U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 10:15 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Would we even consider seriously a 2nd Amendment?
Yes, I believe we would. And, considering the number of Americans that own firearms, I would not even consider Americans giving up that right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 08:30 AM

5,915 posts, read 7,084,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Yes, I believe we would. And, considering the number of Americans that own firearms, I would not even consider Americans giving up that right.
Clearly a false choice. Gun ownership is not predicated on a 2nd amendment.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Clearly a false choice. .
And clearly, that is only your opinion.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:41 AM

5,915 posts, read 7,084,905 times
Quote:
And clearly, that is only your opinion.
And the Canadians, British, French, Germans, Irish, etc all of whom own guns in their countries, none of whom have an anachronistic 2nd amendment.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
And the Canadians, British, French, Germans, Irish, etc all of whom own guns in their countries, none of whom have an anachronistic 2nd amendment.
Ownership of handguns is very limited also in those countries

And, the reason they do not have the 2nd Amendment is because - they are Canada, British, French, Germans, Irish etc - and not the United States of America.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:59 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Quote:
Clearly a false choice. Gun ownership is not predicated on a 2nd amendment.
Right. Conntrary to the widely disseminated mantra of gun owners, Americans have the right to own pretty much whatever they please. The right to own whatever I please would remain intact, even without the 2nd Amendment, and my rights would include guns, perhaps excluding the kinds of guns whose proliferation could constitute a public danger and that no law abiding citizen would have any reasonable use for. Exactly as it is now.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:06 AM

If a new Constitution were to be written (as was the suggested topic of this thread), there is no guarantee that ownership of firearms, particularily handguns, would continue to be legal.

If there is a Constitutional Convention - EVERYTHING is on the table for change.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:11 AM

43,858 posts, read 43,564,164 times
I wonder why people who choose NOT to own guns are so preoccupied with those who DO choose to own a gun. I don't have one, but it's not my business as to who else does.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:34 AM

19,272 posts, read 20,151,367 times
Quote:
Ownership of handguns is very limited also in those countries

And, the reason they do not have the 2nd Amendment is because - they are Canada, British, French, Germans, Irish etc - and not the United States of America.
Indeed. It would be particularly awkward for Britain to have such an amendment, since it has no written constitution per se at all.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:59 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I wonder why people who choose NOT to own guns are so preoccupied with those who DO choose to own a gun. I don't have one, but it's not my business as to who else does.
I suspect that if you were to go back through the archives, you would find that the great majority of the threads about gun regulation or registration or confiscation has been started by a poster who owns guns and during the discussion, takes the gun-owner's point of view. Which is a pretty good indicator of which side is pre-occupied. Furthermore, just about every thread on different topics that gets hijacked into a gun discussion, it will be a gun-owner who goes off-topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates