U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 01:11 PM

3,566 posts, read 4,612,571 times

Advertisements

Once upon a time, not very long ago and not very far away, I was nice to telemarketers. I was polite because I know it is a job. Then came the robo calls. Not just one or two, but a gazillion of them. I registered on the no call list. I have spent at least 3 years cringing every time the phone rings.
I have pressed the other options to remove me from the call list. Yet, they continue.

2 weeks ago, I began picking up the phone and getting them on the line so that I could speak with them directly to remove me. It was at that time, that I began to think........no wonder call centers have been sent over seas. These are the rudest people that I have ever heard.

I received 4 calls this morning from the extended warranty car centers.
So, I started researching my "missed" calls. As this decides whether complaints are Federal or Not. Maryland, New Jersey, California, Illinois, Florida, Virginia. Further, the numbers on your caller ID are not legit numbers. Caller ID Spoofing. Caller ID spoofing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do not know how that works, so my first question is, What does it take to catch them? Will any laws have indirect consequences to a legit business and is it worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 01:29 PM

7,090 posts, read 10,743,656 times
The car warranty people are scammers anyways, and they are about to get *****slapped by a few AG's.

Annoy The Powerful: Car Warranty Robot Calls Senator During Meeting On Capitol Hill

If you can track them down you can sue them...but they are already violating laws just spoofing, let alone the BBB complaints, violations of the Do Not Call list, deceptive advertising, and various others. Don't expect them to advertise their location when the law's after them.

My personal opinion is take them and the Nigerian scammers, for at least part of their prison sentence, outside and line them up on the street so people can throw rotten meat on them.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:54 PM

I read an article this morning about Shumer, and I was thinking, perhaps, there was a financial impact on a legit business that I'm not recognizing. Originally, I was searching under "scrambling phone numbers" and I hit this blog. Caller-ID Spoofing

It was from that I figured out that the correct terminology was caller id spoofing. That search brought up Wikipedia and listed legit reasoning. But that article sounds more like its not about legit reasoning its about they can't catch them.

I am at the point that I am dreaming of the vile things that I will say with the next phone call. I have to get it in, before they do.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:51 AM

7,090 posts, read 10,743,656 times
It only makes sense for call centers to push out their main customer service number rather then just that extension. However often lobbyists generalize it in legal sessions that making any part of it a no no would mean taking away the legitimate reasons for doing it.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:54 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,063,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post

My personal opinion is take them and the Nigerian scammers, for at least part of their prison sentence, outside and line them up on the street so people can throw rotten meat on them.
Nigerian scammers are not breaking any laws in the jurisdiction in which they operate. American telemarketers are. Does that count as a relevant distinction? The Nigerians might be violating TOS on the sites they use, but they are not criminals. They are just working stiffs, trying to make a living working in a call center.

There are two reasons why the Do Not Call list is a farce. First of all, it is virtually impossible to identify a caller's source if he chooses not to reveal it upon request. Second, if you wish to press criminal charges against a DoNotCall violator, the onus is on you to gather and present sufficient compelling evidence for a prosecution. As they should be, they are presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt in a trial by their peers.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:01 AM

41,505 posts, read 51,257,609 times
Junk door to door salesmen, Junk mail, now junk phone calls. What is next, junk telepathy?

Old 05-13-2009, 09:16 AM

15,202 posts, read 18,219,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Junk door to door salesmen, Junk mail, now junk phone calls. What is next, junk telepathy?
Text message spam. It's already started... I got one as recently as yesterday.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
It only makes sense for call centers to push out their main customer service number rather then just that extension. However often lobbyists generalize it in legal sessions that making any part of it a no no would mean taking away the legitimate reasons for doing it.

I expect that when it starts hitting ligit business' and enough of them get nailed then something will be done.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:25 PM

10,425 posts, read 44,568,380 times
I do not agree that the over seas call centers have rude people. At least not in India. I do not pick up those out of area numbers but always google them so I know where they came from. But when I have to call for the never ending problems with my accts, those calls always go to India.

I get very very abusive with them. I say things their little virgin ears have never heard and tell them things about their mother they never knew. They will always remain polite and yes sir you to the end. There is nothing you can say or do to pizz them off. For that I give them credit due.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:55 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,242,740 times
These calls are the product of a consumer crazy society, it's like the web, over run with commercial interests, shouting at the margins, darkening your screen to sell you something, and now I hear voices on my PC telling me I need to get so and so insurance, or whatever they are selling. I guess when were all broke these machines will be going on and on, into infinity, obscene messengers, the last voices on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates