U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 10:36 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,590,043 times

Advertisements

It's a terrible strain to be stupid all the time. Sometimes I have to take a break.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:17 AM

13,624 posts, read 10,701,709 times
it's all about the genes!!!! nature is not perfect niether is god. do you realy think a man or a woman would forgo a sex transplant just by choice.. you got to have some messed up genes to have a penis fabricated from your leg or a vagina placed where you penis was..it's got to be a bialogical calling.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:22 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,590,043 times
Homosexuals and Transsexuals are not the same thing. Now you know. But thank you for your opinion on transsexuals.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:53 AM

3,388 posts, read 5,545,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
I think my dog is homosexual. At least, she exhibits homosexual tendencies such as mounting other dogs. Mounting! Female dogs aren't supposed to do that! However, I don't know if she was born with it or it is a result of her spaying. Anyway, it doesn't seem like she's chosen to be gay.

Sex is only one reason why dogs mount.

Another reason is to assert their dominance. You dog is more than likely not gay, but she is a bossy butt who wants to be in charge, lol.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:33 AM

20,017 posts, read 20,523,664 times
I am hetero and always have been. There was not choice in being attracted to men or women. I just was. I could not change my mind about it. I could chose to have sex with a woman, but I can not chose which gender I desire to have sex with.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:38 AM

9,286 posts, read 16,136,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
As a gay man I can say without equivocation that it is not a choice. I started becoming attracted to boys when I was entering puberty. Before that I didn't have a strong concept of gay, but I was always teased at school because I was different from the other boys, a little more effeminate and a little more senstive, i didn't think of it though, i just was worried about candy, dinky cars and barbie dolls.

I think it is part of me, it is biological. Was it genetic, hormonal imbalance in the womb - i don't know but I just can't think back to any point of my childhood, adolescence or early adulthood and thought to myself, i'm just going to feel attracted to boys - its much much more inate than that. Sexual identity doesn't just happen, it takes years to come to grips with it, but my core attraction has always been to the same sex. I simply as a gay man, could not fathom entering into a relationship with a woman or being sexually attracted to her. It just won't happen, it can't happen for me.

Even assuming it isn't a choice, which i clearly believe it is not - what would it matter anyway? If i choose to have consentual sex with a man what difference does it make. Making a choice to smoke is more damaging to the individual and society than the choice to be homosexual - but i think we would all agree it would border on lunacy to persecute smokers for their addiction.

Consider this: We don't have to look far in the animal kingdom to find sexual diversity. Any species that is not asexual engages in sexual diversity - heterosexuality, homosexuality and bisexuality. Science is documenting this and all signs point to the fact that sexual deversity is the natural order of things, not heterosexuality exclusively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I am hetero and always have been. There was not choice in being attracted to men or women. I just was. I could not change my mind about it. I could chose to have sex with a woman, but I can not chose which gender I desire to have sex with.
two of the best explanations i have heard in a VERY long time..... as a straight woman who has had many many gay friends over the years, i have tried on more than one occasion to explain these concepts to some of the denser, straight people i have known..... with little success......

Old 05-27-2009, 11:02 AM

14,174 posts, read 22,509,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah but I don't believe anyone is born homosexual either. There is no evidence of this. However, I do believe the environment you live in when you are growing up plays a role in determining your orientation and lifestyle. I'll believe that when they do prove there is a gene. I wouldn't call it a phobia though.
My environment: Mother, father, 2 brothers... raised in an Evangelical Christian family in a conservative suburb, never knew a gay person, never molested, never harmed by my parents, didn't even know what gay was until around age 15. I'm gay... so what in my environment "turned me gay"? Was it that Barry Manilow 8-track my mom had in her Pacer

Old 05-27-2009, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,102 times
I have to contribute to this based on my own experience. I'm heterosexual -male. Sexuality fascinates me (this is in addition to the obvious reasons). It amazes me how I would love to be physically close to a perfect stranger (i.e. an attractive female) who I've only seen for a millisecond. I don't care if I hate everything that person stands for. I don't even want to detail the things I would like to do. It's such a strong feeling it drives me crazy. I am married and as a human with a human brain, I realize this is not socially acceptable so I don't act out on these thoughts. It also does not interfere with having appropriate friendships with women. Personally from a friendship standpoint, I like women more than men but that's not what we're talking about here.

On the other side of the coin, getting close to a man, even the most incredibility good looking nicest guy in the world, is not something I would ever want to do (outside of a hand shake and a hug greeting). I have a hard enough time comprehending why women are attracted to men. We're coincided, hairy and at times smell bad (I never do). Any way I digress.

There is no way this is a choice. This is overpowering biology. Just like anything with the human body that can go off in different directions, sexuality must be one of them.

Gay people are capable of love, monogamy, commitment just as well as any heterosexual. They deserve the same life as I.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:22 AM

5,230 posts, read 7,323,340 times
It may not be a conscious choice but its certainly a learned behavior to some degree, as is all sexual activity. To a large degree sex is about domination & submission just as it is with animals. Perhaps we are mistaken by saying things like folks who dislike homosexuality are neanderthals, maybe the truth is that homosexuality is simply people expressing primitive emotions that most of us manage to restrain. In that case its certainly a choice.

But in the end does it really matter? Who even cares? Why care?

Old 05-27-2009, 11:49 AM

31 posts, read 48,132 times
Default Define homosexuality

Doesn't any sexuality depend on the person involved being engaged in sexual activity? I see nothing wrong with loving or living with a member of the same sex. It's having sexual relations I would think that makes a person homosexual or heterosexual, therefor, isn't it a choice?

Last edited by silvermist37; 05-27-2009 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or