Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 10:47 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times

Advertisements

Bascially I tyhhnik get back to the when we had religion and its mrals.Get rid of teh very one for themselfs attitude of the secular world which has just made the world worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 10:58 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Basically I think get back to the when we had religion and its morals.Get rid of the "every one for himself" attitude of the secular world which has just made the world worse.
There is a part of the world that has exactly the same idea you have. Islam. They will warmly welcome your support.

(I took the liberty of running your quote through spell-check. I hope I got it right. It was quite amusing to see the spell-check results. Your spelling of "think" returned two suggestions: "ethnicity" and "Baryshnikov".)

Last edited by jtur88; 05-23-2009 at 11:10 AM..

Old 05-23-2009, 11:28 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
I think ridding the world of organized religion would be a great start.
Wow, that's pretty intolerant.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:45 AM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Here is most of a reply I made this morning on another thread. I think it is a good answer to this OP:

The per-capita GDP of the whole world is $6.500 per year. Everybody in the world can live with dignity on $500 a month,and there is enough for them to do so, but they are not allowed to, because they have no control over the maldistribution of the wealth. Half the people are forced to live on less than $100 a month (many les than $100 a year) while Americans (and others) watch 48-inch plasma screen TV with 700 channels that they so richly deserve because they were born in a country where every person is guaranteed a million dollars in a lifetime (three times the global average) without ever doing a day's work. And two million dollars assured for doing a modicum of simple, unskilled work.

The world produces enough wealth for every person now alive to live in a household with enough income to assure decent food, shelter, health and dignity.

A great deal of manipuation, even brute force, by people with power has gone into creating the unbalanced world as we find it now. Why would it be so "wrong" (even evil) for people with power to manipulate the world economy in a direction that would reduce the suffering of so many of us? Why is it so wrong to think that all the people could benefit from the gains of the sum of their effort?

Yes, I understand what you are saying. And although I spout off a whole bunch about individual freedom, at the same time I agree with much of what you say here. I think the problems you point out lead right back to this ‘power over others’ issue that I keep bringing up.

When I advocate individual liberty, I’m not advocating living in a cocoon. The way I ‘attack’ the same issue that you are discussing here is to point out that unless we can get rid of this engrained ‘power complex,’ empathy for others just can’t happen--at least not in a genuine sense. This may ruffle some feathers here, but I think two BIG problems with our American society are its overly competitive nature and its excess. Too many people want the whole pie (or ten of them) for themselves when one slice would fulfill all their needs. Yes, you may have a right to that whole pie, but what the hell for? To what end? Having a right to do something doesn’t make it the right thing to do.

Personal freedom need not be synonymous with over competitiveness and gluttony (I would call those vices of a free person). I think if we became more of a cooperative society and less of a competitive society, great things could and would follow.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:05 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,352,440 times
I think that if everyone would just stop forcing their own way of life onto others, and stop being the hardcore anti everything society that we have become, we could better the world. Most people are too tight-lipped to say what they really want to say. So they resort to what the general society dubs "normal" just so they can fit in and feel like they belong. I stride myself on thinking outside the box. I don't do things to please society, I do things because it makes me feel good.

every state, city, and neighborhood has their own society belief system. Most general views of the worlds society thinks its okay to force your way of life onto others, yet they don't want you to do the same to them.

We live in a society where it is ok to take the rights away from a group of people as long as no one does the same to the group we are in. So, say we get rid of religion...I dont agree with it, but its a good comparison.

So government gets rid of organized religion becasue most religions force their views onto others. This would make some people happy. Now all of a sudden the government decided that sports, and concerts should be banned as well becasue the common group believes in similar things and could spawn a religion. No body would allow any of these things to happen, why because you are taking away our freedoms. You can't make a free and peaceful world by taking away freedoms.

Both groups would ban together and fight it. It weird how we all fight against one another, then when our own freedoms get attacked we ban together. On 9/11 this country couldnt have been stronger, on that day everyone was equal. Its sad and pathetic that it takes such actions to make us come together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates