U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 03:54 AM

25,107 posts, read 34,391,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
California driver laws give pedestrians the right of way. One of my biggest pet peeves are drivers not yielding the right of way to pedestrians who have a "walk" signal.
In AZ, Pedestrians have the right of way in marked crosswalks - if they are crossing with the green light.

If however they are "J-Walking" (middle of the block for instance), they are taking their life in their hands - it is not only illegal and the pedestrian can be cited but, a driver who strike the pedestrian might have a legitimate defense in court -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 04:26 AM

1,461 posts, read 4,103,736 times
Default What are your weird pet peeves?

People walking slow in a store and you are behind them. They know you are there and won't let you by.
People who flip the bird when they are driving...like I care??
People who talk real loud on the phone.
People who look away from you when you are talking to them..hello??? Over here!
Men who bend over and you see nothing but CRACK!! ugh
The landscaper for next door who takes a pee break in the neighbors yard next to a tree and thinks he is "safe".
Dunkin Donuts ALWAYS getting my order wrong.
Drive thru windows with workers who TALK TOO FAST
Static on drive thru windows...WHAT??? WHAT???
Repairmen who say they will be at your house at a certain time then show up an hour late.
Waiting in the doctor's office an hour longer than your scheduled appointment.
Clutter on my kitchen counter and....

Getting so old that I have this mamy weird pet peeves!! LOL

Old 06-10-2009, 05:04 AM

261 posts, read 839,648 times
Default A couple more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
Repairmen who say they will be at your house at a certain time then show up an hour late.
Waiting in the doctor's office an hour longer than your scheduled appointment.
I so agree, I hate making appointment since no one seems to keep them especially in the middle of nowhere like we are. Makes me laugh since in Los Angeles the reason was ALWAYS "Traffic, there was an accident" or something of the like. Here, no telling, you can go miles and miles without seeing another car, what holds them up?

I also really hold my irritation in when at a store, or any place where a line is formed to purchase something, the people who see you are heading for the line and then move quicker to get in front of you. The worst are the ones who do it and then step back to make space for the rest of their family, party, or friends who are still shopping and need to be called to the line. Step aside you neurotic fools, and selfish simpletons.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:49 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,310,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I walk everywhere, and I NEVER cross at intersections. In the middle of the block, I have to watch for cars coming from two directions. but at a corner, they can come at you from four directions. When there is a walk sign, you still have to dodge turning cars that have a green. Or people who are turning right on red, and are looking in the opposite direction to see if traffic is coming.
Having the right of way doesn't help you if you're dead.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:54 PM

38,803 posts, read 19,589,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
In AZ, Pedestrians have the right of way in marked crosswalks - if they are crossing with the green light.

If however they are "J-Walking" (middle of the block for instance), they are taking their life in their hands - it is not only illegal and the pedestrian can be cited but, a driver who strike the pedestrian might have a legitimate defense in court -
I know which is why I take pains to cross only at designated crosswalks and only cross when I have my signal. The challenge is that I often have to wait for some inconsiderate driver who just HAS to make his right hand turn at the precise moment my signal comes on.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:51 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,310,013 times
And if you hit the pedestrian in the crosswalk, and the pedestrian dies, does the judge bring the pedestrian back to life?

No.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:20 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,653,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I know which is why I take pains to cross only at designated crosswalks and only cross when I have my signal. The challenge is that I often have to wait for some inconsiderate driver who just HAS to make his right hand turn at the precise moment my signal comes on.
Here is how the lights work. The walk sign goes on at the same time that light turns green for cars that are turning into your crosswalk. The drivers are not looking at the crosswalk, they are looking at the traffic lights, so they do not see you in the crosswalk. So the light phasing releases, simultaneously, pedestrians in the crosswalk and drivers through the crosswalk. If the pedestrian waits for the car to go through, the 'don't walk' light comes on after about three seconds, and you have to wait for the next cycle, when the same thing will happen again.

I know of one place where there is a sign that says "no turn on red", and a crosswalk. So, drivers are prohibited from driving through the crosswalk until there are pedestrians in it. Then they are free to proceed. It is a T-intersection, where all cars must turn right or left, and the light is hung over the intersection, so the drivers have to watch the light which is to their left, and when it changes, drive to the right through an occupied crosswalk. Brilliant.

It is literally suicidal in America to walk across a street where there is a walk light. It is by far the most dangerous place to try to cross a street.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:20 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,807,086 times
Being at a park and seeing garbage thrown on the ground when there's a trash can less than 50 feet away

Friends and family members who use the phrase "don't let me forget," as though it'll be your fault when/if they forget something important.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:36 AM

4,179 posts, read 9,126,628 times
Pro football announcers who have to:
1)talk endlessly about each other's latest book or life-changing experience - with an occasional, "oh, look, the Raiders are in the End Zone!"
2) put "color annnouncers" on the field who are constantly harassing the players with stupid questions like "where is your mother today?"
3) Put women on the field or in the locker rooms who are obviously more enamored of the players' bodies than have knowledge of the game;
4) Can't understand the simplest ref's signals, and instead wait for a 'translation'.

There's a GAME going on - shaddup unless you have something pertinent to say. And put the cameras' focus back on the field, not on some simpering mindless commentator or some sweet thing's bosom with a big mike in her hands between them. You're not famous, you're annoying.

Any one who is enthused about NASCAR. Cars going in an endless circle at full speed, with helmets and protective gear and fire extinguishers on board, are not as interesting as the folks who do it every day, over wide open stretches of road, with on and off ramps and lousy drivers, with no protection or sponsorship, during rush hour. Shaddup.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:19 PM

8,668 posts, read 19,932,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post

I fume over the way so many parents parent these days treating the kids like they are royalty and deserve everyone else to bow down to them like they are the only ones who count in the world.
I know what you're saying, but on the other end of the spectrum, it really bothers me to be out somewhere and see people treating their children rudely and harshly. (I know children need discipline and need it badly, but this is not what I'm referring to.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or