U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 10:52 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I'm anti-abortion, not anti-choice. There were plenty of choices before the pregnancy occurred and the choice of adoption exists once the woman is pregnant.
So you agree---once pregnancy occurs, you are then Anti-Choice, with respect to the abortion issue alone. Or do you prefer the term "One-Choice"?

Spoiler alert: Pro-Life and Pro-Choice are positions on the Abortion Issue. Not the birth control issue, not the ice cream flavor issue, not the order the WWE on Pay per view issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 11:00 AM

14,969 posts, read 13,766,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
So you agree---once pregnancy occurs, you are then Anti-Choice, with respect to the abortion issue alone. Or do you prefer the term "One-Choice"?

Spoiler alert: Pro-Life and Pro-Choice are positions on the Abortion Issue. Not the birth control issue, not the ice cream flavor issue, not the order the WWE on Pay per view issue.
There should be two choices - bringing the child to term and raising him/her or bringing the child to term and giving him/her up for adoption.

And I feel that supporting "choices" to prevent unwanted pregnancies in the first place and, thus, preventing abortions goes against your "anti-choice" term. BTW, some of the extreme pro-lifers on this forum would disagree that birth control and abortion are separate.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:10 AM

5,748 posts, read 10,504,424 times
Quote:
There should be two choices - bringing the child to term and raising him/her or bringing the child to term and giving him/her up for adoption.
Does that also apply to a fetus with a profound birth defect? If there's any wiggle room, you are pro-choice by default.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:12 AM

14,969 posts, read 13,766,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Does that also apply to a fetus with a profound birth defect? If there's any wiggle room, you are pro-choice by default.
I've wrestled with that a lot - I haven't made up my mind on that one.

I do support the right to an abortion in the case of rape or if the life of the woman is in danger.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:39 AM

5,748 posts, read 10,504,424 times
I've had many conversations with friends who are adamantly pro-life and assume I am, too. When it comes out that I have had an abortion and why, they cling wildly to any reason they can find to convince themselves that I am different from all those other women who have had abortions. If it weren't so sad to see their mental gymnastics, it would almost be funny.

Abortion is horrifying, no two ways about it. Eleven years later, I am still wrestling with the grief of having been through it, but I don't regret making the choice to bring an early end to my pregnancy and my child's future suffering at all. It was the right decision.

I am unapologetically pro-choice. That doesn't mean I think every abortion is appropriate, but I know unequivocally on which side of the fence I reside regarding its availability. It's not possible for me to straddle the fence anymore. Experience is an unforgiving and sometimes cruel teacher.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:47 AM

31,777 posts, read 24,007,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
I was talking to a group of people the other day. Several of them said that they had never had an abortion, and never would. They stated that they are dead-set against the idea of having an abortion. However, at the same time they said that they are very committed to the idea of being able to choose. They are as much pro-choice as they are pro-life.

Does this make sense to anyone?
If I had to make a choice, to abort or keep it grow into a human being, I would keep. But at the same time, I choose to keep my nose out of others' business. Its not my decision, and I must respect others'. I don't want others to abide by the rules I choose to follow personally, just like I don't want others to dictate my ways. So, I'm pro-life when it comes to my personal decisions, but pro-choice to respect others'.

To put it in different words, I'm just not anti-choice. Its about respecting personal decisions made by others when it affects them.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:33 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,716,763 times
Quote:
Wrong. 51% of Americans are pro-life. Only 42% are pro-choice. The rest are undecided.

More Americans “Pro-Life” Than “Pro-Choice” for First Time
Are you saying that because 51% are on one side of the debate and 42% are on the other side when they are forced to choose sides, that someone can't be both pro-choice and pro-life? Is that your thesis?

Old 05-22-2009, 12:34 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,716,763 times
Quote:
There should be two choices - bringing the child to term and raising him/her or bringing the child to term and giving him/her up for adoption..
Have you adopted any unwanted children? Not babies--babies find adoptive homes quickly. Children?

If you have not done so, your arguement is quickly defeated.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:40 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
Quote:
Oh, I get it. Having a choice means that, from the multiple options, I get to pick two choices that I would personally prefer, and you are free to choose one of them. That makes us pro-choice.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:31 PM

5,915 posts, read 7,086,025 times
It seems that you could support a woman's right to choose and hope that she chooses wisely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or