U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-21-2009, 10:02 AM

8,294 posts, read 13,835,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Finally you're absoltuely correct on that one. Both posts and the subject matter in question are dealing with YOU

Not if it's the same subject!!!
You might want to try that again, Einstein.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 10:05 AM

2,256 posts, read 3,432,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
You might want to try that again, Einstein.
Nah, it's absolutely impossible to improve upon.

Not much else to say except the whole subject is proof we are living in the "last days" according to the bible.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:20 AM

1,772 posts, read 1,168,239 times
Well, I would think that all the bellicose tradeoffs here would cast some light on the "great debate," lol, that started with the speculation that Monsanto Corporation may be evil. Let me just say that in the spirit of true debating, I'd like to intervene in the shouting fest to say that ten minutes on Google brings to the fore some very interesting statements concerning the Company. First off, their standing as one of the worlds largest producers of herbicides certainly qualifies them for some awards in the, evil is as evil does, category. Carry on all you want, but the truth of this company is out there for all to read about. Now, we can argue all day long over the contention that company A is evil and company B is less evil, but we'd all be hard pressed to defend many American and European corporations that have wreaked havoc on our planet and it's eco-systems. That said, what we are really faced with is not the far fetched opinion of those who choose to defend, nor are we accustomed to trashing those who don't deserve our disdain. It should suffice to say that Monsanto is a corporation, and these compnies do not exist for the good of anyone except themselves, if any one derives benefit from their products or services it is because they need to be successful in their capital endeavors, period. No free market restaints are there except for those that develop through customer dissatisfaction, and others that are routinely circumvented. In the case of Monsanto and other large Agri-corporations, the customer is not the final user of said products, the customer is the farmers who depend on these giants to eradicate the unprofitable aspects of their business. We in the general populace are not part of the equation when the product developers do their magic in those labs that spawn all types of potential problems for our health, unfortunately, Monsanto and the others are locked in to this system of bottom line thinking that shortchanges us in ways we have yet to see. Capitalism has been around for a long time, it has worked pretty well for a long time, but, the propensity of our system toward the profit rather than the benefit goes a long way in explaining the innate evil that has been the defining criticism of the Capital system. The question that really is begging for answers, is, and probably always will be, one of whether we, the people, will be up to the task of providing the restraint that mitigates the effects of the corporate state that allows evil to exist, as an integral part of business.......

Old 05-21-2009, 10:22 AM

38,741 posts, read 36,469,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I would love to read these genuinely reliable objective sources so as to see where you are coming from. Please provide a few links so that the rest of us following this thread can also weigh the evidence?
You can go to wikipedia and search for monsanto and roundup and glyphosate same as anybody else. Wiki is not perfect, but it is it not balanced today, it will be tomorrow. You can also follow their links to additional sources, and it is not hard to recognize sources that specialize in puff pieces. I have already provided my links to some of my sources, and explained that over the years, I have read numerous articles in The Economist that have formed the basis of my general feelings about this subject. None of those are available online except by subscription.

