Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2009, 10:14 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Thanks Supermanpansy...one last thing that I think needs to change is the media coverage of race relations. That is something that I believe mostly non minorities DO control for now. For the media to go on a wild goose chase and sensationalize every single racial discrepancy only incenses racial tension and it actually trivializes true instances of racial injustice. It is also a conduit for reinforcing the insular mentalities of people who think: "See there, there go those _______ being racist again"...or "Gosh there those ______ go crying about 'racism' again for nothing."

The media, I think, is doing a tremendous disservice to the advancement of race relations by sensationalizing each incident which may or may not even have racial undertones. Giving continuous exposure to demagogues and selfish 'leaders' only inflames existing unrest, desensitizes people and elicits a false perception of the true feelings of the races in this country.
I agree wholeheartedly. I think somethings wrong with the media today. Why dont we do shows on middle class to poor peoples lives? We put out these unacheivable lifestyles that only the rich live and in turn people strive for material things in which they cannot afford. We celebrate "out of control" so called celebrities by giving them more attention. We are telling young minds that if you act crazy, ignorant,stupidly, selfish, and on and on you will somehow be rewarded.

I think we need a better justice system. Most in prison are there for non-violent crimes. Why not give those people substance abuse programs to help with the problem that led them there. Many problems in the community (especially the black community) is that John Doe goes to jail for twenty years for carrying a small quantity of rock cocaine. The system is systematically corrupt, and has been for quite some time. Although it's now getting better. We had at least 2 to 2 and a half decades of outrageous incarceration stints for many inner city blacks as well as many latinos and some whites who sold cocaine. I believe this helped to break down the family bonds within a good part of the community especially the black and latino community.

Thank god we are starting to see that the 'so called Rockafellar laws' were unjust and very bias. We need to educate more whites about the black community to lessen the stigma that some hold. Most people don't fear what they understand. Let's while we are at it include better education of all cultures.

America is no longer "white America", so let's begin to treat it that way. Let's clean up our neighborhoods and individually teach our children to appreciate a clean neighborhood. These little things will go a long way in teaching respect for ones self.

While we are at it, lets educate white people more about why black people struggle to move on. As well as teach black people more positive methods in self improvement towards letting go of the past.

It seems that we are far from this, and maybe we never will achieve this. One thing that always seems to tug at me, is that it seems that people in general will always somehow find ways to hate another ethnicity. From the dawn of time there have been tribes out to destroy and control other tribes. Which leads me to ask, is it in our blood as human beings? After all look at how many die in the name of religion?

Now that was long and I know it, sorry city-data'

Again, solytaire, you make good points and I like to see those who are looking for solutions rather than staying in the problem.

Take care,

Last edited by supermanpansy; 07-25-2009 at 10:48 PM..

Old 07-26-2009, 03:29 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,298,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post

Try for a second to take race out of the scenario. Pretend all parties involved were white.

Now: person sees you trying to get into your house, and calls the cops you one. A rational person would be peeved at this situation.
No, you are about as wrong as you can be. A rational person would understand that the police were there to look after their property. A rational person would thank the police profusely for doing so. A rational person would subsequently feel much better about the police, their safety and the safety of their property.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:07 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
No, you are about as wrong as you can be. A rational person would understand that the police were there to look after their property. A rational person would thank the police profusely for doing so. A rational person would subsequently feel much better about the police, their safety and the safety of their property.
Right.

Would Gates have wanted the police to ignore the call of a suspected break-in at his house? You better believe he'd have been screaming racial profiling about that!

The police were simply responding to a call. Gates went nuts, pulled out the race card, and started to upbraid the officer. Then, when he wouldn't shut up and calm down, he got arrested.

Incidentally, the black officer at the scene is in 100% support of the actions taken by Officer Crowley - something our local black apologists are having a hard time explaining away.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:04 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Thanks Supermanpansy...one last thing that I think needs to change is the media coverage of race relations. That is something that I believe mostly non minorities DO control for now. For the media to go on a wild goose chase and sensationalize every single racial discrepancy only incenses racial tension and it actually trivializes true instances of racial injustice. It is also a conduit for reinforcing the insular mentalities of people who think: "See there, there go those _______ being racist again"...or "Gosh there those ______ go crying about 'racism' again for nothing."

The media, I think, is doing a tremendous disservice to the advancement of race relations by sensationalizing each incident which may or may not even have racial undertones. Giving continuous exposure to demagogues and selfish 'leaders' only inflames existing unrest, desensitizes people and elicits a false perception of the true feelings of the races in this country.
However, in the Gates case, it's the professor that tried to make it about race, and even yesterday when he agreed to join Obama and Crowley for a beer at the White House, he STILL was making this mess about race.

The media had nothing at all to do with the Gates case being twisted to be about racial profiling. Blame the black professor for this one.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:08 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
From what I read, they have two conflicting stories. The moment I read Gates's comment, "Why are you not responding to me? Are you not responding to me because you are a white officer and I am a black man?", he lost. And those credentials and accomplishments and not an ounce of common sense.

If this is all true, of course.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:16 AM
miu

The woman calling 911 was not a racist. Gates seems to be the only person thinking that race was involved.

Cambridge PD: Race not mentioned in 911 call - Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/07/27/cambridge_pd_race_not_mentioned_in_911_call/ - broken link)

Quote:
Cambridge's police commissioner says the 911 caller who reported a possible break-in at the home of black Harvard scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. did not mention race during the call.
Quote:
Attorney Wendy Murphy said Whalen -- who has not spoken publicly -- only saw the backs of two men on Gates' porch and did not know their race. Murphy said Whalen was aware of recent break-ins in the area.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:21 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
The woman calling 911 was not a racist. Gates seems to be the only person thinking that race was involved.

Cambridge PD: Race not mentioned in 911 call - Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/07/27/cambridge_pd_race_not_mentioned_in_911_call/ - broken link)
So it's looking more and more like the ONLY people who made this whole thing about race were Gates & Obama.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:22 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,527 times
Quote:
However, in the Gates case, it's the professor that tried to make it about race, and even yesterday when he agreed to join Obama and Crowley for a beer at the White House, he STILL was making this mess about race.

The media had nothing at all to do with the Gates case being twisted to be about racial profiling. Blame the black professor for this one.
Well I disagree that the professor was the one who made the entire scenario about race. Perhaps he made his interaction with the arresting officer about race. But again, I think a neighbor who initially suspects the homeowner, an 'unrecognized' black male, of breaking into his own home is as culpable of racial profiling as Mr. Gates is of "making it about race", so to speak.

I just dont think Mr. Gates initiated the racial undertone of the entire situation.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:29 AM
miu

Quote:
Well I disagree that the professor was the one who made the entire scenario about race. Perhaps he made his interaction with the arresting officer about race. But again, I think a neighbor who initially suspects the homeowner, an 'unrecognized' black male, of breaking into his own home is as culpable of racial profiling as Mr. Gates is of "making it about race", so to speak.

I just dont think Mr. Gates initiated the racial undertone of the entire situation.
Didn't you even read what I posted? She didn't know that the guys breaking into the house were black! She just saw the backs of the two men (with his cab driver) at the front door.

Gates began his tirade with his being black, and even two days ago, is still making this incident about race. And Gates is still clinging to his tattered old race card.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:58 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,527 times
Quote:
Didn't you even read what I posted? She didn't know that the guys breaking into the house were black! She just saw the backs of the two men (with his cab driver) at the front door.

Gates began his tirade with his being black, and even two days ago, is still making this incident about race. And Gates is still clinging to his tattered old race card.

I read what you posted. No problems here comprehending. But just because you posted it doesnt mean I agree with it. I disagree with your opinion that Mr. Gates was the only person with racial motivations in the situation. He may have been the only one who verbally placed a racial connotation to the situation. But it doesnt mean he is the only person who used race as the backdrop for the entire situation.

I do not understand how and will not accept that speaking disrespectfully towards police warrants an arrest in one's own home. If Mr. Gates is playing the race card here, the policeman sure placed it in the deck by unduly arresting him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates