and most of those lived in poorer areas of DC, it is just statistical probability that the majority of murders will be committed by non-Whites. That's like saying the majority of people who commit crimes in Sweden are White and then making a judgement on White people, knowing that the majority of people in Sweden are White.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:56 AM

27,610 posts, read 22,969,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
Give me the source of your statistics. BTW, most of the people I see who are complaining about profiling aren't the ones committing the crimes. Why should ANYONE be profiled period?

Old 08-01-2009, 03:08 PM

716 posts, read 1,402,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
I agree with you. I was taught that whenever dealing with an officer or anyone in a power position liek that, it is best to comply and complain later. But, I also don't blame anyone else for not complying and quietly taking it. The truth is, the majority of non-Black males, including myself, don't know what it is like to deal with profiling the way Gates and the millions of other Black men (or just men of Color) do. Unless you have had that experience, it is very easy to say one shoudl act the way you would or you think you would.

The truth is racism in power positions such as police officers, is prevelant. It is not a surprise that an e-mail surfaces a few days later from a Boston police calling Gates a "jungle-monkey". And I know there a many many other police officers who feel the same way. And someone like Gates knows that. So if you know and have had experiences with cops like the one who wrote that e-mail, and they come and harrass you and question you for entering your own home, it is very understandable that you woudl be angry about it and question the motives of those who are questioning you.

Unless it is your reality, I don't think anyone can fully understand, and thus how can we say what we would or he should have done?

That makes a whole lot sense unlike the many idiot bigots in here who doesnt have an ounce of clue of what they are talking about. Best statement so far regarding issues such as these.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:45 PM

8,293 posts, read 14,506,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
That makes a whole lot sense unlike the many idiot bigots in here who doesnt have an ounce of clue of what they are talking about. Best statement so far regarding issues such as these.
You are probably the biggest idiot bigot on this thread - perhaps in this whole forum. I have yet to read anything from you that is not openly hateful, spiteful and racist. I pity the people who have to deal with you in real life.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:02 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,419,325 times
Quote:

Well, I agree with you too. Mr. Gates' reaction comes from his experience as a black man. Especially considering his age. He grew up in the 50's and 60's when this sort of thing was a lot worse than it is now.

I would think that you would also agree that the police reactions come form their experiences. They deal with criminals and low-lifes on a daily basis. They see first hand everyday who is commiting the crime and how the various races react when confronted for wrong doing.

The police have experiences too that influence their reactions.

- Reel

Old 08-02-2009, 05:10 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,419,325 times
Quote:
Not sure where you got that number, but considering that according to the 2007 census, 62% of the population was non-White and most of those lived in poorer areas of DC, it is just statistical probability that the majority of murders will be committed by non-Whites. That's like saying the majority of people who commit crimes in Sweden are White and then making a judgement on White people, knowing that the majority of people in Sweden are White.
Yes. Very true. However, nationwide blacks are about 12% of the popoulation and commit over 50% of the violent crime. That's about a 38 point difference.

In DC you say the black poplulation is about 60% and they commit 94% of the crime? That's a 34 point difference. So your point is valid. Blacks are doing better in DC by about 4 points.

- Reel

Old 08-02-2009, 11:50 AM

6,067 posts, read 5,267,137 times
Since the unemployment rate for blacks is twice that for whites, does that mean whites are lazier than blacks ?,because after all those are figures for people who are looking for work, If not then why would the number of blacks who are looking for work be twice that of whites ?

Old 08-02-2009, 11:51 AM

50,309 posts, read 47,680,035 times
you dont "buck" something you never had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.