U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:01 AM

8,293 posts, read 22,470,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
No, because as we know from all the horrible news stories, there are plenty of parents out there who are not responsible enough or have enough common sense when it pertains to rearing their kids.
Sure, no doubt.

But, suffice it to say, the state is not without horrible mis-judgments of its own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 10:25 AM

5,915 posts, read 7,087,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
That's a good point.

It's going to be very interesting how this plays out. From the sounds of things, mom & son are headed to Mexico - likely for alternative treatments. If that is true, that certainly complicates the case. If the treatments work, there are still minor legal wranglings. If the treatments don't work, and the boy dies, this mom faces all kinds of potential criminal charges.

Even so, there's another aspect of this that scares me a little - and it might be unwarranted, but... Isn't it a little frightening with the government says, in essence, "We don't care what your religious beliefs are. We're telling you that this IS what you ARE going to do."
I don't think the parents in these things are ever ultimately charged. The arrest warrants are really just to get control of the situation.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:33 AM

8,293 posts, read 22,470,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
I don't think the parents in these things are ever ultimately charged. The arrest warrants are really just to get control of the situation.
You're probably right.

It IS going to be interesting to see how this whole situation plays out. Everything that happens is going to take on "larger than life" overtones.

I guess we need to stay tuned.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:34 AM

1,581 posts, read 4,771,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Sure, no doubt.

But, suffice it to say, the state is not without horrible mis-judgments of its own.
Good point

Old 05-21-2009, 02:14 PM

3,566 posts, read 4,492,645 times
Oh, mom is going to be arrested and charged. She is going to be really lucky if she is allowed to see the other 7 children that she has. That is a family that will either be split up or lose mom for a good long while. The 13 year old will get treatment but may not go home. He may be shifted into foster care. At some point, he may just run from that.

The thing of it is that we are dealing with a 13 year old that wanted to go another route. So, his family backed him. The judge is saying that he clearly does not know the ramifications of not receiving treatment.

It does not have to be something as big as cancer.

We had a school tell the parents to get a psych eval for a child and the parents did not do it. These are expensive and I don't think they believed that it was needed and honestly I don't think they had the money for it. At any rate, it did not get done and CPS stepped in and the kid became a ward.

At some point, we have to question the involvement of the government in our life and our family decisions. It is not necessary for it to be some huge problem.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:57 PM

19,081 posts, read 21,205,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
The thing of it is that we are dealing with a 13 year old that wanted to go another route. So, his family backed him. The judge is saying that he clearly does not know the ramifications of not receiving treatment.
From what I've read, this kid believes he's a medicine man or some such thing, though he doesn't know how or why he became one. I think the judge found him lacking in competence.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:47 PM

3,566 posts, read 4,492,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
From what I've read, this kid believes he's a medicine man or some such thing, though he doesn't know how or why he became one. I think the judge found him lacking in competence.

I understand that. What will happen after the child is taken into custody and is medically treated?

Old 05-22-2009, 01:01 AM

3,242 posts, read 3,021,861 times
Madeline Kara Neumann from Wisconsin died of Diabetic Ketocidosis a serious but treatable form of type 2 diabetes.

Neumanns parents said they did'nt know she had diabetes they did'nt take her to a doctor. They prayed for healing. God was'nt listening.

When does the wellbeing of a child trump their parents religious faith? Even though a Jehovah's witness can refuse life-saving blood transfusions he/she can't refuse it for their child.

How many children have to die because of their parents beliefs, I have cancer, and I know that the doctors would'nt perscribe chemotherepy unless this kid was in danger of loseing his life.

Sometimes faith is not enough, even for an 11 year old Shaman.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:57 AM

5,230 posts, read 7,323,340 times
This is a tough subject to narrow down, each case can be vastly different & should be aproached as such. But I must say at the same time that the hunger for abuse expressed by many child services is disgusting. I'v been seeing commercials lately that direct you to call them if you even remotely suspect abuse, as if the average person is qualified for such things.
I'd say pay close attention if you think something might be wrong but once you get CPS involved they are like leaches & it seems job justification trumps child welfare in most cases.

Anyway I dont think a parent should be able to deny treatment if all other avenues have been exausted, such as second opinions & things of that nature.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:05 AM

19,081 posts, read 21,205,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
I understand that. What will happen after the child is taken into custody and is medically treated?
Who knows. This is an odd case. The kid also doesn't know how to read. I'm not sure what's up with that, but he seems to be needy on several levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or