Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 11:48 PM

8,282 posts, read 23,058,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Violence and socioeconomic status go hand in hand.
My debate is that it shouldn't be.

Quote:
The lower the income level, the higher the murder rate. Of course parents(those who are not on drugs themselves) teach their kids that their is more to life than the street life, but if you are 14 and your lights are constantly turned off, or you have no hot water, or adequate food, and people are selling drugs around you then its a stronger possibility that you are going to want the fast money. Teachers in the schools can combat that so much.
Agreed.

Quote:
Why? Because these kids may have to be the parent at home and then come to school and expect to be a child. The kid then drops out because he has to take care of his brothers and sisters at home. And being in school doesn't make you money. Drugs=violence. Its a perpetual cycle that continues.
This will sound harsh but at this point^ it's a matter of life and death for these kids. If I'm the older brother I take the other kids and either go to the police or try to get into a foster home and start all over. Kids cannot take care of drug additict parents and work and go to school all while living in the hood, you have to get out of that situation however you can.

Quote:
but money is the root of all evil.
disagree, the devil is the root of all evil.(a little humor)

Old 05-11-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
What I can do in my life is to live by my values and try to reach out to one person at a time.
Why one at a time? why not many more? I try to reach out whenever I can, even to homeless people but most don't want help but all we can do is keep trucking along.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:04 AM

932 posts, read 1,675,567 times
There is a mistrust of the police already from an early age. I was always taught that police were not to be trusted. My aunt's fiance was gunned down by police officers while hand-cuffed in the back of a police car. 72 times. I was very young at this time. So yea I don't know too many kids that want to go to the police even when in dire situations.

Also, helping out one is easier than helping out a group. It only takes one to be an example for his or her friends. I have 8 kids on my caseload. all of them are not going to listen and follow my path because they are having issues at home. Giving money isn't going to help. Building solid, stable relationships, and providing examples are best.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:05 AM

932 posts, read 1,675,567 times
You assumptions are from the outside looking in. I am pretty sure that if you spent time in an inner city school and talked with these kids then you will get a better understanding.

Im off to study for my Blacks in Pshycology final tomorrow. Have a good night.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
I am pretty sure that if you spent time in an inner city school and talked with these kids then you will get a better understanding.
I went to school in the inner city of Milwaukee. I do understand. Here is a news link about the most recent killing in my neighborhood which is half a block from the school I went to and four house from the house I used to live in and where my grandmother still lives.

Man, 22, dies after being shot in face - JSOnline

Old 05-12-2009, 06:26 AM

365 posts, read 1,184,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post

So if Asians were brought here by the white man to build the railroads and Hispanics immigrated here and blacks were brought here by slavery and all three ethnicity's started from the bottom why haven't Asians fallen into the "trap"....
Here is the fundemental flaw with your arguement.
How many Asians in America are the decendants of the railroad workers?
Most are more recent immigrants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgadams View Post
Blacks and Hispanics are more likely to commit crimes than Eastern and Southern Asians. This is a fact and to those of you who say "All races commit crime! Stop being racist!", you are only preventing the problem from being acknowledged and solved.

Here are some statistics to prove how much more prone to crime Hispanics and Blacks are compared to whites and Asians. I posted this in another forum comparing Canada's and America's immigration systems.

49.97% of Toronto's population is foreign born.
59% of Miami is foreign born.
Miami's homicide rate is 19.6 per 100,000.
Toronto's homicide rate is 3.3 per 100,000!

There were 84 murders in Toronto (a city of 2.5 million) compared to 77 murders in Miami (a city of roughly 400,000).

Lets take a look at Census data for Toronto and Miami!

Toronto:

When adding up the East Asian groups, they make up 13.3% of Toronto's population. Southern Asians (the vast majority of which are Indians) make up 12% of the population. Southeast Asian groups make up another 5.6% of the population.

Essentially, Toronto's immigrant population is composed of mostly Southern and Eastern Asians.

Miami:

In miami, 66% of the population is of Hispanic origin (mostly Cuban). The city also has a very large Haitian community, but the census doesn't give reference to its exact numbers.

When linking the census data to the crime statistics in the post above, I do firmly believe that Asians are less likely to commit crime than Blacks or Hispanics.

Clearly, immigrants from China, India, Korea, and Taiwan cause less crime than immigrants from Latin America and the Caribbean. If more proof of this needs to be shown, it can be provided quite easily.

Statistic references:

Crime in Toronto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
TheStar.com | GTA | A city of unmatched diversity
BBC NEWS | Americas | Miami tops 'foreign-born' cities

Demographics of Toronto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Miami city, Florida - DP-1. Profile of General Demographic Characteristics:**2000

Wow. Way to spin some statistics...
I live in Toronto and I can tell you Asians commit crimes too.
The most violent year for homicides on record in the early 1990's was largely the result of the body count racked up between Asians (Chinese and Vietnamese) gangsters.
Most home invasions in Toronto are conducted by Asian gangs. The booming marijuana grow-op operations in this city are largely Asian.
Every race and ethnicity has its share of knuckleheads. Poverty and disenfranchisement just exacerbate the problem.

Last edited by Yac; 05-22-2009 at 07:34 AM..

Old 05-12-2009, 06:43 AM

943 posts, read 3,156,062 times
People who are losing an argument will always bring up extreme unusual occurances and state it as fact. Sure there are some bad Asians and some of them are lazy, shiftless, angry, and criminal. But I agree with the original poster that as a percentage of their population and in general, most Asians are very impressive and are far less likely to commit crimes and have the social problems common among Blacks and Hispanics.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:44 AM

814 posts, read 2,304,415 times
there are some misconceptions about asian immigrants on this thread. most asian immigrants are not wealthy or the cream of the crop. they immigrate looking for a better life and opportunity. they are the regular working class, they usually have humble businesses or work in humble positions but their children usually succeed beyond them. well, that's what most parent are trying to do. look at most asian mom and pop businesses such as takeouts, laundromats and restaurants; they are usually recent immigrants and are not wealthy. this is different than some exchange students but that can be said of any exchange student, some are rich and some are not.

i know this because of not only my family but others since ethnic groups seek out others similar for understanding.

there are some asians that are wealthy and recent immigrants but usually they are on business or vacation.

the biggest misconception is that the greater number of american asians are the wealthiest and they are not. they are usually overseas.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:13 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,837,322 times
Personally, I believe that once the problem of out of wedlock birth is solved in the black community then things will really turn around.
No society can prosper when over 70% of it's children are born out of wedlock. It is the surest way to poverty that exists.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:21 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,631,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Personally, I believe that once the problem of out of wedlock birth is solved in the black community then things will really turn around.
No society can prosper when over 70% of it's children are born out of wedlock. It is the surest way to poverty that exists.
This brings up a VERY important point, but one that most people are unwilling to address.

We cannot ignore the issue of how women are treated in different cultural and racial areas. If they are little more than baby machines, to be bred and abandoned, you're going to have serious multi-generational problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.