U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-21-2009, 02:14 PM
 
2,255 posts, read 4,795,438 times
Reputation: 771

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Actually, that only happened in India. Tens of thousands of people are suffocating because they don't have money to pay royalties on air. How many tens of thousands more people have to DIE before we admit that Monsanto is EVIL?!?!?!?!?!
Since you've offered your genius as the official Monsanto apologist, then why don't you enlighten us ???

Here, let's help you out.

Monsanto's New Arthritis Drug, Celebrex, Linked to 10 Deaths -- Item #10046

Agent Orange Victims >>> Agent Orange, children and the Viet Nam War

Agent Orange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia 400,000 deaths and 500,000 injuries

The World According to Monsanto - Full Documentary | Twilight Earth (http://www.twilightearth.com/2009/05/the-world-according-to-monsanto-full-documentary/ - broken link)

MonsantoWatch - Factsheet: Monsanto's Sordid History

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-21-2009, 02:23 PM
 
197 posts, read 327,964 times
Reputation: 149
Honestly, Omaha, if you took the time to watch those films you might have an idea of what a "fact" actually is. By your definition, a fact is apparently some obscure idea that doesn't actually exist in reality, so what you do is shout and scream, and start name calling, which if you don't know, completely throws out any of your credibility. If you've ever been to a debate, you'd understand that. The corporations film is what is called a credible source, the people who they interviews would be considered scholarly interview. There just ins't any other way to say that, IT IS FACT MAN. I'm sorry your in denial, and you think the world is sunshine and butterflies, and no one does any harm in this world, and i'm also sorry you think the sky is falling. (just to let you know, its impossible for the sky to fall, there isn't anything there to fall, just so you know, you can rest assured now) Guy, its proven, PROVEN, Monsanto's products cause cancer, PROVEN, what more do you need, they pay of the FDA, and if your Republican, they could go to h*** anyways. Something your missing here, and as i said, Monsanto pays who they need to pay to get the information they need to the US population, that is also proven. They, along with many other corporations, and the government do this, it is as i stated, its called "propaganda" and i'm sorry your so wrapped up in it. Really, why do you think cancer is such a normal part of life. Do you think Cancer is natural? lol, seriously, we have a cancer epidemic because almost everything we eat, the drugs we are given, and the water we drink is just full of garbage that causes these medical abnormalities. Some food for thought, and as it turns out, we are on the internet, and i do research something after i figure out about, and i understand everything in those films isn't fact, but by large, they are. anyways Drugs In US Drinking Water of topic, but related. Wait wait... your um, not paying attention, your to busy building up your complex and what little self esteem you have badgering people, but THEY AREN'T PATENTING PIGS MAN. You seem to have changed your stance on that there, but they are, i mean really, they are patenting living beings. If your conservative, which it seems you are, that goes against every Christian principle there is, aside from the patent of living, pre-existing things. You can't take an AMD processor, change something a little bit, and then patent it, so why would this be any different. Some one made the claim that if nothing could be patented nothing would be created... um FALSE. Its called open sourced information, and a profit based system is pretty horrible because the only reason anything is made is because it is "profitable". That said, half the crap Monsanto makes isn't even allowed to be sold in other countries, because they governments at least care a ounce about the health of its people. Much of what Monsanto makes isn't allowed in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2009, 02:37 PM
 
3,700 posts, read 3,026,594 times
Reputation: 10007
Here again, we see the same argument that has been posed here many, many times, and that is the belief that cost has some intrinsic form to it, that is simply not the truth, as some posters claim to be in search of. True cost-benefit analysis must include not only the cost structure but it's reason for existing in the first place. We make products that supposedly create a benefit, if that benefit can only be measured in terms of cost, then we have a problem. For country folk's AND city folk's alike. Anyone not familiar with the process of qualification of Herbicides wouldn't guess that we are in fact looking at the cost factors instead of the long term thinking that is associated with forward looking societies. We have an abundance of food, yes, that is the direct result of the use of products like the ones Monsanto makes, the problem isn't one of quantity however, we do need to look at those attributes of said products that endanger our lives, and the lives of our grandchildren. In my previous post I layed out the scenario that defines our economic system as one of, capital over Labor, capital over health and capital over common sense. I think the poster who insists upon having an argument over his/her contention is missing the point in this attempt at debate, post your own feelings, and then get back and allow the other posters to have their say without being ridiculed for their position on a subject that finds you in a tizzy, to say the least. Nothing on this forum is worth getting too excited about, if you aren't accustomed to on-line debates then this may be an oppertunity to see that we all have some different positions on things near and dear to your heart, debate is meant to be contentious but not contemptuous. The farmers who are using these herbicidal products are doing so because they are caught up in the paradigm of modern food production, period. The consumer buys his contaminated food for the same reason, this is not a rant on the use of these chemical products of dubious origin, it is meant to be food for thought. We all live on the common planet, not as some have inferred as, city people and country people, but moreover, people, just people, who share a common physiology and therefore a common threat from these recent developments in our food chain. The heralding of technologies that have supposedly saved us, or allowed us another meal, ring hollow in their ability to withstand the true test of those manmade things that ultimately can contribute to our demise. Try doing the math on the terrible consequences of science run amok, you'll find that the number$$ don't support the contention that all we need to do is keep on feeding ourselves and leave the rest to the science to continue unabated toward some catastrophic upset in the quality of our food, water, and air. The fact that these herbicidal chemicals are being developed with one thing in mind and one thing only, profit, that's right, plain old capitalism, profit over commonsense, profit for the farmer, profit for the manufacturer, and lastly a great ability to grow tremendous amounts of food.........for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2009, 02:45 PM
 
48,891 posts, read 39,381,014 times
Reputation: 30550
WOW! Great posts guys...I read them completely!
YouDOrealizehoweverthateverytimeyouuseaspacegodkil lsapuppyright?Iespeciallylikethepartaboutcancernot beingnatural.Sweetmywifediedfromcanceritmustbethef aultofmonsantoorsomeothercompanythatyouchoosetotar getyoustupidmoron.Holycowthenutjobsarereallystarti ngtocrawloutofthewoodworkherenow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2009, 02:53 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,457,074 times
Reputation: 3868
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Since you've offered your genius as the official Monsanto apologist, then why don't you enlighten us ???

Here, let's help you out.

Monsanto's New Arthritis Drug, Celebrex, Linked to 10 Deaths -- Item #10046

Agent Orange Victims >>> Agent Orange, children and the Viet Nam War

Agent Orange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia 400,000 deaths and 500,000 injuries

The World According to Monsanto - Full Documentary | Twilight Earth (http://www.twilightearth.com/2009/05/the-world-according-to-monsanto-full-documentary/ - broken link)

MonsantoWatch - Factsheet: Monsanto's Sordid History

Oh for crying out loud. You're going to have to do better than that.

You site nonsense websites like Ethical Investing (whose sub-title is "Monsanto - World's Most Unethical and Harmful Investment"), Twilight Earth and Monsanto Watch - and you expect to be taken seriously?

And hey, here's a little Heads Up... YES, Monsanto and DuPont were commissioned to develop the defoliant Agent Orange by the United States Government. At that time the Government DIDN'T CARE about its long-term effects. They simply wanted something that would burn down all the foliage in VietNam. So... Your point is?


I'm pretty sure the sky is NOT falling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2009, 02:57 PM
 
48,891 posts, read 39,381,014 times
Reputation: 30550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swansen View Post
Honestly, Omaha, if you took the time to watch those films you might have an idea of what a "fact" actually is. By your definition, a fact is apparently some obscure idea that doesn't actually exist in reality, so what you do is shout and scream, and start name calling, which if you don't know, completely throws out any of your credibility. If you've ever been to a debate, you'd understand that. The corporations film is what is called a credible source, the people who they interviews would be considered scholarly interview. There just ins't any other way to say that, IT IS FACT MAN. I'm sorry your in denial, and you think the world is sunshine and butterflies, and no one does any harm in this world, and i'm also sorry you think the sky is falling. (just to let you know, its impossible for the sky to fall, there isn't anything there to fall, just so you know, you can rest assured now) Guy, its proven, PROVEN, Monsanto's products cause cancer, PROVEN, what more do you need, they pay of the FDA, and if your Republican, they could go to h*** anyways. Something your missing here, and as i said, Monsanto pays who they need to pay to get the information they need to the US population, that is also proven. They, along with many other corporations, and the government do this, it is as i stated, its called "propaganda" and i'm sorry your so wrapped up in it. Really, why do you think cancer is such a normal part of life. Do you think Cancer is natural? lol, seriously, we have a cancer epidemic because almost everything we eat, the drugs we are given, and the water we drink is just full of garbage that causes these medical abnormalities. Some food for thought, and as it turns out, we are on the internet, and i do research something after i figure out about, and i understand everything in those films isn't fact, but by large, they are. anyways Drugs In US Drinking Water of topic, but related. Wait wait... your um, not paying attention, your to busy building up your complex and what little self esteem you have badgering people, but THEY AREN'T PATENTING PIGS MAN. You seem to have changed your stance on that there, but they are, i mean really, they are patenting living beings. If your conservative, which it seems you are, that goes against every Christian principle there is, aside from the patent of living, pre-existing things. You can't take an AMD processor, change something a little bit, and then patent it, so why would this be any different. Some one made the claim that if nothing could be patented nothing would be created... um FALSE. Its called open sourced information, and a profit based system is pretty horrible because the only reason anything is made is because it is "profitable". That said, half the crap Monsanto makes isn't even allowed to be sold in other countries, because they governments at least care a ounce about the health of its people. Much of what Monsanto makes isn't allowed in Canada.
Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil Rolls, Foil Roll Heavy Cutter Box
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2009, 03:00 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,457,074 times
Reputation: 3868
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
The farmers who are using these herbicidal products are doing so because they are caught up in the paradigm of modern food production, period.
Yeah, and that really sucks doesn't it?

Maybe we should petition Congress to enact laws making it illegal to use any form of agriculture that has been invented, improved, or bred during the last 150 years. Let's go back to each farmer walking behind a wooden plow, pulled by a haggard old ox. Let's go back to 10 bushel per acre corn.

But before you jump with glee at the possibility, prepare yourself for global food shortages and a world-wide epidemic of starvation. But consider yourself lucky. Since you're an American, you'll still be able to buy food - provided you don't mind paying over $100 per pound for beef, and $85 for a box of Corn Flakes.


American farmers feed the world, and modern agricultural technology is one of the reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2009, 03:02 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,457,074 times
Reputation: 3868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swansen View Post
Honestly, Omaha, if you took the time to watch those films you might have an idea of what a "fact" actually is. By your definition, a fact is apparently some obscure idea that doesn't actually exist in reality, so what you do is shout and scream, and start name calling, which if you don't know, completely throws out any of your credibility. If you've ever been to a debate, you'd understand that. The corporations film is what is called a credible source, the people who they interviews would be considered scholarly interview. There just ins't any other way to say that, IT IS FACT MAN. I'm sorry your in denial, and you think the world is sunshine and butterflies, and no one does any harm in this world, and i'm also sorry you think the sky is falling. (just to let you know, its impossible for the sky to fall, there isn't anything there to fall, just so you know, you can rest assured now) Guy, its proven, PROVEN, Monsanto's products cause cancer, PROVEN, what more do you need, they pay of the FDA, and if your Republican, they could go to h*** anyways. Something your missing here, and as i said, Monsanto pays who they need to pay to get the information they need to the US population, that is also proven. They, along with many other corporations, and the government do this, it is as i stated, its called "propaganda" and i'm sorry your so wrapped up in it. Really, why do you think cancer is such a normal part of life. Do you think Cancer is natural? lol, seriously, we have a cancer epidemic because almost everything we eat, the drugs we are given, and the water we drink is just full of garbage that causes these medical abnormalities. Some food for thought, and as it turns out, we are on the internet, and i do research something after i figure out about, and i understand everything in those films isn't fact, but by large, they are. anyways Drugs In US Drinking Water of topic, but related. Wait wait... your um, not paying attention, your to busy building up your complex and what little self esteem you have badgering people, but THEY AREN'T PATENTING PIGS MAN. You seem to have changed your stance on that there, but they are, i mean really, they are patenting living beings. If your conservative, which it seems you are, that goes against every Christian principle there is, aside from the patent of living, pre-existing things. You can't take an AMD processor, change something a little bit, and then patent it, so why would this be any different. Some one made the claim that if nothing could be patented nothing would be created... um FALSE. Its called open sourced information, and a profit based system is pretty horrible because the only reason anything is made is because it is "profitable". That said, half the crap Monsanto makes isn't even allowed to be sold in other countries, because they governments at least care a ounce about the health of its people. Much of what Monsanto makes isn't allowed in Canada.
So your definition of a fact is "something I saw on YouTube that I agree with. Dude!"

That's nice.


You know what else is proven PROVEN PROVEN to cause cancer? The Sun! $%!#@$! Monsanto must own the Sun now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2009, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Back in New York
1,104 posts, read 3,321,597 times
Reputation: 843
Monsanto is a disgusting. If a bomb went off at Monsanto hedquarters it would be a wonderful day. They already have too much power.

Monsanto wish list...

1.) Make every farmer worldwide buy their terminator seeds and have to buy new seeds from them every year.

2.) Make GM foods the only source of food in mainstream supermarkets. They have been pushing to have GM foods labeled organic.

3.) To patent every life form on earth including you and your children. Not a comfortable feeling based on how these murderous b*astard MFers treat other living creatures. I don't care if they are food animals. NO living creature should ever be treated that way.

We are animals ourselves and have a connection to everything on this earth. Monsanto is a corp that is the human equvilant to a sociopath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2009, 09:14 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,457,074 times
Reputation: 3868
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Monsanto is a disgusting. If a bomb went off at Monsanto hedquarters it would be a wonderful day. They already have too much power.

Monsanto wish list...

1.) Make every farmer worldwide buy their terminator seeds and have to buy new seeds from them every year.

2.) Make GM foods the only source of food in mainstream supermarkets. They have been pushing to have GM foods labeled organic.

3.) To patent every life form on earth including you and your children. Not a comfortable feeling based on how these murderous b*astard MFers treat other living creatures. I don't care if they are food animals. NO living creature should ever be treated that way.

We are animals ourselves and have a connection to everything on this earth. Monsanto is a corp that is the human equvilant to a sociopath.
Yep, Monsanto is evil. However...

1. NOBODY is required to buy RoundUp Ready Seed. Absolutely nobody. But if you do, you have to sign a contract first, guaranteeing that you won't save back seed for next year. Get your facts straight.

2. ALL food is genetically modified (GM) food. EVERY seed you plant in your garden is GM. EVERY seed that is planted in virtually every field across the United States is GM. They have been for decades. Most people just aren't smart enough to know that GM is another phrase for the word "hybrid".

3. The GREENPEACE LIE about Monsanto trying to patent the pig has already been proven to be a bold-faced lie. No reason to launch into hyperbole here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top