Have you directed the same challenge to Omaha Rocks, as I have many many times? Let me know if he ever provides a link, otherwise I will have no way of knowing.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Well, I would think that all the bellicose tradeoffs here would cast some light on the "great debate," lol, that started with the speculation that Monsanto Corporation may be evil. Let me just say that in the spirit of true debating, I'd like to intervene in the shouting fest to say that ten minutes on Google brings to the fore some very interesting statements concerning the Company. First off, their standing as one of the worlds largest producers of herbicides certainly qualifies them for some awards in the, evil is as evil does, category. Carry on all you want, but the truth of this company is out there for all to read about. Now, we can argue all day long over the contention that company A is evil and company B is less evil, but we'd all be hard pressed to defend many American and European corporations that have wreaked havoc on our planet and it's eco-systems. That said, what we are really faced with is not the far fetched opinion of those who choose to defend, nor are we accustomed to trashing those who don't deserve our disdain. It should suffice to say that Monsanto is a corporation, and these compnies do not exist for the good of anyone except themselves, if any one derives benefit from their products or services it is because they need to be successful in their capital endeavors, period. No free market restaints are there except for those that develop through customer dissatisfaction, and others that are routinely circumvented. In the case of Monsanto and other large Agri-corporations, the customer is not the final user of said products, the customer is the farmers who depend on these giants to eradicate the unprofitable aspects of their business. We in the general populace are not part of the equation when the product developers do their magic in those labs that spawn all types of potential problems for our health, unfortunately, Monsanto and the others are locked in to this system of bottom line thinking that shortchanges us in ways we have yet to see. Capitalism has been around for a long time, it has worked pretty well for a long time, but, the propensity of our system toward the profit rather than the benefit goes a long way in explaining the innate evil that has been the defining criticism of the Capital system. The question that really is begging for answers, is, and probably always will be, one of whether we, the people, will be up to the task of providing the restraint that mitigates the effects of the corporate state that allows evil to exist, as an integral part of business.......
Good points and I think that is the bottom line. While they do use the law for patent rights and so forth, there is the morality issue or lack of it attached to these people. It's not any one singular event or incident, because from WWI forward from nerve gas to agent orange to the present the record speaks for itself. But you are right about one thing. No one or group is going to bring them down, certainly not the U.S. government.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You can go to wikipedia and search for monsanto and roundup and glyphosate same as anybody else. Wiki is not perfect, but it is it not balanced today, it will be tomorrow. You can also follow their links to additional sources, and it is not hard to recognize sources that specialize in puff pieces. I have already provided my links to some of my sources, and explained that over the years, I have read numerous articles in The Economist that have formed the basis of my general feelings about this subject. None of those are available online except by subscription.

Have you directed the same challenge to Omaha Rocks, as I have many many times? Let me know if he ever provides a link, otherwise I will have no way of knowing.
Are you finally willing to admit that the GreenPeace article about Monsanto trying to "Patent The Pig" was a complete and total lie?

I didn't think so. But your silence is your confession.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post

Are you willing to go back to when these "evil" agri-giants didn't yet exist?

Before you scream "YES YES and YES!!!!!!!" let me remind you that those were the days of 20-30 bushel per acre corn crops, instead of today's 200+ bushel per acre crops. What has changed that is HYBRID SEED that has been a result of intense research, and has ALWAYS been patented.

What that means for city folks such as you, is that you would be paying exponentially more for ALL of your groceries.

Are you willing to put up 50-70% of your income for groceries, just because of a loathing of these "evil" agri-giants?

What people like BluePacific scream nonsense like "Monsanto must be destroyed!" he/she might as well be saying, "I want to spend all my money on food!!!!!"

Once again, one of my original posts on this thread found me saying that I'm not a big fan of Monsanto. But I AM a fan of people telling the TRUTH - and the TRUTH is not being told on this thread. That is evidenced by the fact that the OP - asserting that Monsanto is trying to patent the pig - is an outright lie, started by GreenPeace, and perpetuated by gullible people.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:06 PM

29,502 posts, read 17,734,678 times
I read somewhere in a reputable source that Monsanto patented breathing and that now we all have to pay them royalties starting 1/1/2010.

If this isn't evil then nothing is! I'm sure you ALL agree with me.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I read somewhere in a reputable source that Monsanto patented breathing and that now we all have to pay them royalties starting 1/1/2010.

Well actually what it was, it was a case where there were a couple of people who had kissed someone else who used a legally patented whitening toothpaste which had several Monsanto engineered chemical markers and these people were pulled over by the police for suspicion of DUI. They were made to have a breathalizer test and some of the Monsanto investigative inspectors were on hand and found that they had tested possitive for several of the company's own engineered molecules for which they demanded a teeth whitening license fee.

The air thing was only a rumor manufactured by Greenpeace.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:

Actually, that only happened in India. Tens of thousands of people are suffocating because they don't have money to pay royalties on air. How many tens of thousands more people have to DIE before we admit that Monsanto is EVIL?!?!?!?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates