U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 10:38 AM

25,107 posts, read 34,371,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
why not, if you're so stupid to go to the church and listen to somebody, speaking and , then give him money, don't complain they are wealthy.
you are in a country where church is growing faster than mushroom just after the rain
In many communities in the United States, the Church (or churches) is the "center' of the community - or, at least they were until these communities grew so much larger.

I often wish we could go back to the quieter days were neighbors helped neighbors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 11:33 AM

2,497 posts, read 6,235,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Whips View Post
Just a question,not to get to controversial on the subject. Religion can cause heated conversation. Is it fair for a mega church to pay these salary? Would you attend a church that pays a million or two for salary?

I would like to think a preacher will preach God words out of the kindness of his heart,instead of a paycheck. If a preacher give most of his time to church,he should be compensated,but not that much. I think a normal salary is ok,no more than the average members salaries whom pays their tithes. Example, a pastor with a 1.5 million salary,but the people who attends the church live in stricken neighborhoods,which the church itself is located in a poor neighborhood.
Won't debate too deeply here as I do not endorse organized religion. However, when my Mom died here church charged us some hefty fees to have a mass for her. More fees for the priest's time etc etc.
My Mom was a 40+ year member of the church who gave generously every week. Then when she was no longer alive to give, the church came after me in my time of sorrow to make sure the check was made out properly. Sinister congregations with the veil of holiness.
No, preachers/priest/pastors whatever you call them should NOT get a fat salary. The money should go into college funds for the children of the church.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:06 AM

454 posts, read 511,993 times
It amazes me...people are so jealous. Who the **** wants to be a working man slaving for $2 an hour in the hot ass sun?

Being a preacher is actually quite a bit of work. Just like prostituting, drug dealings, etc. Although they are worlds apart, the manifestation of them are the same.

Think about...would you be able to handle a 1,000 member congregation (comfortably, not in the fields) working a $6 an hour job? Of course not! You have to have the money and resources to sustain such a crowd, and a regular Joe Schmo salary isn't going to cut it.

The more members, the more tithe, the more money...the more resources to create a comfortable environment. The days of sweating and fanning each other are long gone. Everything is technological these days...and that costs money.

Stop worrying about where other people are getting their money from and focus on your own

Nothing in the world for free...get it in your head!

But when it comes down to it though...I dont agree with what everyone tells me. I used to go to church, but it seems like they tend to 'put you out' more than bring you up. So unless you're living by their ideas of living (marrying, no drinking, no pre-marital sex) then you're going to be asking for forgiveness 3-5 times a week for backsliding and sinning.

People interpret things differently. If you have to hide and be downlow about what you do in your 'other' life...why subject yourself to made feeling bad about that every Sunday?

Last edited by Joei; 02-02-2010 at 01:16 AM..

Old 02-02-2010, 04:24 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,086,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What's the difference between Joel Osteen and Manny Ramirez, except maybe the steroids?
Manny is a professional ball player...Is Joel a professional Man of God?

Old 02-02-2010, 05:00 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,311,965 times
Just another highly paid executive of Jesus Christ Incorporated. There's good money in God these days.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:50 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,557,510 times
Mammon pays his most influential acolytes very well.

Remember you can buy god's forgiveness if you pay enough. It is called selling indulgences like the other church did a 1,000 years ago.

IMHO these churches are one of the biggest frauds even conceived.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:03 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,523,143 times
No........

Old 02-02-2010, 07:21 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,884,086 times
Joel Osteen is the embodiment of commoditization of faith. It is no lesser of a social sin against his fellow men than the very moral flaws he claims to warn and preach against. There's probably a long tenure waiting for him in purgatory if I were a betting man. Pharisees I tell you..

As a catholic myself, I actually make the same scathing review of certain congregations of my faith. We attempted to get married back in my wife's home state and the local congregation from the college town where we met and she's from wanted what amounted to an out-of-state fee for not being part of the congregation for six consecutive months. What is this, declaring my faith or getting a quote on freggin' car insurance?!?! So non-denominational christian church in an adjacent little town was it for us, and everybody got to share the moment. We're still catholic, but brother the commoditization of faith is getting out of control. Which is why we don't go to church on Sundays. For most people who subsidize this racket religion is a social club anyways, diving into the spiritual realm for an hour a week is just a freebie. I already have hobbies and interests outside work, I don't need to make church my social call.

So no, people who devout their lives to preaching faith shouldn't live an extravagant life. You can't have the cake and eat it too, and be righteous, don't ask Osteen that of course....

Old 02-02-2010, 09:34 AM

8,293 posts, read 22,461,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Joel Osteen is the embodiment of commoditization of faith. It is no lesser of a social sin against his fellow men than the very moral flaws he claims to warn and preach against. There's probably a long tenure waiting for him in purgatory if I were a betting man. Pharisees I tell you..

As a catholic myself, I actually make the same scathing review of certain congregations of my faith. We attempted to get married back in my wife's home state and the local congregation from the college town where we met and she's from wanted what amounted to an out-of-state fee for not being part of the congregation for six consecutive months. What is this, declaring my faith or getting a quote on freggin' car insurance?!?! So non-denominational christian church in an adjacent little town was it for us, and everybody got to share the moment. We're still catholic, but brother the commoditization of faith is getting out of control. Which is why we don't go to church on Sundays. For most people who subsidize this racket religion is a social club anyways, diving into the spiritual realm for an hour a week is just a freebie. I already have hobbies and interests outside work, I don't need to make church my social call.

So no, people who devout their lives to preaching faith shouldn't live an extravagant life. You can't have the cake and eat it too, and be righteous, don't ask Osteen that of course....
I think that one of the problems - especially with a lot of Catholic churches - is that they've built these opulent cathedrals, and now have to pay for heat and maintenance. They're in a world of hurt!

I know of a church where I used to live, in Minnesota, that had a $6,000+ heat bill one month. And that was about 10 years ago, and wasn't even a Catholic cathedral!

Actually, I have a feeling that a lot of churches pay a whole lot more for property upkeep than they do for a pastor's salary. Maybe we need more congregations meeting in rented Morton Buildings and less in giant cathedrals.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:18 PM

954 posts, read 1,478,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Well this question is usually directed at most of the so-called Christian denominations who claim the Bible to be their source of authority. So let's see what their LORD and master Jesus Christ had to say on the subject. When training his disciples to take over the ministry after his leaving, he made this important profound statement.

Matthew 10:8Jesus never charged one Drachma, one Shekel, one Denarius, etc for any type of payment for religious services rendered. Jesus' worst enemies were not pagan or atheists of the time, they were a corrupt religious hierarchy whose propensity at selfishness and greed were only match by individuals who manifested outright criminal behavior. So what happened after Jesus died ??? His apostles likewise had means of employment that had nothing to do with anything religious. They engaged in part time secular employment and yet were still full time ministers as were others recorded in the Greek Scriptures. It was only after the death of the apostles when the foretold apostacy encrouched on Christianity that powerful individuals created a monolithic unscriptural Ecclesiastic Hierarchy that demanded huge amount of tax for it's function and control.

Now, having pointed this out, I think anyone who belongs to some denomination as a registered member of an organization that demands you fork over 10% or whatever is obligated to pay those dues. It's not scripturally justified according to the foregoing information I just quoted from your own holy book to do so, but that's your desicison and whatever consequences that eventually result from your participation.

Don't like it ??? Then get out!!!
Jesus is the perfect Son of God - not a flawed human being. Equating a tithe as a 10% admission fee is as simplistic as equating Pat Robertson = Christianity. Try again when you have a grasp.

Thanks for playing, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or