U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 12:50 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,064,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
No, I don't believe in 2012 - it's not a fixed date, and dependent upon many factors. But unless the U.S.A. cuts consumption of fossil fuels, it's not far off.

(snipped; good post though. worth re-reading!)

Ergo, if the U.S. bought ALL of that reserve, it would last 267 months (22 years).
2 years to exhaust U.S. reserves, if we do nothing.
11 years to exhaust U.S. domestic supply, by drilling everything.
22 years to exhaust Saudi supply.

Options:
  • do nothing, collapse in 5 years.
  • drill, baby drill, collapse in 11 years.
  • convert to higher efficiency 6 stroke engines, collapse in 11 years.
  • convert to hybrids, collapse in 9 years.
  • fight over dwindling oil supplies, collapse.
  • tax fossil fuels, attempt to transition to solar, collapse.
  • transition to coal economy, poison everything, run out in 50 years, collapse.
  • build rails, switch to electric trains, tax fossil fuels, go "Green", still not enough power, collapse.
  • build ring villages, go renewable, fight over the scraps, and collapse.
D'Oh... Expletive Deleted!
Seems to me we need (and soon...) a small-community agrarian-based reorganization. A total North American (Mexico, Canada & The US) population of 150 million, well distributed. Total world population, with sufficient work & sustainable resources for everyone: 2 billion. Fundamental dismantling or reorganization of the big cities and their resource-gobbling habits that ignore the outside world as well as their insidious, arrogant and ignorant part in it's destruction.

The LA Basin:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flissphil/44288166/ (broken link)

Likelihood: ZERO.

BTW, I did a lot of the environmental impact assessment for a mega-coal mine project some years back, and we got into the details of the real reserves in the nearby Alberta Tar Sands, which Canada touts as the saving grace for hundreds of years.

The extraction of those reserves is a net-minus operation, costing measurably MORE to provide the infrastructure, the extraction systems, the pre-refining, the pipelining and the end-refining. All to feed the appetities for out F350 diesel trucks (Hey; I have one myself, bought and lovingly maintained since 1996 when none of this was an issue... It gets about 20mpg on the highway if I remain sane).

But... during the recent Memorial Day holiday, the local Interstate-exit gas station was bumper to bumper with those macro Crew-Cab trucks with fuel-economy sucking uber-tires and aerodynamically parasitic lift kits, towing big drag boats with 502 CID blown motors in them (≈ 2 mpg on the water tops?). Plus lots of beer, chips and salsa on board, but sun screen forgotten at home.

We haven't learned anything yet, and Obama promises "recovery". To what again?

Rush Limbaugh's and others' brainless "Vast Petroleum Reserves" is a very (purposefully?) misleading phrase! It seems that the donkey will need to be wacked with an oak 4X4 (it used to only take a pine 2X4, but we're waaayyyy dumber now...).

WACK. (get it?) WACKWACK (get it??)

Your overall scenario and prediction, jetgraphics? Right on. Brace yourselves!

Last edited by rifleman; 06-01-2009 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: re-org, typoz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 01:11 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,716,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Seems . during the recent Memorial Day holiday, the local Interstate-exit gas station was bumper to bumper with those macro Crew-Cab trucks with fuel-economy sucking uber-tires and aerodynamically parasitic lift kits, towing big drag boats with 502 CID blown motors in them (≈ 2 mpg on the water tops?). Plus lots of beer, chips and salsa on board, but sun screen forgotten at home
Sounds like fun...Next time you go out, can I go with? I'll pay for the gas and buy the beer!

Old 06-01-2009, 03:17 PM

10,336 posts, read 9,982,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Seems to me we need (and soon...) a small-community agrarian-based reorganization.
You know, I could actually go for a small-community agrarian-based reorganization...

Unfortunately, unless something radically changes, that ain't going to happen. The structure of our nation is not conducive to such a lifestyle. Such a populace would not provide enough revenue for the elite. Besides, such an existence is just not entertaining enough for most folks. And life is supposed to be like a big video game, isn't it?

Old 06-01-2009, 03:56 PM

11,633 posts, read 17,044,904 times
The world will end when a black hole swallow earth.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:06 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,716,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
life is supposed to be like a big video game, isn't it?
Life is fun. It really is! I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do!.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:14 PM

12,900 posts, read 18,450,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBradley View Post
Do you believe December 21, 2012 will be the end of the world?
Saint Malachi predicted it
as did Nostradamus (sometime shortly after the year 2000)
and the Mayan Calendar stops on December 21, 2012.
What do you think??
There is no end, only new beginings. Peace and good will be with you my space brothers....

Old 06-01-2009, 04:27 PM

8,746 posts, read 7,510,567 times
Do I believe in the 2012 apocalypse? NO.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:34 PM

13,116 posts, read 9,205,456 times
Quote:
You know, I could actually go for a small-community agrarian-based reorganization...

Unfortunately, unless something radically changes, that ain't going to happen. The structure of our nation is not conducive to such a lifestyle. Such a populace would not provide enough revenue for the elite. Besides, such an existence is just not entertaining enough for most folks. And life is supposed to be like a big video game, isn't it?
In case small-community agrarian-based reorganization does occur, you might select to relocate where there is access to either a navigable waterway or mainline railroad track still in operation. Also favorable - any area served by hydroelectric power.

Such places will intrinsic economic advantages - being able to weather the transition at lower cost.

FWIW - the "elite", whose wealth is derived from usury, might be already seeking refuges in those agrarian - based communities. Because after the other shoe falls, usurers may be unpopular with the survivors. I hear Montana has become the "IN" place for emigrants from SoCal.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:55 PM

10,336 posts, read 9,982,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Life is fun. It really is! I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do!.
Oh, I do. I just think we get rather frighteningly short-sighted at times.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:03 AM

13,116 posts, read 9,205,456 times
Quote:
Oh, I do. I just think we get rather frighteningly short-sighted at times.
[] BINGO!
It appears that most decision makers, in private and public power, look for short term solutions, short term profits, and the long term is left to flounder.

We had an inkling of the problems, in the 1973 oil embargo, when we were importing 35% of our consumption. And yet after millions of dollars spent by the Department of Energy (allegedly formed to cut our dependence on foreign oil), we now import 70% of our consumption.

God help us if government creates any new agencies to "tackle THE problem".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates