U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2009, 09:27 PM

451 posts, read 1,097,361 times

Advertisements

Will this be our downfall. Everybody is jumping into camps and saying the other side is wrong and I'm right. We have a strong dissent in America on the way we feel about things. With our political views, religious views, racial and class views. This is whats going to be our demise not some guy driving a truck into a city and blowing it up. America was founded basically so people can do whatever they want as long as they aren't bothering other people. As long as we continue to peek into others lives and worry about what they are doing we are on a collision course with failure. My question for CD is what way can we avoid this course we're on or if you disagree why? I would post this in the Political Fourm, but too many knuckleheads there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 09:50 PM

29,633 posts, read 31,948,941 times
Yes. And the worst part is we are often being polarized by invented controversies. Politicians need to rile up a base and the best way to do that is to make them afraid of the others. The ones who aren't like them, the bad ones. If there isn't a wedge issue they just make one up. Remember the "war on Christmas"? Everything, I MEAN EVERYTHING, is turning into an us vs them issue. It's scary.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:18 PM

3,706 posts, read 3,032,296 times
I have been posting on this forum for a few days on the Monsanto/evil question, the absolute unabashed, in your face responses, are getting to be in the 50% percent range. The thread was turning toward a discussion on corporate behavior and how it came to be highly criticised. Yes, the country as a whole has changed, mostly due to the advent of "bluster radio", wherein the host bashes and "creams" the opponent, kind of like radio wrestling. It is this style of discourse that has the young males in its grasp, some old ones too. It's not what people say that bothers me but moreover, how they say it. Jerry Springer knows that his show would hold little interest for the lumpen prole if it were'nt for the actual fighting and kick butt kind of heros that he has become known for. It would be sad to think that America has dumbed down to the point that a decent conversation cannot take place, you will always be waiting for the hot head to prevail and commence to some violent behavior to make a point. It's the violent polarity that has me worried, in Germany it was the Friekorps, (freecorp) that carried out the early violence that came to characterize the Nazi party years later. Historically, nations that became polarized politically, or theologically, have had a rough time of it, American's need to find their common ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates