Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 08:16 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Here's the best part. (I'm going off the top of my head here---corect me if I'm wrong.) Monsanto cannot be stopped, no matter how transparent and outrageous their practices. Monsanto could finance pirates stealing cargo on the high seas for a kick back, and we could not shut them down. They could kill a thousand babies doing tests on their products and then deny it and falsify all the information. We could not stop them. We can convict their individual executives and imprison them, but we cannot stop the company. In America, people can be stopped, but not corporations.

As long as they are making money, investors can and will buy shares in the company, and the SEC is powerless to even suspend trading unless there is a direct violation of an SEC rules in their trading practices. As long as they can find ways to make money, legal or otherwise, they are perfectly free to remain a business entity in the USA. As long as they can lie cheat and steal enough money to offset their costs of losing lawsuits, they're good to go. It looks like they know that.
The only way these corrupt organizations can be dealt with is more of this happening.
Monsanto in $700m pollution settlement

The real question is, how many more 10s of thousands of lives have to be lost before the average defender gets the point ??? The downward spiral of any empathy for your fellow man is a major support for Monsanto. My family who are left in the state of Iowa have said that the old days of neighbours/family/friends helping each other out and the normal community closeness that was so characteristic of the midwest as a whole has been eroded by this same attitude. The smart-a$$ responses to such revelations are an evidence that many areas of civilization around the Globe are indeed in trouble and will continue to further erode. It's come to the point where many people are simply ammoral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 08:19 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,666,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
The real question is, how many more 10s of thousands of lives have to be lost before the average defender gets the point ???
Please share information regarding the tens of thousands of lives that have ALREADY BEEN LOST because of Monsanto.

Thank you.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Please share information regarding the tens of thousands of lives that have ALREADY BEEN LOST because of Monsanto.

Thank you.
Well as someone has already alluded to, perhaps it would be benficial to wait until you are sober.

Still, even then it's a risk and a waste of time, especially since they have been doing this for a century.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Well as someone has already alluded to, perhaps it would be benficial to wait until you are sober.

Still, even then it's a risk and a waste of time, especially since they have been doing this for a century.
In other words, you're admitting that you have absolutely no facts upon which your hyperbole stands. Thank you.

"TENS OF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE HAVE DIED! OH THE HUMANITY!!!!!!" I do hope that provided you a good cry.

By the way, people don't usually get drunk on coffee.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:48 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
My family who are left in the state of Iowa have said that the old days of neighbours/family/friends helping each other out and the normal community closeness that was so characteristic of the midwest as a whole has been eroded by...
Crystal Meth

Seriously though....did you mean to post this in the relationships forum?

Old 05-21-2009, 08:51 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
BTW, Thanks, Omaha. You have inspired me to actually look up details about Monsanto, in genuinely reliable objective sources, and I've discovered that it is worse than I thought. I had previously not known much about the particulars of Monsanto's practices, but now that you've challenged me to look some things up to provide verification here, I see that they really are a great deal more evil than even I had thought they were.

Thanks for opening our eyes about what rotten batsards they really are. Now, thanks to you, we know the truth.
I would love to read these genuinely reliable objective sources so as to see where you are coming from. Please provide a few links so that the rest of us following this thread can also weigh the evidence?

Old 05-21-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I would love to read these genuinely reliable objective sources so as to see where you are coming from. Please provide a few links so that the rest of us following this thread can also weigh the evidence?
You just alluded to one of the major pitfalls of "The Internet Age."

Any and everything - especially that tripe with which we agree - can become "indisputable fact" if it appears on the internet, and is repeated often enough.

Then it becomes hyperbole. "How many more tens of thousands of people have to die before the average defender gets the point?!?!?!?!?!?"

The story about how Monsanto is trying to "patent the pig", and make it illegal for anybody in the world to raise pigs - except theirs - is classic. Next thing you know, we'll have a thread about how Monsanto is trying to patent the Moon, and nobody will be able to look at it without paying royalties...

Old 05-21-2009, 09:26 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,829 times
Quote:
I feel badly for you.
The feeling is mutual ...of Omaha!

Old 05-21-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
The feeling is mutual ...of Omaha!
So far you've put up 2 posts on this thread, and both of them have been absolutely worthless.

Do you have anything intelligent and credible to add?

Old 05-21-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
So far you've put up 2 posts on this thread, and both of them have been absolutely worthless.
Finally you're absoltuely correct on that one. Both posts and the subject matter in question are dealing with YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama Rocks
Do you have anything intelligent and credible to add?
Not if it's the same subject!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates