U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 03:22 AM

432 posts, read 1,406,490 times

Advertisements

I don't know about you,even though I was lucky to be born,since your parents could have someone else besides you.

Maybe,everybody on Earth have a reason just because we here were lucky to be born.

The thing is that I sometimes do hope that I wasn't born because of what happen to me in the past and the issues that I have in the present.

If you weren't born,then you wouldn't know anything,therefore no pain.

A mom's womb was heaven.

What do you think?

Note:I know that I was the one posted about living forever if you can,but if there wasn't any abuse or anything negative besides having goals set for you.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:04 AM

458 posts, read 1,136,823 times
Pain is part of life, it is an emotion, without pain you can not experience joy. If you have never felt pain how would you know what joy is? Everyone has gone through a lot of things in their life, painful, hurtful things. There is no meter to measure who had more pain. Because everyone has a different tolerance.

I think for someone to feel or wish they were never born means they feel their life has no purpose. Not meaning to find a cure or save the planet type purpose, but just any purpose. Or they have no joy.

I think everyone has a choice to live a better life if they do not like the one they are living, but many people lack motivation, will power, courage or knowledge.

Maybe I am not explaining myself well enough. Bottom line I am glad I was born, even after all the pain I have felt in the past as well, because of my past it helped form my future, and I like the way it looks.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:12 AM

5,230 posts, read 7,322,321 times
Yep I sure am. Never could understand how people would hate it. Life is for living!

Old 05-13-2009, 07:54 AM

3,486 posts, read 4,940,037 times
People have a very powerful instinct of self-preservation and survival, which generates our innate happiness about being alive. It's an evolutionary trait; it's what assures that we take care of ourselves long enough to reproduce. So barring profound emotional disturbance, most people will answer that they are happy to be alive -- they simply cannot help it, anymore than they can help being hungry, wanting to go to the bathroom, etc.

It's not easy to turn off this very powerful biological imperative and look at one's life in the abstract to decide whether it would have been better not to have been born. This is further complicated by the fact that we don't know what the alternative to being born is. Is it total oblivion? Is it life in some kind of alternative reality? Are our essences, souls if you will, eternal and do they predate our births? If I was asked "Do you want to be born or no" before I existed, would my thoughts still be shaped by this overpowering biological drive to be alive, or would I be free to think more coolly and clearly? I don't know the answers to these questions, and neither does anyone else. For what it's worth, most people's lives, even in the industrialized world, are incredibly hard and fraught with problems and suffering; most people inevitably age and die slowly and painfully. If we were to shed our biological instincts for a moment, and if terminating our lives was as easy as flipping a switch, I think the number of people willing to go that route would be surprisingly great.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:43 AM

7,091 posts, read 10,490,270 times
I don't get it, how would I be unhappy if I didn't exist to experience said emotion?

It sounds like a bad reply to a teenager yelling "I wish I had never been born!"

I never pulled that myself, but my parents being the tough love type people, would mumble "Right now, so do we" when we saw the fiery tantrum of another...which was often accompanied by a circle of people trying not to laugh.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:45 AM

10,341 posts, read 9,988,245 times
I don't think I've ever wished ‘I had not been born’, but I’ve often thought that I was born into the wrong time and era (meaning that there is a lot about the past that would better fit my ‘persona’).

Old 05-13-2009, 03:11 PM

727 posts, read 1,651,248 times
I wasnt supposed to make it past my first week on earth. I was premature and had/have a gang of medical problems. Im far from a victim and I never want to be the object of sympathy. But I had a very hard life besides having to go in and out of the hospital in my you I had/have to deal with other personal things at a very young age. I live with pain(physical and emotional) so unbearable some days that I want my life to end.(I'm not suicidal)I'm very, I dont wanna say religous......More like spiritual and thats all I have on days where I wish I was never born....that and me just acting a goofball because I really rather laugh and crack myself up then to keep from feeling bad.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:20 PM

727 posts, read 1,651,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda_Cooperstone1 View Post
Pain is part of life, it is an emotion, without pain you can not experience joy. If you have never felt pain how would you know what joy is? Everyone has gone through a lot of things in their life, painful, hurtful things. There is no meter to measure who had more pain. Because everyone has a different tolerance.

I think for someone to feel or wish they were never born means they feel their life has no purpose. Not meaning to find a cure or save the planet type purpose, but just any purpose. Or they have no joy.

I think everyone has a choice to live a better life if they do not like the one they are living, but many people lack motivation, will power, courage or knowledge.

Maybe I am not explaining myself well enough. Bottom line I am glad I was born, even after all the pain I have felt in the past as well, because of my past it helped form my future, and I like the way it looks.
If you believe in GOD or better yet a Higher Spirit you know every human has a purpose in life the task is figuring out what it is.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:01 PM

4,179 posts, read 9,118,711 times
I live every day of my life in pain - everything from the minor constant burn of supperating lupus lesion on my face, through the multiple agonies of a twisting gut (much of which had to be removed because of the auto-immune disease attacking it) everytime I eat, to the daily gnawing grumble of arthritis in my joints. I can't get insurance, I started out poor and yes, homeless with two kids and built my life all over again. Waaaaah.

So freaking what? People choose whether they lay around and whimper and grouse and expect the rest of the world to take care of them - or choose to overcome whatever is ailing them. You can change your life, your attitude, your future - or you can whine because 'it can't be changed'. Belinda is right, and no she did not phrase it badly. I don't have much sympathy for the continual whiners, and none for the suicides or the constantly regretful, 'wish I could be somewhere else' types. We are HERE, and we had better make the most of it, just in case there is no "there" in our future!

I'm glad I was born. I like seeing my new plants take root and flower and produce, I like watching my new chicks grow into chickens, and I like watching the deer run, the moon rise, the amazing skies, lightning storms, and beauty all around me. Every day I wake up eager to grab hold and get going. Every night I look forward to falling into bed and sleeping (hopefully all night). I have started so many projects and am so involved in so many things that I simply don't have time to die, or even to whine. I will live to be at least 80; mean, irascible, temperamental, tough, and refusing to let go.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:03 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,574,557 times
I'm happy that I was born with sufficient intellect in an economic society in which I could be a slacker and be fabulously wealthy, just living day to day by my wits alone. By far, the great majority of the people in the world were far less lucky, and I don't think I would be very happy to have been born without those two blessings. Just about everybody resigns themselves to their life, and seeks what happiness they can squeeze out of having food, sex, companionship and some comforts. Most people in the world have at least as much liberty as it it would take for a person to be happy, so that is not an issue. For those without enough liberty, it is not governments that restrict their liberty, but rather their culture, their family ties, their religion, their economic circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or