U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2009, 09:31 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,646,317 times

Advertisements

'I would like to think a preacher will preach God words out of the kindness of his heart,instead of a paycheck. If a preacher give most of his time to church,he should be compensated,but not that much.'

REPLY: So many people are under the impression that a Senior Pastor of your typical local c hurch is basically a Sunday job with a couple of duties during the week . You would be shocked to see the amount of work, duties, responsibilities the Pastor of a Church has. It is not a Sunday preaching job . Just like the rest of us, the Pastor has to make a living, provide for himself, his family, put kids thru school, often has to provide for his own transportation/housing , personal food, vacations, and all the other expenses associated with being alive. He normally gets a Clergy Retirement Pension and a freewill donation for doing Weddings/Funerals .... but nearly all Pastors have to live frugally on their salary.

In the case of Mega Churches (IE : attendence over 10,000 weekly) , if he were paid 1.5 million dollars , it would ruffle the feathers of just about everyone in the congregation . I personally would not regularly attend such a Church unless I knew for sure he donated much of that money to good worthy causes that helped others and that he didnt flaunt his money .

Last edited by RVlover; 10-09-2009 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 11:02 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,479,423 times
I think what it all boils down to, is that the group that pays a person that much to preach, and the person that takes it, are not a true church in the first place.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:57 AM

8,293 posts, read 22,518,770 times
I'm going to ask this question for about the 4th time.

Does anybody know of any local church pastor, anywhere, who is paid $1 million or more annually?

Old 10-09-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I'm going to ask this question for about the 4th time.

Does anybody know of any local church pastor, anywhere, who is paid $1 million or more annually?
Benny Hinn and Kenneth Copeland immediately come to mind. They would be 'local' if they were in your particular vicinity to Oneself.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
I think what it all boils down to, is that the group that pays a person that much to preach, and the person that takes it, are not a true church in the first place.
Church - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . The description of a Church in this site, is not related to the Pastors salary. Why wouldnt it be 'a true Church' ?

Old 10-09-2009, 02:03 PM

9,444 posts, read 15,016,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Whips View Post
Just a question,not to get to controversial on the subject. Religion can cause heated conversation. Is it fair for a mega church to pay these salary? Would you attend a church that pays a million or two for salary?

I would like to think a preacher will preach God words out of the kindness of his heart,instead of a paycheck. If a preacher give most of his time to church,he should be compensated,but not that much. I think a normal salary is ok,no more than the average members salaries whom pays their tithes. Example, a pastor with a 1.5 million salary,but the people who attends the church live in stricken neighborhoods,which the church itself is located in a poor neighborhood.
I'm curious, do you actually know any preachers that make so much money? Are you talking about preachers like Joel Osteen, because the church might do really really well to pay this kind of salary. I think 90% of preachers don't make nearly as much.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:05 PM

9,444 posts, read 15,016,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
I certainly don't think that the minster of a church should be paid a million dollar salary. The ones I have the most respect for do not take a huge salary despite the huge amount of cash their minsitry brings in. Billy Graham, for example, has always taken a modest salary and has lived in the same house for like 50 years. Same for Rick Warren, pastor of the Saddleback Church out in California and author of the best seller "The Purpose Driven Life". Most people in Chrisitian churches are asked to tithe (give 10% of their income to the church). Warren reverse tithes. He doesn't take a salary from the church anymore since his books have been succesful and from that book money he gives 90% to the ministry and other charitable organizations and only keeps 10% to live on. Joel Osteen also doesn't take a salary from his mega church either and lives off his book money (I'm sure he's made a lot off of that, but he still gives a lot of it away). IMO, ministers/evangelists like these guys are doing it the right way.
I love Rick Warren. Feels good that he is doing the right thing. So, what pastors make 1 million, or was it just a hypothetical question?

Old 10-09-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
Benny Hinn and Kenneth Copeland immediately come to mind. They would be 'local' if they were in your particular vicinity to Oneself.
Yeah, but do we know that they make that much?

Besides, neither of them are so much a Pastor as they are entertainers.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I love Rick Warren. Feels good that he is doing the right thing. So, what pastors make 1 million, or was it just a hypothetical question?
Right. I've heard this about Rick Warren many times. He "reverse tithes" - so he gives away 90% of his income and lives off 10%.

But it's important also to note that the overwhelming majority of his income does not come from the church he pastors. It comes from book sales, etc. (I don't know the exact figures).

So really, in the case of Rick Warren or Joel Osteen, how differently are they living than the pastor of a small local church that doesn't receive a a salary from his church - yet he still makes a good living from some other source of income?

Old 10-09-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Yeah, but do we know that they make that much?

Besides, neither of them are so much a Pastor as they are entertainers.
Benny Hinn . Looks like Benny gets bonus royalties from his books ALONE to the tune of $500,000 .

He does put on a good Dog and Pony Show you must admit ; I miss the days when he used to throw his pure White Jacket at people and theyd do carpet time immediately ! As for teaching...hes come up with some of THE most heretical teachings known to a Televangelist : Woman originally to have children out of her SIDE , Adam could fly like the Birds or to the Moon, All Homosexuals were to be 'taken out' by God in 1997 , the Red Sea didnt consist of walls of water but solid ICE when Moses led the people across , et al...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or