U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 07:42 PM

4,668 posts, read 5,912,134 times

Advertisements

Condaleeza Rice or Colin Powell either would be and excellent choice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 08:01 PM

204 posts, read 726,419 times
I am happy so far - his speech in the middle east last week has done more good for the US in that region than any president has done for us - ever.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:47 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,076,846 times
I thnik we are going to need a presdient that has knowledge of waht it takes to really get us out of the debt that is building fast without relying on a advisor. Then he needs to really tell people just what is involved and the sacrifices facing future generations. He probably should be someone not worried about a second term, because the average person like my self would probaly still be shocked at the real nation financial state. No one I have seen lately is this person that has run for president.They all only know talking points given by advisors and staff.Speeches and goals mean nothing;we need action and results.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:51 PM

17,414 posts, read 18,289,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
I agree....and I could go and individually SMACK everyone in the GOP...they are crying that McCain was not centrist enough. If they don't wake up and smell the coffee burning..they will be in deep doggie poo shortly.

We want fiscal conservatism, smaller gov't, less welfare, McCain was NOT our dog. He only got the votes he did because of Palin.
That is a scary thought. To think that people voted for McCain because of Palin is the main reason America is in such a mess.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:34 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,357,869 times
Wrong again...the mess is created by the lack of moral terpitude...both on the part of Politicians who are too long in office (can you say Term Limits) and by Corporations whose ONLY goal is short term profits (at the expense of long term success of their companies)

The seriousness of the shackling of the free marketplace by government has cause businesses to make marketing and planning decisions based on Tax Policies - which always makes for a poor decision. We really don't even have a true Capitalist system in the purest form. It cannot function as one due to the interference of politicians. And I don 't mean there should not be standards to keep our air and water clean. I am talking about tax policies, trade policies, imagined global warming and cap and trade nonsense, etc.

We need a Presidential nominee that believes in the Free market system, someone who actually has Integrity (both personally and professionally), and will hold others accountable!! I do not know if that person, who I am certain exists in great numbers in our great Country, would actually want that job tho...

Old 06-08-2009, 01:01 PM

9,371 posts, read 17,500,232 times
The President is not much more than a media figure who signs stuff. Congress and Senate are running this country into the ground. The two party system has only created a nation divided amongst itself. Corporations and our nations elite steer this country, not the POTUS. As a matter of fact, a bad President can do more harm, than a good President can do to improve this country. Jesus Christ himself would have to come down off the cross to undo all the damage that the last eight Presidents have caused. I don't include Obama in the last eight since he hasn't had sufficient time, but I have little hope for a different outcome. Today you have to vote for who tells a better lie, because they are all liars.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:16 PM

1,307 posts, read 3,193,159 times
Well, seeing as how most of the Sheeple don't actually independently investigate the candidates, or take the time to become familiar with their platforms, it's a popularity contest. So maybe the best duo for President might be:

PITT/JOLIE 2012

or

JOLIE/PITT 2012

I think we have a winner.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:50 PM

2,342 posts, read 2,966,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK SAWYER View Post
It seems like we get to vote for the few that runs..I know there are others who could win by a pretty large margin? But they just won't run for what ever reason!
you're not kidding, before 'super tuesday', before 45 of 52 states had a chance to vote we went from 9 canidates to 2 on the democratic side and from 7 to 2 on the republican side.

I knew something was wrong when from the very beginning of televised debates not all canidates would get equal time. Very undemocratic, no? It wasn't like that a few years ago.

strange way to nominate a president in a "democracy".

and why in the heck do Iowa , New Hampshire have such power in nominating a president? I know it's history, tradition but it's time for a new system.

and why do the dems give South Carolina the logistically important 3rd primary when it never goes blue?

Old 06-10-2009, 12:16 AM

530 posts, read 568,646 times
Colin Powell would have been a great choice, i think he's smart, and middle of the road.
Otherwise, if Ron Paul could have reined in the cooky a little.
But, i have to say, The best man won!

Old 06-10-2009, 05:37 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,357,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
Colin Powell would have been a great choice, i think he's smart, and middle of the road.
Otherwise, if Ron Paul could have reined in the cooky a little.
But, i have to say, The best man won!
Yes, the best of the slop that was served to us....I suppose....We need real QUALITY candidates for a change! I am sick and tired of the drivel that politicians spout as intelligence. It is sickening. I don't like Kool Aid , and therefore, I am thirsty!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or