U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 01:50 PM

8,649 posts, read 14,870,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What's the difference between Joel Osteen and Manny Ramirez, except maybe the steroids?
Joel Osteen does not take a salary from the church, so I have heard. He lives on his book sales, so I have heard... I'm not sure about his wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 02:56 PM

343 posts, read 1,231,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Whips View Post
Just a question,not to get to controversial on the subject. Religion can cause heated conversation. Is it fair for a mega church to pay these salary? Would you attend a church that pays a million or two for salary?

I would like to think a preacher will preach God words out of the kindness of his heart,instead of a paycheck. If a preacher give most of his time to church,he should be compensated,but not that much. I think a normal salary is ok,no more than the average members salaries whom pays their tithes. Example, a pastor with a 1.5 million salary,but the people who attends the church live in stricken neighborhoods,which the church itself is located in a poor neighborhood.

If he writes books and gets a salary from other things besides preaching then why not?

Alot of mega preaches make money off of books and other investments.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:37 PM

782 posts, read 3,431,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
If he writes books and gets a salary from other things besides preaching then why not?

Alot of mega preaches make money off of books and other investments.
Their is no problem with making money on books and investments. I'm talking about pastors who make 7 figure salaries for preaching.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:07 PM

15,533 posts, read 35,646,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
I think you're right on.

Also, aren't preachers supposed to take a vow of poverty? They're not supposed to live above their congregations. In these cases, far, far above.

It's really difficult to qualify someone as a servant of God when they're living so high on the hog.
No, that's a Catholic thing.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:20 PM

32,106 posts, read 39,170,046 times
Quote:
Their is no problem with making money on books and investments. I'm talking about pastors who make 7 figure salaries for preaching.
So what? The congregation must think he is worth it. If it's your church change churches or get the salary changed. If it's not, why do you care? Those congregations know exactly what they're paying. For the record I'm not religious.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:27 PM

5,757 posts, read 13,323,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
I certainly don't think that the minster of a church should be paid a million dollar salary. The ones I have the most respect for do not take a huge salary despite the huge amount of cash their minsitry brings in. Billy Graham, for example, has always taken a modest salary and has lived in the same house for like 50 years. Same for Rick Warren, pastor of the Saddleback Church out in California and author of the best seller "The Purpose Driven Life". Most people in Chrisitian churches are asked to tithe (give 10% of their income to the church). Warren reverse tithes. He doesn't take a salary from the church anymore since his books have been succesful and from that book money he gives 90% to the ministry and other charitable organizations and only keeps 10% to live on. Joel Osteen also doesn't take a salary from his mega church either and lives off his book money (I'm sure he's made a lot off of that, but he still gives a lot of it away). IMO, ministers/evangelists like these guys are doing it the right way.
I admire the Grahams and Warrens among the church leaders with national or international audiences, and would be fine with being a member of either man's church. I would not care to belong to one of the mega-churches for a number of reasons, one of them being the emphasis on money that seems to be found with many of them. I do agree with others on here who have expressed the thought that a pastor "should" receive a salary that would make him wealthy, if he's willing to take that salary and the congregation is willing to pay it. This is simply the free market at work. However, I would be uncomfortable with the collective values of such a church community (not necessarily the values of any individual member, because people could have a variety of reasons for being members), and I would certainly doubt the pastor's sincerity.

For a clergyman to make a decent professional salary is fine. Clergymen generally are more than "preachers." They are administrators who manage the entire organization of their churches, temples, etc., as well as doing hands-on humanitarian work. In many mainstream religions, the pastors, fathers, rabbis, etc., need graduate degrees to be assigned congregations. This is a serious professional calling, and it's reasonable for those in this profession to be paid accordingly. But I would feel uncomfortable, to say the least, with the values of both the church and the pastor in the case of a salary that made the pastor wealthy.

Last edited by ogre; 05-25-2009 at 06:35 PM..

Old 05-25-2009, 06:50 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
You're showing your age if you think a million dollars is a lot of money. Ten dollars an hour, 40 hours a week, from age 18 to 65, is a million dollars. WalMart greeter wages.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:10 PM

5,757 posts, read 13,323,224 times
I don't know what other people here are picturing, but I'm reading million-dollar salary to mean a million a year. That's a lot of money.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:13 PM

23,000 posts, read 31,949,672 times
Quote:
Just a question,not to get to controversial on the subject. Religion can cause heated conversation. Is it fair for a mega church to pay these salary? Would you attend a church that pays a million or two for salary?

I would like to think a preacher will preach God words out of the kindness of his heart,instead of a paycheck. If a preacher give most of his time to church,he should be compensated,but not that much. I think a normal salary is ok,no more than the average members salaries whom pays their tithes. Example, a pastor with a 1.5 million salary,but the people who attends the church live in stricken neighborhoods,which the church itself is located in a poor neighborhood.
I do not think a preacher should make a million dollar salary. As a christian, i think God would frown on any pastor making a million dollars every year and driving a rolls royce, especially if his church is in a poor hopeless area and has a economically challenged congregation. I dont think there is anything wrong with a pastor having a few nice things (i.e. large home in upper middle class neighborhood, investments for their family future) but the bling lifestyle should be avoided.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:29 PM

2,880 posts, read 5,071,331 times
Is that a rhetorical question?

As a motivational speaker? Sky is the limit.

As a man of the cloth? I think not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or