Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 08:27 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,663,953 times

Advertisements

I am absolutely against abortion for myself, but, as an American, I have no right to prevent anyone else from having a legal medical procedure.
When pro-lifers stop trying to prevent abortions and all sign up to adopt a baby themselves from a woman who wants an abortion. I will truly consider them pro-life. Life is not just staying in the womb long enough to breath on your own. It is having love and care and getting an education and growing up to be a productive citizen. Talk is cheap. Actions speak louder than words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 08:36 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,047,723 times
If a woman believes that abortion is a viable option for others, then the door is probably open for her to pursue termination given extenuating circumstances. In 1997, I also thought that I could play both sides, and then a routine ultrasound revealed the unthinkable. Until that moment, I was naive. Now I know better.

So, I ask each one of you to search deeply about this issue. When real life turns your world upside-down, do you really think you can continue straddling the fence?

Old 05-22-2009, 08:43 AM

3,196 posts, read 5,394,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
. When real life turns your world upside-down, do you really think you can continue straddling the fence?
....that depends on the circumstances....and circumstances change with time.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:48 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
During most of the Bush years, the majority of Americans were actually pro-choice. Under Obama, the majority have shifted to pro-life.

Don't call me anti-choice unless you wish to be called anti-life or pro-death. We can all use the correct terms, even when we disagree with the other side's stance.
Has there been a poll since Obama took office? Can you link to it? I don't think very many Americans think of themselves as being "under Obama", but Bush made it a point to convince people that they were "under Bush, the Decider".

If you acknowledge that you are anti-choice, I can call you that. Are you? I have not acknowledged that I am anti-life or pro-death.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:06 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,144 times
Makes sense to me. I have never had an abortion, would probably not even consider that as an option for myself (baring really unusual circumstances), but am definatly on the "pro-choice" side. This a decision that each person must make for themselves. . . not one that should be dictated!

Old 05-22-2009, 09:31 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,452,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Has there been a poll since Obama took office? Can you link to it? I don't think very many Americans think of themselves as being "under Obama", but Bush made it a point to convince people that they were "under Bush, the Decider".

If you acknowledge that you are anti-choice, I can call you that. Are you? I have not acknowledged that I am anti-life or pro-death.
The poll I linked to was from less than a month ago. Revisit that post.

I am not anti-choice, I support plenty of choices - the Pill, Plan B, condoms, spermicide, the male birth control pill if and when it comes out, IUD's, sterilization, etc. I also support reforming adoption to make it a more viable option.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:13 AM

1,477 posts, read 2,197,531 times
This is a really interesting thread. The question was whether a person can be both pro-choice and pro-life simultaneously. If you read through this thread, you can infer that many of the people who are saying that they are both -- really are pro-choice. That is, they are in favor of individuals making their own choice on this decision. How many people in this thread who define themselves as pro-life have also said that they are pro-choice? Another clue (from this thread) that people are not both pro-choice and pro-life is the rancor that you see expressed toward people that are pro-life. If you look closely in this thread, you can see "little digs" at people who define themselves as pro-life. One would wonder why these "digs" are necessary, unless, of course, the person is making them because they are strongly for choice and feel that pro-lifers are trying to deny that choice.

There is nothing wrong with being pro-choice. Of course, I say this because I am pro-choice. As I said before, this issue is not a binary one. It's complicated. Of course there are situational factors that make a purely black/white decision difficult. But, when pushed on it, I will say that I fall on the side of pro-choice. I would contend that when people are pushed on this issue, they really fall on one side or the other.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
As I said before, this issue is not a binary one. It's complicated. Of course there are circumstances that make a purely black/white decision difficult.
You make an interesting point.

Very few people are actually 100% "pro-life" or 100% "pro-choice."

Most people feel that abortion should be legal at least in certain circumstances, but there are few people who feel that abortion should be legal in any circumstance at any time during a pregnancy.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:18 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post

I am not anti-choice, I support plenty of choices - the Pill, Plan B, condoms, spermicide, the male birth control pill if and when it comes out, IUD's, sterilization, etc. I also support reforming adoption to make it a more viable option.
So you are in exactly the same camp as the Pro-Choice people, every single one of whom supports all of the same choices that you do, and would gladly make the same statement you just made. So we can put you down as Pro-Choice.

Oh, wait. There is something else. Specifically on the Abortion Issue, are you Pro-Choice (favoring the right of the mother to make a choice about Abortion, or are you Anti-Choice (opposed to the right of the mother to make a choice about Abortion)? It's fine that you think pregnant women have the right to choose chocolate or vanilla, but (correct me if I'm wrong) I think this is an abortion question.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Oh, wait. There is something else. Specifically on the Abortion Issue, are you Pro-Choice (favoring the right of the mother to make a choice about Abortion, or are you Anti-Choice (opposed to the right of the mother to make a choice about Abortion)? It's fine that you think pregnant women have the right to choose chocolate or vanilla, but (correct me if I'm wrong) I think this is an abortion question.
I'm anti-abortion, not anti-choice. There were plenty of choices before the pregnancy occurred and the choice of adoption exists once the woman is pregnant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates