U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2009, 04:02 PM

1,895 posts, read 4,039,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Whips View Post
Article I found. I saw this guy on TV the other day.

Peter Popoff - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to Charity Navigator, in FYE 2004, Peter Popoff received $548,167 as president of his organization and the Peter Popoff Ministries raised $16,220,066 in revenue in FYE 2004.[18] Then in FYE 2005, Popoff received $628,732, his wife Elizabeth received $203,029, his son received $182,166, and daughter received $176,290 with $23,556,469 in revenue.[18] These figures are from IRS documents, which "only outline the millions of dollars people give Popoff's organization in the US." [11]
He was exposed as a complete fraud years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 04:16 PM

782 posts, read 3,431,994 times
Default Remember this guy

Redirector

Trinity United Church of Christ is building Barack Obama's controversial former pastor a million-dollar Tinley Park home complete with an elevator, whirlpool, butler's pantry, circular driveway and four-car garage, building plans show

Old 10-09-2009, 04:21 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,457,074 times
Quote:
Redirector

Trinity United Church of Christ is building Barack Obama's controversial former pastor a million-dollar Tinley Park home complete with an elevator, whirlpool, butler's pantry, circular driveway and four-car garage, building plans show
It's not like I'm a fan of Jeremiah Wright, and I do think his house is pretty darned extravagant. However, in some parts of the country it doesn't take much of a house to hit a million dollars.

Also - and this seems really weird to me - there are some of these "pastors" who get ultra-extravagant things given to them by their adoring fans. Things like luxury cars, houses, jets, etc. Seems kind of weird to me, but, oh well...

Old 10-09-2009, 04:25 PM

782 posts, read 3,431,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Thanks for that information.

I've never heard of this Meeks guy. But it looks to me like this is just plain old simple fraud.

I wonder if there won't be a lot of court room appearances in this guy's future.
This article wasn't about Rev.J meeks in chicago, but about P. Meeks church in Northeast Rochestor. I wanted to clear that up.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:33 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,457,074 times
Quote:
This article wasn't about Rev.J meeks in chicago, but about P. Meeks church in Northeast Rochestor. I wanted to clear that up.
Oh, okay.

Well, since I've never heard of either one of them, I guess I'm still in the dark.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:40 PM

1,310 posts, read 2,640,118 times
Quote:
Article I found. I saw this guy on TV the other day.

Peter Popoff - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to Charity Navigator, in FYE 2004, Peter Popoff received $548,167 as president of his organization and the Peter Popoff Ministries raised $16,220,066 in revenue in FYE 2004.[18] Then in FYE 2005, Popoff received $628,732, his wife Elizabeth received $203,029, his son received $182,166, and daughter received $176,290 with $23,556,469 in revenue.[18] These figures are from IRS documents, which "only outline the millions of dollars people give Popoff's organization in the US." [11]
Popoff is one of THE biggest Frauds, ever. He went off aire for quite awhile but is back on. James Randi thoroughly exposed him for claiming he knew who was sick, where they lived, etc... and pretended he was hearing from God. See this interesting video clip : James Randi Exposes Deceit & Deceptions Within The Ministry of Peter & Elizabeth Popoff Video

Old 10-09-2009, 04:43 PM

597 posts, read 1,129,562 times
Quote:
Just a question,not to get to controversial on the subject. Religion can cause heated conversation. Is it fair for a mega church to pay these salary? Would you attend a church that pays a million or two for salary?

I would like to think a preacher will preach God words out of the kindness of his heart,instead of a paycheck. If a preacher give most of his time to church,he should be compensated,but not that much. I think a normal salary is ok,no more than the average members salaries whom pays their tithes. Example, a pastor with a 1.5 million salary,but the people who attends the church live in stricken neighborhoods,which the church itself is located in a poor neighborhood.
I preacher with a 1.5 milion salary never will be my pastor. He is a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:41 PM

14 posts, read 15,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
You and I cannot say 'how much' he loves his Porche and if he has made it an idol ; only God truly knows the heart. It is true there are wolves in sheeps clothing today vis-a-vis Televangelists and we can get a good idea as to the kind of fruit they produce ; but that doesnt mean ALL Televangelists who appear in $500 Suits and have pure white teeth fall into that category. Further, there are alot of examples in Scripture where very Godly Men are financially wealthy such as Solomon, King David, and Job .... plus The Book of Ecclesiastes tells us if God has blessed us materially , that we should enjoy that . God desires us to find joy and happiness in the material things we have , only not to make them an idol unto Ourselves. While i dont own a Porsche, I do own a 2006 Corvette which I enjoy , take to car shows, wash and wax regularly....but it doesnt define who I am nor boosts my ego . I am grateful to have such a fun car to own .

As to your last question...am I sure about what ? Thanks.
Well, I totally agree with you - and yes not ALL TV evangelist's are not crooks, but those that I have mentioned are without a doubt false teachers, their doctrine is way off, and for the most part it's the prosperity message.
A 2006 Vette - (nice), I love cool cars also and that's a very cool car - I have a 1985 custom Harley and I enjoy it as well, and I drive a Mercedes, so I do not think it's wrong to own nice vehicles. So enjoy that Vette, (I would) - and if ever feel like God's telling you to give it away..........wellll>>>>>>>>>

The question was rhetorical - are you sure about your eternal security

Old 10-09-2009, 10:28 PM

2,008 posts, read 2,908,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
There's at least one problem with your second sentence.

Nobody has listed one single pastor who is paid millions of dollars.

You might as well be asking an irrelevant question like, "Should Barack Obama be allowed to keep his harem?"

So again, how many pastors do you know of, that you KNOW are making at least a million dollars per year salary?
Benny Hinn
Kenneth Copeland
Joyce Meyer
Crefto Dollar
Paula White
Mr Haggard "Currently owns a house in Colorado springs worth $715,000"

Old 10-10-2009, 09:25 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,465,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
Church - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . The description of a Church in this site, is not related to the Pastors salary. Why wouldnt it be 'a true Church' ?

Sorry RVLover, I do not get my definition of the church from Wikipedia !!!! I get it from the bible. It is the body of Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or