Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 06:28 PM

488 posts, read 1,024,558 times

Advertisements

Why dont we hear as much as we used to about this?Is it under control or was it over blown to start with? I never see nothing to help prevent the spread no more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 07:48 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK SAWYER View Post
Why dont we hear as much as we used to about this?Is it under control or was it over blown to start with? I never see nothing to help prevent the spread no more?
I don't know why, I have a few guesses but they would be purely speculative without any basis in facts.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/survei...ansmission.htm

Old 05-16-2009, 08:25 PM

Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I don't know why, I have a few guesses but they would be purely speculative without any basis in facts.

HIV Transmission Rates in the United States | Fact Sheets | Statistics and Surveillance | Topics | CDC HIV/AIDS
a lot of work for all that!

Old 05-16-2009, 08:28 PM

makes sence! i just thaught they would keep it in peoples minds so it dont go the other direction?

Old 05-17-2009, 10:34 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Default H.I.V.AIDS what happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK SAWYER View Post
AIDS was scarier to the public when it first appeared. It's still an important concern, but it's old news now and more people are practicing safe sex and using condoms. There are needle exchange programs for drug users. Blood banks have more stringent screening practices for their donors. AIDS is still in the news, like just last month when the Pope gave a speech in Africa and said that the use of condoms spread AIDS. Recently there was another news story about the AIDS problem in Washington, DC amongst the black male population. People know that AIDS is dangerous, but it's seen more as a problem in places like Africa.

AIDS is just not front page news anymore in the US, and articles about it will more likely be placed in the Health sections of a news service. The AIDS scare was replaced a few winters ago by the SARS virus scare, and more recently by the swine flu outbreak. There have been other panics about bird flu and TB. The public does have a short attention span and once they think that they are safe from exposure, they stop worrying about it.

Plus there are now medicines available that extend the lives of AIDS patients.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:18 PM

Default Aaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
AIDS was scarier to the public when it first appeared. It's still an important concern, but it's old news now and more people are practicing safe sex and using condoms. There are needle exchange programs for drug users. Blood banks have more stringent screening practices for their donors. AIDS is still in the news, like just last month when the Pope gave a speech in Africa and said that the use of condoms spread AIDS. Recently there was another news story about the AIDS problem in Washington, DC amongst the black male population. People know that AIDS is dangerous, but it's seen more as a problem in places like Africa.

AIDS is just not front page news anymore in the US, and articles about it will more likely be placed in the Health sections of a news service. The AIDS scare was replaced a few winters ago by the SARS virus scare, and more recently by the swine flu outbreak. There have been other panics about bird flu and TB. The public does have a short attention span and once they think that they are safe from exposure, they stop worrying about it.

Plus there are now medicines available that extend the lives of AIDS patients.
Good point!

Old 05-17-2009, 05:47 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Thanks.

I also think that while AIDS may not be mentioned in the regular news every day, every health clinic and many doctors' offices (depending on their specialty) have free booklets and flyers prominently displayed teaching about HIV and AIDS. Also the UN's WHO division is very active about monitoring the world's AIDS situation.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:06 PM

Default yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Thanks.

I also think that while AIDS may not be mentioned in the regular news every day, every health clinic and many doctors' offices (depending on their specialty) have free booklets and flyers prominently displayed teaching about HIV and AIDS. Also the UN's WHO division is very active about monitoring the world's AIDS situation.
I know its not as bad here as in africa and it does seem they got the point across to my generation? But i was wondering is there enough being done to let the generation who never seen the starting of all of it know the risk? I know always having it out there sure slowed it down and i would think that a lot of people would think it no longer a threat without hearing it like me and maybe you did?

Old 05-18-2009, 04:21 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I think, supposedly, in the U.S. "everyone" knows what causes it and how to prevent it. Now, there are some 40,000 new infections every year in the U.S., so obviously something is missing. There is a misconception that it's no big deal and you just take a pill if you get AIDS. There is sex among young people mixed with crystal meth. There are numerous men who marry and trick around on the side. One of the highest rates of infection are in black and Latina women from these men.
There really isn't any news about AIDS. Maybe sort of like you don't see any news articles that smoking can cause lung cancer. It's something that "everyone" knows.
Whether or not they can USE that knowledge, well, that's another thing. I personally think using knowledge about sexual matters is a whole different thing from other matters.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:09 PM

I know as a kid it put a scare in me hearing it so much..I wonder if the younger kids who never went thrue the era where it was on someting everday will be as concerned?I know most parents talk to there children, but children dont seem to listen to the parents as much as we want them to?And i dont think handing out condoms is the answer but it helps i am sure..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates