Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2009, 09:12 AM

481 posts, read 942,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Both the connotative and denotative definitions of lynching include HANGING.

If you're going to intentionally broaden the definition beyond that, any and everything goes.

People need to stop being intentionally inflammatory, and start being honest.
I got the definition from an actual dictionary. It's not intentioally broadened, it's written word for word. Mayeb the lettering in your dictionary are too small for you to read, but that's the definition according to Webster 2008.

And you sir are not allowed to lecture anyone here on inflammatory posts after the stuff you have said to me and others. It's way too late for you to be holier then thou, now.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:16 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
this IMO is becoming a debate of semantics...here is the definition, that I found, for the word lynch:

to lynch: To execute without a proper legal trial, especially by hanging; To commit an act of violence by a mob upon the body of another person..

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Lynch

the phrase 'especially by hanging' is only used as a modifyer to the rest of the sentence...it is not included in the core of the definition or the definition would read: 'To HANG without a proper legal trial'

to lynch: kill without legal sanction;

wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

lynching: The general meaning is an execution by a mob. It is most often associated with the ritual murder of Blacks, especially by hanging, to maintain ...

www.metropostcard.com/glossaryl.html

Again, hanging is not specified as a requisite for the act to be considered a lynching.
Nice attempt at dodging the obvious.

Everyone knows that, when anything racial is being discussed, the word "lynching" both connotes and denotes a mob hanging. Further images of a black man being lynched at night, surrounded by KKK members, play on the emotions of people - to the point where all focus is removed from what might have actually been a crime committed by a criminal.

People who use "lynching" to describe anything done to Blacks are not honest. It is intentionally inflammatory and dishonest.

Again, Emmitt Till was NOT lynched. Period.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:18 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I am not trying to compare IQ's. What I am trying to say is that you can't always take statistics for what they are. Sometimes you have to find the reasons behind them. I think from a conflict-resources view. I think the only reasons IQ tests were ever used was to place people in certain "boxes" deeming one person as not as smart as another. Many people used these "IQ scores" as an excuses to enslave people, deny them their rights, and in short, treat them like crap. I ask "which persons in an ethnic group are being tested, what kind of questions are being asked(because many things are not standard throughout the world, how biased are the tests?, etc", questions like that. You have to look deeper. Maybe the reason the IQ scores in SubSaharan Africa are lower than you would find in Japan is because Japan had a better opportunity to develop its educational system than Africa. Perhaps it was certain questions asked. My point is you have to question these things.
I would also ask who invented and invented the accepted STANDARD for the IQ test. As well as who conducts them.

That doesnt mean that all scores are negated. As much as it means that when the causes of those scores are evaluated (as we are doing right now), that extraneous factors be also taken into consideration by those who choose to acknowledge them.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
I got the definition from an actual dictionary. It's not intentioally broadened, it's written word for word. Mayeb the lettering in your dictionary are too small for you to read, but that's the definition according to Webster 2008.

And you sir are not allowed to lecture anyone here on inflammatory posts after the stuff you have said to me and others. It's way too late for you to be holier then thou, now.
EVERY definition of "lynching" will include "hanging".

You can dodge it if you want, but you - like Solytaire - are intentionally being inflammatory and dishonest in your use of the word.

It's dishonest, and you know it. But that is hardly surprising. After all, anything used to blame Whites for all the problems in the history of the world, is perfectly acceptable to you.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:25 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,527 times
Quote:
Nice attempt at dodging the obvious.

Everyone knows that, when anything racial is being discussed, the word "lynching" both connotes and denotes a mob hanging. Further images of a black man being lynched at night, surrounded by KKK members, play on the emotions of people - to the point where all focus is removed from what might have actually been a crime committed by a criminal.

People who use "lynching" to describe anything done to Blacks are not honest. It is intentionally inflammatory and dishonest.

Again, Emmitt Till was NOT lynched. Period.
Nice attempt at pigeon holing the word into a definition that is not even given (hanging), in order to skirt the obvious: That Emmitt Till and several other blacks WERE LYNCHED.

Take it how you want though...lol..Im not going thru this again...none of the definitions that I personally found by just googling the word "lynch" or "lynching" implied that lynching applied only to instances of hanging.

To avoid the impending disrespectful exchange between us, I agree to accept the definition of the word that I found, and you can accept your definition...

Old 07-18-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Nice attempt at pigeon holing the word into a definition that is not even given (hanging), in order to skirt the obvious: That Emmitt Till and several other blacks WERE LYNCHED.

Take it how you want though...lol..Im not going thru this again...none of the definitions that I personally found by just googling the word "lynch" or "lynching" implied that lynching applied only to instances of hanging.

To avoid the impending disrespectful exchange between us, I agree to accept the definition of the word that I found, and you can accept your definition...
Emmitt Till was not lynched, regardless of how many times you repeat the lie. He was beaten to death. That is not lynching.

But don't despair, Emmitt Till was (unless all evidence was incorrect) a black boy that was beaten to death by white men - so you can still sit smugly on your claim that it was racially motivated (something nobody has ever denied).

In fact, it goes without saying that every black person killed in the United States was somehow - in some way - killed by a White person. There HAS to be a connection in there somehow. It might be a Black teen that was drunk and crashed his crotch-rocket. If he was killed it was somehow the fault of a White person. Maybe a White person sold him the motorcycle - or the whiskey. But it was inevitably the fault of Whites. In fact, it was undoubtedly a "lynching"!!!!!

Old 07-18-2009, 09:34 AM

It's very interesting that all but one of your links (and that one is NOT a dictionary) include the words, "BY HANGING" in the definition.

I am right. Again.

And your relentless and repeated attempts to change the definition of "lynching" only prove your racially inflammatory intentions in using the word.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:40 AM

481 posts, read 942,913 times
Quote:
It's very interesting that all but one of your links (and that one is NOT a dictionary) include the words, "BY HANGING" in the definition.

I am right. Again.

And your relentless and repeated attempts to change the definition of "lynching" only prove your racially inflammatory intentions in using the word.
Actually 2 don't include hanging and all of them are exactly what I typed but add "especially by hanging".

In a definintion, the especially boys and girls means, not necessarily but it is common. I know it's been a loooooooooong time since you were in school, but you might want to study up on how to read a definition before you make yourself sound like a complete a$$.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
Actually 2 don't include hanging and all of them are exactly what I typed but add "especially by hanging".

In a definintion, the especially boys and girls means, not necessarily but it is common. I know it's been a loooooooooong time since you were in school, but you might want to study up on how to read a definition before you make yourself sound like a complete a$$.
If I were to make a complete a$$ of myself, I would simply be closer to what you have done. And I have no reason to do that, so I'll let you continue to spin out of control - trying to convince yourself against all evidence, that the word "lynching" does NOT imply, connote and denote HANGING. Three of the four definitions (the ones actually from dictionaries) include the words "by hanging". YOU provided them, not me! LOL!!!!!

The imbecility of it all is amazing!

And your flagrant racial hatred is equally amazing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates