Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 09:55 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

This is actually a very good philosophical question, and as such, one need cut beneath the surface. I.e, if you know something what is your moral obligation to act in accordance with the greater good, as opposed to your self interest? If you know where the regiment is going to land, do you blow them off to save yourself?

I've often thought of this question with respect to testifying in court. If a person you know has entrusted you with personal knowledge of his criminal activity (or troop movements), are you more bound to honor that trust and not betray him, or to fulfill your oath (made under duress) to tell the whole truth? Do you retain the right to weigh those two values against each other, and act according to your own conscience?

In fact, when called to testify, you are in a sense being "tortured". You take the oath under duress, because you fear the consequences of refusing to do so---there is a bailiff with a gun standing there and a jail cell with a hard bed across the street.

What if a witness, when being sworn in, were to say "Let the record show that I am swearing this oath not of my own free will, but under duress." The oath would then have no force of law, and you are not obliged to tell the truth. One could say he was under threat of torture, for the consequences of refusing to speak the truth would certainly be unpleasant. Although it might not meet the Rumsfeld Test of "organ failure".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 12:44 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
There is many stories in the news about how it took months of water-boarding to get some of the possible Islamic terrorists to talk. I wonder why it took over 100 water-boarding sessions to get them to speak.

I wonder if it is possible that some of the terrorists are so committed to their beliefs that it would be impossible to get them to speak and give up information. They were such strong individuals that no matter what our CIA torturers did they could not be broken.

If you were tortured to get information that would harm your spouse or children, could they break you so you would give out the information and your children or husband/wife would be hurt? Would you talk?
The US military has had a policy in place for quite some time regarding a soldier giving up intell under torture. Under such duress he/she cannot be held to be a collaborator. Some of our former and current enemies methods are /were so brutal that it would be totally improper to charge a soldier for breaking under them. I could not personally gaurantee that I could hold up under such methods. Regardless of whats at stake. Thats asking a lot of anyone.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:23 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I'd give it up at the first wince. I know my own lack of ability around pain.
I saw an interesting article in Harper's by a former Israeli interrogator, who said that physial torture isn't that effective, since people will say anything they have to. He felt that psychological head games were more effective.
It'd be nice if that were true.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:36 AM

43 posts, read 115,004 times
I would go through just about anything to stay loyal. Once they headed towards the groin area I will tell them whatever they want.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:51 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,081,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
The purpose of this post is not to pre judge the decisions of the CIA or Military regarding torture, but instead to start a debate if it is possible for a human being to withstand the pain and discomfort and not give out the information they are seeking.
Yes-everyone's threshold is different. I believe that some people could withstand extreme amounts of pain and torture and others would cave in immediately. It all depends upon the individual and how willing they are to hold out, I suppose.

I can't say for sure because, fortuantely, I've never been in a position of being tortured for information.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:16 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,352,828 times
Have you ever been married to a mormon? I have...and I can now withstand any amount of torture...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates