Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 02:22 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,208,924 times

Advertisements

I think you are currently a SAHM. I could be wrong. I have been before. That is what I think your job is. Not that it isn't admirable or hard. However, what that does mean in reality is that you are out x amount of years in the workforce. Your not really producing anything.

What this means is that you will be retiring off of your husbands work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 05:25 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,381,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
I think you are currently a SAHM. I could be wrong. I have been before. That is what I think your job is. Not that it isn't admirable or hard. However, what that does mean in reality is that you are out x amount of years in the workforce. Your not really producing anything.

She ain't a SAHM. She is a Sham. Big difference of where the h you put it.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:32 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,034,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post

You are, for the most part, wrong here as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
She ain't a SAHM. She is a Sham. Big difference of where the h you put it.
Nice, conclusions based on no information. Did you learn that working for the government?

Old 05-29-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Nice, conclusions based on no information. Did you learn that working for the government?
I learned how to deal with antagonistic, angry, and hurtful citizens working there. You?

Old 05-29-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I learned how to deal with antagonistic, angry, and hurtful citizens working there. You?
Nah, I don't meet many people like that IRL...mostly just here on CD.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Nah, I don't meet many people like that IRL...mostly just here on CD.
Perhaps you've lived a sheltered, and somewhat protected life--one that gives you a world view that is much nicer than reality. Remember when Marie said "Let them eat cake" she wasn't being mean, she simply didn't understand what life was liuke outside of the castle.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you've lived a sheltered, and somewhat protected life--one that gives you a world view that is much nicer than reality. Remember when Marie said "Let them eat cake" she wasn't being mean, she simply didn't understand what life was liuke outside of the castle.
The correct interpretation of the infamous quote attributed to Marie Antoinette may be quite different than what you suggest here (if indeed she uttered the infamous words).
Quote:
It is widely attributed to Marie-Antoinette (1755-93), the Queen consort of Louis XVI. She is supposed to have said this when she was told that the French populace had no bread to eat.
The original French is Qu'ils mangent de la brioche. It has been suggested that the speaker's intention wasn't as cynical as is generally supposed. French law required bakers to sell loaves at fixed prices and fancy loaves had to be sold at the same price as basic breads. This was aimed at preventing bakers from selling just the more profitable expensive products. The let them eat brioche (a form of cake made of flour, butter and eggs) would have been a sensible suggestion in the face of a flour shortage as it would have allowed the poor to eat what would otherwise have been unaffordable. It's rather a mouthful, so to speak, but if the phrase had been reported as 'let them buy cake at the same price as bread' we might now think better of the French nobility.
However, for the purpose of this dialogue I'll go with your interpretation.

Marie spoke from a myopic point of view, that of the government, your former employer. A modern equivalent might be "Let them eat CHEESE." I'm not the one working for the government passing out cheese. Nope, I've never lived in the castle and my life isn't particularly sheltered. I've certainly been worse off than most folks at some point and I don't forget that now as I try to give back to folks in the same position as I once found myself. I don't meet many people as you have described...angry, antagonistic and hurtful. Most are grateful, humble, generous and kind hearted. Perhaps the folks you had to deal with just didn't like the government cheese...??

Old 05-30-2009, 07:48 AM

Reportedly, you had a child at 23 and then again at 25 and were a SAHM until the last year or so ago when you became a WAHM. I think it was either August or September of last year you were afraid you were going to get cut because you were a new hire and your hours had already been cut back. However, by October of this past year, you made a statement that said the company profited by the economic downturn. Not sure if that was your company or your husbands. You have a tendency to say "we" lost a job or "we" which is, albeit, very healthy emotionally. Not the point here.

Now, I have read that you take great pride in "producing" through being a SAHM mother to two wonderful children. By all means, you should. However, this is not the production that I am referring to.

You, yourself, did not go out into the workforce and pay taxes out of your personal income through your own work for even close to 30 years consistently(although, the law change has repeatedly been brought up.) Yet, you have the audacity to come in here and talk about "worthy of a pension" and "arrogance" and how you deserve a thank you card. You should be thankful that the rest of us were picking up the slack while you were busy pursuing your personal vision of the American Dream. Save your Christmas cards. We all understand the *sacrifices* that you made.

Please, don't apply for a government job. Your not qualified.

Last edited by Pandamonium; 05-30-2009 at 08:00 AM..

Old 05-30-2009, 08:55 AM

Let me make myself absolutely clear. I am not interested if I am dead on or not. You are one of those people that equates government=anonymity. Your so damn insistent on us v them that you fail to realize precisely what constitutes sacrifice.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:24 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,485,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Only one third?

Don't forget their retirement package. Growing up and living in the DC area I have many friends and neighbors who were career fedreal civil servants. All of them are retiring very comfortably in their mid to late fifties. The government invested their retirement funds and didn't spend the money like they did with Social Security. Since the rest of us paid their salary and retirement why do we have to work until 67 or 70 or forever when they have been protected? As far as the line that they're underpaid compared to the private sector - that's complete BS based on my experience.
So why didn't YOU get one of those cushy government jobs instead of one in the private sector that potentially pays more and has more opportunities for advancement than government service has. Or the possibility for moving to another area of the country more easily as a private sector employee???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates