U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 06:42 AM

5,915 posts, read 7,084,905 times

Advertisements

With a new Constitution. Would we even consider seriously a 2nd Amendment? What are the compelling reasons that we have such a love affair with the gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 07:14 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
First of all, the 2nd Amendment of the new constitution would be about 48 pages long.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:38 AM

10,296 posts, read 9,975,609 times
No, we’d prefer to be unarmed and helpless on all levels.

I don’t think I’m alone when I say that I do not have a love affair with guns; yet, I do have a love affair with individual freedom. And I do have a love affair with retaining that freedom.

This must be your least favorite quote: Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both. I’m sure you believe the man who spoke it to be a fool as well.

Also, there could never be a ‘rewriting’ of the constitution today. The people of this nation are split down the middle with each side adhering to one of two diametrically opposed ideals: Those who look to the government for all their answers and those who look away for their answers. I’m pretty pessimistic about our future (as a nation). 'Balkanization' comes to mind.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:45 AM

14,969 posts, read 13,761,828 times
Seems that some people want the Constitution to state only the things they want it to. They like to pick and choose.

Those who are so adamantly against the 2nd Amendment vehemently defend the "constitutional right" to abortion and are also opposed to the 10th Amendment.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:13 AM

I think the 2nd Amendment that we have is pretty much what we ought to have. I would suggest cleaning up the punctuation, and making it clearer what is actually not to be infringed.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

It could be changed to something like:

The right of the people to form a well-regulated militia, in order to ensure the security of a free state, and the right of the people to keep and bear such arms as their security requires, shall not be infringed.

I find it really hard to believe that the Founders, in a spare document of only 27 words, wasted two of them on "well regulated" without really meaning anything at all by it, just a decorative flourish. But they could have made their obvious intent more clear.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-20-2009 at 10:22 AM..

Old 05-20-2009, 10:14 AM

2,518 posts, read 1,844,514 times
I believe that all rights granted by the constitution are inalienable (including the right to bear arms...and the right to arm bears :-) Ha! j/k) and there are some rights that are not in the constitution that belong there.

I believe that all people deserve the rights to privacy, to harm themselves if not harming others and freedom from Government intrusion on ANY family issues.

Our constitution is one of the greatest documents ever written, but that doesn't mean it doesn't need an update. Otherwise we'd all be going by the Magna Carta today...

Old 05-20-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post

I believe that all people deserve the rights to privacy, to harm themselves if not harming others and freedom from Government intrusion on ANY family issues.

I think all three of those would be risky. However, we have tempered all the other amendments with interpretations that make them less literal than they seem to be, so I guess your three would be OK too.

Have you ever read any of these privacy notices? They say less than nothing. They say "We will not break the law to violate your privacy". And then they go on to say we will disregard your privacy if we suspect you of doing something that the government ought to know about. And in particular, we will be relentless in enforcing the Patriot Act, and to hell with your privacy. Everybody had more privacy before al the privacy acts, than they do now.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:54 PM

3,486 posts, read 4,938,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Seems that some people want the Constitution to state only the things they want it to. They like to pick and choose.
Hmm. Really? I suppose you are different? You want the Constitution to say things you don't want?

Old 05-20-2009, 01:21 PM

3,088 posts, read 4,542,478 times
just my (humble) opinion, but Americans appear to be a people to live in FEAR! Wasn't there a Michael Moore movie about just that? Maybe his "Columbine" movie? Can't remember, but all of our news sources, etc., seem dedicated to keeping us riled up with fear, and in a society like that, is it any wonder that so many people want guns?

Old 05-20-2009, 01:26 PM

14,969 posts, read 13,761,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Hmm. Really? I suppose you are different? You want the Constitution to say things you don't want?
Guilty as charged.

I'm no different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates