U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 11:20 PM

1,779 posts, read 2,037,515 times

Advertisements

I am curious to know some ideas that you think could change the world for the better.

Serious answers only please...How could to world finally become equal and well a better place to live? Please constructive, non-hate posts only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 11:47 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,707,506 times
I think ridding the world of organized religion would be a great start.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
I think ridding the world of organized religion would be a great start.
Care to elaborate...If they arent doing any harm...i see no real harm. But, why would this help?

Old 05-23-2009, 12:25 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,251,619 times
I do not think anything can change the current state of things. Humans will always find a way to be hateful of other Humans. Take religion, the hate may come in the form of geography, or a multitude of other things.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:29 AM

10,296 posts, read 9,975,609 times
Ridding the world of intolerance and the lust for power over others' thoughts, beliefs, and actions.

The allowance of each individual to live his or her life as he/she sees fit, to believe as he/she sees fit, and to think as he/she sees fit as long as it is not stifling those same rights for others. In essence, the minding of one’s own business. Freedom of thought. Freedom of religion/spirituality/philosophy. Freedom of will.

Mutual freedom. Mutual respect.

Until man’s lust for power over his fellow man is extinguished, their can never be a just social system.

Last edited by ChrisC; 05-23-2009 at 01:15 AM.. Reason: speeling misteak

Old 05-23-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Ridding the world of intolerance and the lust for power over others' thoughts, beliefs, and actions.

The allowance of each individual to live his or her life as he/she sees fit, to be believe as he/she sees fit, and to think as he/she sees fit as long as it is not stifling those same rights for others. In essence, the minding of oneís own business. Freedom of thought. Freedom of religion/spirituality/philosophy. Freedom of will.

Mutual freedom. Mutual respect.

Until manís lust for power over his fellow man is extinguished, their can never be a just social system.
I completely agree...But there has to be a way to get people to do this...Everyone wants to be left alone...I don't get it.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:50 AM

15,616 posts, read 9,158,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
I completely agree...But there has to be a way to get people to do this...Everyone wants to be left alone...I don't get it.
People want to be able to do as they please, but they also tend to want to impose their will on others. I agree, though, that something small and seemingly simple, like considering other people before speaking/acting, could go a long way in remedying some of the ills in this world. For example - do the needs of your ego outweigh the comfort of those around you?

Old 05-23-2009, 06:08 AM

4,179 posts, read 9,115,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
You are completely mistaken. Everyone does NOT want to be left alone - many do, but many more want to enforce their thoughts, beliefs, and life-attitudes on others. The neighbors who keep track of each others' doings, the folks who stand before tiny and large city councils and demand that their neighbors be regulated to suit their ideals, the corporations who want more power to enforce their particular products, the politicians who take campaign money and sell not only their souls but their constituents' souls for legislation that helps the few out of the pockets of the many, the politicians who demand that we MUST "spread democracy", by force if necessary, to countries and peoples who don't want it.... the list goes on and on. And there's always a rallying cry - "Let's clean up this neighborhood!", "It's for the CHILDREN!", "WE are better and smarter and more progressive - we have to SHOW THEM THE WAY!" Not by example, oh, no - but by legislative and even physical force.

IMHO, the only way to 'fix the world' is to start locally, by putting people into office based on their laissez faire attitudes ("hands off" - you leave me alone, I leave you alone) and REASON not emotion. Then voting them out the minute they take a campaign contribution from any corporate or political body, or attempt legislation that invades and tramples one group's rights while promoting another group. Since that will never happen -1) people vote on EMOTION not REASON, 2) people vote for the person who promises them the most, not the person who promises to leave them alone and make others leave them alone too - it won't ever happen. People don't want to be left alone to succeed or fail based on their own abilities and challenges, they want safety nets and help and assistance and protection - and they always believe that "the other guy" is too stupid to take care of himself anyway.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:00 AM

3,700 posts, read 3,026,594 times
As an older man, I have seen the plight of humankind worsened by all those negative attributes that humans seem to hold onto despite the pain and suffering they bring. I have known for some time now that we all don't evolve in the same way, some societies seem to be in a prehistoric state, and their social constructs are in keeping with what we could expect of an earlier time in human history. The modern society is still driven by greed, power, and lust, and that goes a long way toward explaining the possibility that we might have a few million years to go in our spiritual evolution. I guess what I'm driving at is the fact of our failure to improve ourselves, one day at a time, just to let go of the petty pretentiousness, having some empathy, refrain from being judgemental, these are, after all, the tennants of one of our mainstream religions. A case in point; Bibical teachings bring up all that God disaproves of, but disallows the follower from judging people on that basis. Do Christians follow that command to not be judgemental? No , they don't. I would think that actually following the commandments might be a place to start changing ourselves for the better. Religion when used as a club is the one very obvious reason we see so much hate around the world. Most religions follow the notion of brotherhood and peace as their base principle, but it's not the religion that needs to change, it's the refusal to follow those principles that needs to be called into question.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:30 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Here is most of a reply I made this morning on another thread. I think it is a good answer to this OP:

The per-capita GDP of the whole world is $6.500 per year. Everybody in the world can live with dignity on $500 a month,and there is enough for them to do so, but they are not allowed to, because they have no control over the maldistribution of the wealth. Half the people are forced to live on less than $100 a month (many les than $100 a year) while Americans (and others) watch 48-inch plasma screen TV with 700 channels that they so richly deserve because they were born in a country where every person is guaranteed a million dollars in a lifetime (three times the global average) without ever doing a day's work. And two million dollars assured for doing a modicum of simple, unskilled work.

The world produces enough wealth for every person now alive to live in a household with enough income to assure decent food, shelter, health and dignity.

A great deal of manipuation, even brute force, by people with power has gone into creating the unbalanced world as we find it now. Why would it be so "wrong" (even evil) for people with power to manipulate the world economy in a direction that would reduce the suffering of so many of us? Why is it so wrong to think that all the people could benefit from the gains of the sum of their effort?

Last edited by jtur88; 05-23-2009 at 11:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or