U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 04:10 PM

31,777 posts, read 24,007,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
We do know children look to the parent of the same sex to find out how to act in the world and they copy them. That is how we learn about life.
Interesting. Explain, how person in a family couldn't be more straight while her younger sister is a lesbian?

Your rhetoric might apply to those who believe that saying something a few times really makes it happen, can change a lie into a truth and vice versa. Or, someone so insecure that they fear themselves showing up on the radar as the society opens up.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:45 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

We do know children look to the parent of the same sex to find out how to act in the world and they copy them. That is how we learn about life.
Well, I never saw my parents having sex, with each other or with anybody else, so I doubt it that had much influence on my sexual preference.

My mother probably influenced my character more than my father did, but if that made me homosexual or transsexual, I'm really in industrial-strength denial.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:10 PM

61 posts, read 152,370 times
Homosexuals are discriminated against. So why would they choose to inflict that on themselves. Also, a lot of homo men "look gay" so has to be inborn.

What man would VOLUNTARILY choose to dabble in women's underwear/lipstick? Again, inborn!

Old 05-30-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirlwow View Post

What man would VOLUNTARILY choose to dabble in women's underwear/lipstick? Again, inborn!

Crossdressers are not homosexuals. Many homosexuals assume crossdressing patterns of behavior, but in general, children who dabble in cross-dressing before puberty are no more likely than anyone else to become homosexuals as adults, although nearly all continue to have crossdressing impulses until and through adulthood, and often apply it to some degree to their sexuality, which remains heterosexual..

In general, crossdressing males are playing out a rebellion against social taboos. Crossdressing females is a non-existent concept, because there is no social taboo against women wearing men's clothing, and women have to find other ways to rebel against social norms, such as anorexia or promiscuity. Similarly, promiscuity is never perceived as a male "condition".

Old 05-30-2009, 03:36 PM

8,309 posts, read 33,335,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballakev View Post
Explain to me how homosexuality is not chosen. Where is the biological evidence? From what I have learned in some of my Biology courses, there is not clear cut biological explanation for homosexuality. So in that sense, how is it that homosexuality would be considered normal by organizations such as the APA and other Psychological organizations? What research do they have to deem this normal?
Question for you...

I'm assuming that you are straight; if that is indeed the case I want you to honestly ask yourself if you could choose to be gay. If you think that you could, then I think you should honestly ask yourself if you are certain that you are straight.

I don't really see how it could be a choice. You can choose to live against your nature or in accordance with it, but I don't think you can choose your orientation.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:43 PM

285 posts, read 458,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Some evidence that there are biological reasons:

Brain Study Shows Differences Between Gays, Straights - washingtonpost.com -
Yes I learned about this in my Neurobiology class.

But such research is fraught with uncertainty, and it could not rule out that the findings were the result of changes that occurred in response to experiences and behaviors, rather than being inborn.

This is what my professor stated as well about the research findings.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:46 PM

285 posts, read 458,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Question for you...

I'm assuming that you are straight; if that is indeed the case I want you to honestly ask yourself if you could choose to be gay. If you think that you could, then I think you should honestly ask yourself if you are certain that you are straight.

I don't really see how it could be a choice. You can choose to live against your nature or in accordance with it, but I don't think you can choose your orientation.
I cannot see myself practicing or choosing to follow the homosexual lifestyle. What interests me though are bisexuals who are able to choose between the two but then again I understand that they are different phenomenons.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:25 PM

95 posts, read 278,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballakev View Post
Explain to me how homosexuality is not chosen. Where is the biological evidence? From what I have learned in some of my Biology courses, there is not clear cut biological explanation for homosexuality. So in that sense, how is it that homosexuality would be considered normal by organizations such as the APA and other Psychological organizations? What research do they have to deem this normal?
To be entirely honest, they have not isolated any "gay gene". Most of their evidence for things that they claim to be genetic (alcoholism, obesity etc) do not have any cold hard proof. Therefore, I believe all of those things are behavioral-- not genetic. Essentially, they do family studies and find strong prevalence for those traits within that particular blood line. That surely just reiterates the fact that it could be behavioral, coincidental, or even genetic. Until they do isolate those genes, they do not have any concrete answers.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:25 PM

We're still waiting for a volunteer to be gay for 24 hours and come back and tell us how that can be chosen. Just think of the money you could make on your book contract.

We're also still waiting for someone to find just one single blog from someone in which the homosexual states that he/she chose to be gay. This gay conspiracy, in which millions insist that they did not choose it, how come not a single whistle-blower to come out and say "I chose it".

All your "its a choice" arguments will continue to fall on deaf ears, until you can find just one case of just one homosexual admitting that it was a chooice.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:09 PM

16,701 posts, read 18,917,881 times
This thread is sort of idiotic based on that someone thinks that there can only be ONE explanation for homosexuality... I am sure there is some genetic component to SOME homosexuality, however there are also other means to identifying one's sexuality... genetics being one of dozens of other reasons... attempting to pigeon-hole things is the first wrong step to finding out a reason...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or