U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-13-2009, 11:56 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,803 posts, read 19,564,606 times
Reputation: 35842

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
At corners, it's NEVER "safe" unless there are no cars. Otherwise you have turn lanes that may want to go.
Ok ... So what do you suggest a pedestrian who needs to catch a bus do to safely cross the street then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-13-2009, 11:58 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,803 posts, read 19,564,606 times
Reputation: 35842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
People that say "I know right?"
I know right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2009, 12:37 AM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 40,261,063 times
Reputation: 10915
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Ok ... So what do you suggest a pedestrian who needs to catch a bus do to safely cross the street then?
Hopefully, there's a decent size median. I cross in the middle. Jaywalking, yes, but the cars are all coming from the same direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2009, 01:42 AM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,803 posts, read 19,564,606 times
Reputation: 35842
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Hopefully, there's a decent size median. I cross in the middle. Jaywalking, yes, but the cars are all coming from the same direction.
I see your point but unfortunately not all streets in my area have an island in the middle and traffic moves really fast to attempt crossing without one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2009, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Reputation: 35864
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Ok ... So what do you suggest a pedestrian who needs to catch a bus do to safely cross the street then?
Cross in the middle of the block, where you will not be blindsided by turning cars coming from four different directions while the drivers are looking the opposite way to see if it is safe to turn.

In a central business district, where there are a lot of pedestrians, the motorists are aware of them, and there are several people all crossing together at each walk sign.

But take this test. When driving on a fairly busy thoroughfare in the suburbs, each time you stop at a traffic light, ask yourself what it would be like for a pedestrian to try to get across the street at that intersection, even if there is a walk-sign. Next time you go to the mall, park on the opposite side of the road, and see what it is like trying to walk over to the mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2009, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 40,261,063 times
Reputation: 10915
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Cross in the middle of the block, where you will not be blindsided by turning cars coming from four different directions while the drivers are looking the opposite way to see if it is safe to turn.

In a central business district, where there are a lot of pedestrians, the motorists are aware of them, and there are several people all crossing together at each walk sign.

But take this test. When driving on a fairly busy thoroughfare in the suburbs, each time you stop at a traffic light, ask yourself what it would be like for a pedestrian to try to get across the street at that intersection, even if there is a walk-sign. Next time you go to the mall, park on the opposite side of the road, and see what it is like trying to walk over to the mall.
I think some people have a pet peeve against people who don't drive, or walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2009, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Warwick, RI
2,546 posts, read 3,856,486 times
Reputation: 4038
Pet peeves:

1. People who take their dogs to public parks that have "dog parks", and then let them crap on the public beach anyway.

2. People who smoke in the car with their kids in the back seat (should be charged with child abuse IMO).

3. That nosey neighbor who thinks the entire neighborhoods business is her own.

4. People who leave food remains in the sink after cooking or washing the dishes - clean the sink too! (Hope my wife doesn't see this, lol!)

5. And last but not least - people who don't replace the toilet paper roll!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2009, 10:55 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,803 posts, read 19,564,606 times
Reputation: 35842
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I think some people have a pet peeve against people who don't drive, or walk.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. I really think that drivers should be more considerate of pedestrians because not everyone can drive or should be driving. I happen to be someone who does not have a drivers license and it isn't easy relying on public transit especially when my commute time is double what it would be driving the same distance. I do think respect should be a two way street so pedestrians should not take excessive time crossing the street and should not dart out in the middle of the street unless the street is clear of vehicular traffic as this unnecessarily places your life in jeopardy. It's all about common courtesy between pedestrians and drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2009, 10:56 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,803 posts, read 19,564,606 times
Reputation: 35842
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Cross in the middle of the block, where you will not be blindsided by turning cars coming from four different directions while the drivers are looking the opposite way to see if it is safe to turn.

In a central business district, where there are a lot of pedestrians, the motorists are aware of them, and there are several people all crossing together at each walk sign.

But take this test. When driving on a fairly busy thoroughfare in the suburbs, each time you stop at a traffic light, ask yourself what it would be like for a pedestrian to try to get across the street at that intersection, even if there is a walk-sign. Next time you go to the mall, park on the opposite side of the road, and see what it is like trying to walk over to the mall.
I think this is a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2009, 11:05 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 40,261,063 times
Reputation: 10915
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by this. I really think that drivers should be more considerate of pedestrians because not everyone can drive or should be driving. I happen to be someone who does not have a drivers license and it isn't easy relying on public transit especially when my commute time is double what it would be driving the same distance. I do think respect should be a two way street so pedestrians should not take excessive time crossing the street and should not dart out in the middle of the street unless the street is clear of vehicular traffic as this unnecessarily places your life in jeopardy. It's all about common courtesy between pedestrians and drivers.
Oh, I wasn't referring to you. No worries. I understand that you use alternative transportation. I've gotten plenty of attitudes from people who think EVERYONE should drive: "we're a car culture!", etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top